Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:22 am

I really like the front cover. :D I'll be putting my order in soon. Is it true that the covermount has returned? If so, what is on the covermount?

From the comments of what I have read so far about the covermount, I personally don't mind seeing the covermount returning as long as they don't raise the price of the magazine which I will then be unhappy with.

The sort of thing I would like to see on the covermount in future issues is a specially made Retro Gamer programme which features goodies such as Retro Gaming info, Reviews, Previews, Tips and Cheats etc etc that have not been covered in the magazine. The programme would be like in the style of the classic zx spectrum 'Pokemania' or 'Your Sinclair' covermount programmes that used to be featured on the speccy covertapes back in the day. What I don't want to see is stuff that can be easily downloaded on the internet for free.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is this a good idea?
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 am

The covermount was a free baby, don't get excited 'both

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 pm

There was no covermount! Think you may have mis-read (by quite a margin!!) :)

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:00 pm

markopoloman wrote:Ant & Paranoid - I knew we'd get canal jokes from you two :lol:

But only two!!!

and I expected so much more :roll:
May have been only two, but they raised a laugh from the girlfriend in question. Nice going!

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:09 pm

One of the best issues yet (in my 18 months of experience).

As someone said already, it seems more packed with content than usual.

Mario Kart article a bit long and rambling though (please though, a very minor criticism - I'm all for long articles, but it just didn't seem to work here somehow).
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 am

yethboth wrote:I really like the front cover. :D I'll be putting my order in soon. Is it true that the covermount has returned? If so, what is on the covermount?
I think I counted 7 "covermounts" in your post - I take it you would like a covermount then!!!!

I wouldn't mind a free mini copy of cANAL GOAT MAGAZINE as a freebie though :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:56 am

OK, unofficial thoughts upgraded to official feedback...

- love the cover, nice touches like the 60'00'00 time, it really works
- the MSX Retroinspection was excellent, great work Ash
- nice to read more about Zak
- as I said before, there was a nice variety of pieces, all of them well written
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 am

Don't forget mine 'Looked alwight from a distance'

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 pm

I expect this recent remake of Alien8 for MSX2 would have pushed for a place in the Perfect Ten if not for the fact that it's only very recently been completed:

You can get it here.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Ah - thanks to father frost granting me a monday off work - I was able to read iss 60 cover to cover today.

There was some real retro joy to this issue - all colourful and full of fun - which is at the end of the day all I want from my beloved hobby - I hope the spirit of this issue sets a template for some more smile making in iss 61.

(OK: one gripe to prove I'm not totally drunk - the system shchlock 2 article was waaay to long - but otherwise :D )

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
yethboth wrote:I really like the front cover. :D I'll be putting my order in soon. Is it true that the covermount has returned? If so, what is on the covermount?
I think I counted 7 "covermounts" in your post - I take it you would like a covermount then!!!!

I wouldn't mind a free mini copy of cANAL GOAT MAGAZINE as a freebie though :wink:
There's only six (the last one was "covertapes").

But what made him think there was a covermount in the first place!?

(or did I miss out on my free baby :evil:)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:24 am

The Master wrote:But what made him think there was a covermount in the first place!?
Check the very first post!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:24 am

Another excellent issue, though I think it would be pointless to say -once again- that this is the best issue ever. All I can say is I'm deeply impressed with the constant improvement of the mag and the monthly top quality content.

Oh, and adding those two pages to the retroinspection was an excellent idea.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Yeah, I loved this issue !
The chat with Eugene Jarvis as well was very interesting, he's a genius. I'm looking forward to next months issue as well ........ wonder why ? 8)
Perfect Pac Man - Play Margate 22/08/2015
Highest Pac Man score of the golden age (1978-84)
3,221,000 19th June 1983

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Pacman 83 wrote:The chat with Eugene Jarvis as well was very interesting, he's a genius.
A really fun interviewee, too. Hopefully, Darran or Stu will one day commission something on NARC or Cruis'n, given that Eugene said he'd be happy to chat with me about all of them.
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com