Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

YAY its here. after a day of gloom and doom and talk of pay cuts and redundancies its exactly what i needed to find when i got home.
I think the 8page spread and cover is justified - even though i was never able to get into Mario games, it was the best of them i think - and the editorial makes a very valid point regards the appeal of 2d over 3d games. As it happens I was having this debate with a group of 18teen yr old guys this morning. They were amused at the look of games like xcom and head over heals and remarked 'how can you play those, they aint even in 3d'
the debate will continue tomorrow I am taking in old and 'newest' versions of Prince of Persia.
laters
Pz
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Hmm. That R-Type mothership blow-up looks strangely familiar ;)

Nice article though Stuart, top stuff.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I think 8 pages is OK once in a while for a great game series like the mario karts - fab cover too :)

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Delighted it's out and it looks like a great issue!

I'm looking forward to my monthly Saturday routine now.

Get up early, make the good lady a quick bit of breakfast and drive into town to do the monthly banking transactions. Then head to WH Smith's and buy RetroGamer. Then go to the wee cafe I like and order a huge breakfast to eat while giving RG it's first good readthrough. Then haircut, then home.

Cue "where have you been???? You've been gone for ages!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darran, any chance of a wee featurette on the great games from the Disney stable? Quackshot, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion etc?

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm quite worried that WH Smiths are gonna be sold out by the time I get there with that on the cover. Far too mainstream for my liking :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

JackBurton-Me wrote:Darran, any chance of a wee featurette on the great games from the Disney stable? Quackshot, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion etc?
I second the new guy's suggestion. This would be quite welcome in a guilty-pleasure kind of way (I have a good few Disneys on dvd).

Mario Kart's a franchise I have a good interest in, so while I can't judge this without reading it (all I have to go on so far is the cover, but there's some old cliché cautioning against something like that), maybe eight pages is too much. I'm trying to think of articles that I thought went on too long, not counting the Starwars game write-up which had a tremendous amount of ground to cover. How long was the Boulder Dash one? I thought that was a tad lengthy.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

SirClive wrote:Like I say, the choice of game was sound, but from what I can see only 1 page covers other games in the franchise?
You've totally lost me here. The first 1,000 words discuss super mario kart. The other 3,000 words cover the rest of the franchise.

Of course, a smarty pants would turn around and say all the games are the same anyway (they'd be wrong of course) but I otherwise can't see how you think only one of those eight pages discusses the rest of the series when that's blatantly not the case...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
SirClive wrote:Like I say, the choice of game was sound, but from what I can see only 1 page covers other games in the franchise?
You've totally lost me here. The first 1,000 words discuss super mario kart. The other 3,000 words cover the rest of the franchise.

Of course, a smarty pants would turn around and say all the games are the same anyway (they'd be wrong of course) but I otherwise can't see how you think only one of those eight pages discusses the rest of the series when that's blatantly not the case...

I wouldn't know, I havent read it yet :(

(i've got to stop reading this thread and depressing myself!)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Can I just interject - Is it sad that around the time I know RG is coming out I check the forum about 20 times a day to see if there's a new feedback thread up meaning it's out? :lol: :oops: :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Not the greatest cover (there've been some REALLY good ones lately) but some tasty looking content
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Best issue in a long time. Last issue was a bit dull on content -I did like the isometric feature though.

However, this issue has so much goodness in it. Loved the MSX feature, always nice to see info on less well know machines, maybe one day there will be an FM-Towns feature.

Love Zak and R-type, and even made me dig out "System Shock 2", not had a great deal of luck running it on my Vista Machine though :(.

Keep up the great work
Last edited by Spacepatrol on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm

clarance wrote:I'm quite worried that WH Smiths are gonna be sold out by the time I get there with that on the cover. Far too mainstream for my liking :)
If you want to hurry, there's loads in Hereford at the moment, about a week ahead of what I would expect. RUN, COWARD!
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:48 pm

The Master wrote:
clarance wrote:I'm quite worried that WH Smiths are gonna be sold out by the time I get there with that on the cover. Far too mainstream for my liking :)
If you want to hurry, there's loads in Hereford at the moment, about a week ahead of what I would expect. RUN, COWARD!
Dude, I never hurry.

Hey lady what can you expect when I'm lying on the floor.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:55 pm

clarance wrote:
The Master wrote:
Dude, I never hurry.

What? I'm not too bad at chess, but I'm not brilliant look.

gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

The Master wrote:
clarance wrote:
The Master wrote: If you want to hurry, there's loads in Hereford at the moment, about a week ahead of what I would expect. RUN, COWARD!
Dude, I never hurry.

What? I'm not too bad at chess, but I'm not brilliant look.

There you go.

Sorry, black to play.