Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

mikeb wrote:Enjoyed the Frak! Making Of. And here was me thinking the name obviously came from Battlestar Galactica... Have'nt played it in a while but I did'nt remember the C64 version being that bad, but maybe I'm mixing it up with memories of the BBC game in the school computing dept. That's certainly one big fat Trog...
The biggest problem with Trog and his pixels being so wide on the C64 is that you cannot see very far ahead, making some of the leaps of faith even more difficult...

I'll wait for the official thread, but unofficially I'd say this is an EXCELLENT issue with a great range of content (from 8-bit to arcade to 16-bit to PC) and some very well written features. Great job, guys!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
The Master wrote:Today is the FIRST EVER DAY that I've grabbed hold of an issue of RG the very moment it hit the floormat.

Tore open the wrapping, opened at random, and inhaled deeply - MMMMMMmmmm, the scent of Robotron 2084.

This occasion must go down in history,

(now for another sniff)
I take it you didn't notice the page in the back telling you what next month's mag was featuring................

.....Stand back everyone - he's gonna blow...........

Oh, frak me....!

:D :D :D :D :D (etc)

If our delightful yellow friend doesn't get the main cover spot I'm going to camp naked outside the RG offices for a week in protest with the original arcade PCB clamped ornately round my nadgers.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

It's a good issue. I like mario kart and would prefer fewer in depth articles rather than lots of one or two page spreads. Would have been a lot better with a top 25 shmups though :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 pm

The Frak article was superb, really brought back the memories. Someone installed that on the BBC's at school so everyone started playing that game, not the best game but back then it was very good.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 pm

I've not had much time to read the issue much yet but I have read the MSX Retroinspection, and it was excellent. Great to see Space Manbow in the Perfect Ten - it's a pretty nifty shooter.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

I've had a quick glance through, looks a great issue, I'm playing catch up reading old issues I've bought plus I'm only 1/2 way through issue 59! the only reason i opened the sub bag was my g/f saw the mariokart cover and wanted to read it she loves the game...i think our 3000+ game dual on our DS' proves this!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am

Those of you who have girlfriends who read the mag, you're lucky. Mine reads Canal Boat magazine. She doesn't understand my retro passion at all :(

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:23 pm

neuromancer wrote:Those of you who have girlfriends who read the mag, you're lucky. Mine reads Canal Boat magazine. She doesn't understand my retro passion at all :(
Off to work now- but am really looking forward to all the 'canal' jokes/comments when I get back in :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

shifter

Post by shifter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm

been way to busy but getting though this issue.

Really like the MK feature had me glued to the very end.

Robotron2084 mmmmm the dribble on the pages i tried to blame on the dog but dont have a dog sighhhh.

Probally get flamed for this but the star letter on the letters page about the mini pacman was really intresting would love to have seen more about that kinda phone modding etc.

off to read some more 8)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:22 pm

neuromancer wrote:Those of you who have girlfriends who read the mag, you're lucky. Mine reads Canal Boat magazine.
So she takes pleasure from canal knowledge? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:55 pm

guess it doesn't float her boat...

Rather than criticising your retro passion , she should be whispering sweet conversational nothings like "goodness , something twice the size of the royal barge has just hoved into view between the sheets" :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:54 pm

See if you can find a canal boat simulator, i bet the Japanese have got one somewhere..... :?

only just opened mine today, having just got back from the wilds of Snowdonia. Great cover, Mariokart is one of my all time faves so i'm looking forward to this.... :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

raith_rover

Post by raith_rover » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Going to try and track down a copy. Failed in Edinburgh earlier, so hopefully can pick it up somewhere else that's normally a good bet.

It is disheartening that finding the mag is troublesome for some of us - yes, I know subscribe - with the shelves full of 360 and PS3 mags all proclaiming the same exclusives.

On the debate for the cover game, I enjoyed Mario Kart but never the same paramount zeal that many others managed.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Ant & Paranoid - I knew we'd get canal jokes from you two :lol:

But only two!!!

and I expected so much more :roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm

I liked the front cover, and the issue looks stuffed to the spine with good features. Have had a quick flick through but am going to have a proper read tomorrow when I get some time to myself. The R-TYPE feature looks awesome, though.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!