Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Got my copy yesterday too :D

Day off today - so will get to read it then.........

censored cover BTW! Mario Kart is over rated crap! (IMHO) :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

rich

Post by rich » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm

I thought it was a great issue :) The Mario Kart feature was fine, the Ovine interview was interesting, I liked the making of Zak McK too.

The MSX feature was fascinating, especially as the HX10 is the 8-bit I cut my gaming teeth on, and loved it dearly. Exposure to all those classic Konami cartridges at such a young age left a lasting impression on me.

My only complaint so far is that #5 of the "Perfect 10" MSX games is Bomberman which opens with "Spectrum owners will recognise this game as Eric and the Floaters" - actually, MSX owners will too, because that is exactly what it was called on the MSX as well, published in the UK by Kuma. I've got my copy sat proud on the shelf behind me, as it's still one of my all-time favourite games.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:03 am

Just noticed that I am wrong about the MK feature, but even though it is about the franchise and not a single game I still think it is too long. 10% of an issue devoted to one feature is too much to keep my interest. I think 6 pages is an absolute maximum for me.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:16 am

Great issue, superb to see Sir Lancelot get some love ! Great game

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am

SirClive wrote:Just noticed that I am wrong about the MK feature, but even though it is about the franchise and not a single game I still think it is too long. 10% of an issue devoted to one feature is too much to keep my interest. I think 6 pages is an absolute maximum for me.
It funny cos I was fed up when I had finished reading it - I wanted more pages!!

Oh, well!

The mag content looked great from my customary flick through - At first glance this (plus last month) look like the mag is going in a really good direction (content / design) wise.

Just a quick question - why is there a retrobate profile slapped in the middle of the letters page?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 am

The Master wrote:Today is the FIRST EVER DAY that I've grabbed hold of an issue of RG the very moment it hit the floormat.

Tore open the wrapping, opened at random, and inhaled deeply - MMMMMMmmmm, the scent of Robotron 2084.

This occasion must go down in history,

(now for another sniff)
I take it you didn't notice the page in the back telling you what next month's mag was featuring................

.....Stand back everyone - he's gonna blow...........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:29 am

Good issue, but why isn't there a list of the MK games in the feature... I mean surely that should have been included in an 8 page feature! I know we all know all about the MK series, but any features before in the same vein always lists the games in the series, date of release, system and a comment, so why not here.. oh and a list of all tracks would have been nice too..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:48 am

Great issue & my 1st of the subscription that Mrs_the_hawk got me for Xmas.

An excellent start - it's one of the few mags I read cover to cover.

The gap in my knowledge concerning the history of the MSX has now been filled.

Thank you. :D

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:37 am

So far.....superb! Real eye catching cover, love pixel look (like the outrun cover) Love Mario Kart so the features length suits me fine! Always wanted to know more about the MSX. Great collector's corner (wish I had a neigbour like that!) A good mixture of genres and platforms in there.

LoneGunman

Post by LoneGunman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:32 am

Possible the best issue ever!

Especially as it covers my two all time fav games - Mario Kart and R-Type.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 am

The MSX is a superb machine, never had one before but with emulation i've downloaded tons of games, some excellent Konami games for it. Very underated machine, love the old skool games for it

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 am

Superb issue. Best for a long time (and they've all been good), and I'm not even a Mario Kart fan.
Can't believe you've scooped an interview with the creator of Pacman for next issue. Way to go.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 am

I was very pleased my personal worst game ever featured in Retro Shamer!

Transformers on the 8 bits take a bow. You destroyed a little piece of my childhood and £8.00 pocket money!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am

Enjoyed the Frak! Making Of. And here was me thinking the name obviously came from Battlestar Galactica... Have'nt played it in a while but I did'nt remember the C64 version being that bad, but maybe I'm mixing it up with memories of the BBC game in the school computing dept. That's certainly one big fat Trog...

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:00 am

SirClive wrote:Just noticed that I am wrong about the MK feature, but even though it is about the franchise and not a single game I still think it is too long. 10% of an issue devoted to one feature is too much to keep my interest. I think 6 pages is an absolute maximum for me.
You've been a grump lately !!

Must be Rafas rant and 3rd place doing your'e head in matey !! :)

Great issue - even though i don't like MK much .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer