Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 pm

i think hydrox has hit it on the head - it's a generally good article - it's just not a very RG article. If the direction of the mag went towards this type of coverage, I think most people would probably lose interest.

Somehow PC gaming doesnt have the same feeling amusing fanboy camaraderie as early micros or consoles.

but to to put it all in context: the rest of the issue was a corker!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:14 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Somehow PC gaming doesnt have the same feeling amusing fanboy camaraderie as early micros or consoles.
I shouldn't be poisoning this with going on a tangent, but how is it even possible to fanboy a moving and multifaced target?

(Mixed issue as usual - Mario Kart was nothing special personally.)

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Somehow PC gaming doesnt have the same feeling amusing fanboy camaraderie as early micros or consoles.
I have to disagree here. But, I don't understand why the recent PC features mostly had to be about post-DOS games when the DOS games are the ones people feel most nostalgic about, probably especially within the target age group.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

NorthWay wrote:how is it even possible to fanboy a moving and multifaced target?
What?

(use the levers and trimming)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

I think he was saying that the PC is essentially a different machine every couple of years as it evolves - not like say a Megadrive which is a fixed platform. ( And it's a good point. )

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I think he was saying that the PC is essentially a different machine every couple of years as it evolves
Yep. Even right now it comes in many guises. AMD or Intel? Singel-core, dual-core, quad-core, 6-way, octa-core? SMT or not? DDR 1/2/3? Mini-ATX or full? Small or full doghouse(mine)? Keyboard, mouse, joystick, or XBox controller? 1/2/4/6/8 GB memory? Silent or jetengine? AMD or nVidia gfx? Windows XP, Vista, 64bit, or WINE and Linux?

A bit of a moving target for both hw and sw... not easy to be exact about what you're idolizing.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 am

NorthWay wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:I think he was saying that the PC is essentially a different machine every couple of years as it evolves
Yep. Even right now it comes in many guises. AMD or Intel? Singel-core, dual-core, quad-core, 6-way, octa-core? SMT or not? DDR 1/2/3? Mini-ATX or full? Small or full doghouse(mine)? Keyboard, mouse, joystick, or XBox controller? 1/2/4/6/8 GB memory? Silent or jetengine? AMD or nVidia gfx? Windows XP, Vista, 64bit, or WINE and Linux?

A bit of a moving target for both hw and sw... not easy to be exact about what you're idolizing.
Well, but there are still fanboys, they just have to limit themselves to certain things. Like DOS, adventures, CGA, 3DFX or whatever

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 am

Bit late, but have just read the Making Of Zak McKracken whilst sat on the bog. Top stuff. Insightful, well written and Mike, you really let the creators have their say. Nice one. Definitely worth the red ring round my arse.

rolan

Post by rolan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am

yeah the zak mccracked bit was wonderful, i dont remember it ever being on cd so i always felt it was a "lost" game even when i was playing all the other lucasarts games in the mid-90s

rolan

Post by rolan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:46 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote: Somehow PC gaming doesnt have the same feeling amusing fanboy camaraderie as early micros or consoles.
I think it's because for a lot of people there are only so many times you can put up with a game not working/not detecting the soundcard/ not working with a joypad/ needing more memory or some stupid graphics care before you just get fed up and go back to the simplicity of consoles

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, it's been an unusually protracted process this month, but I finally possess a copy of Load 60. It dropped in my door this morning. AND I'M IN IT! AWESOME!!!

Haven't had a chance to read much of it yet, just the homebrew bits and some of the current-gen reviews. My brother's the one with the X-Box 360 and his verdict on Sonic Unleashed matches yours almost word-for-word; some of the best proper Sonicking ever let down by frequent clunky interludes. I still haven't had a good hands-on myself, but at least it seems they're heading in the right direction....
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Ruudos

Post by Ruudos » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 am

You missed one really nice game in the articles about product placement in games. It's "Yogho! Yogho! Spel". For the Dutch market, I think you could get it by sending some cut-out barcodes to the company who made Yogho! Yogho! (a yoghurt drink).

http://www.abandonia.com/sv/games/17184 ... Yogho.html

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 pm

It also didn't mention that iced tea company that sponsored Virtua Fighter Kids in Japan, but I'm coming kinda late to this thread so someone's probably already mentioned it.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Ruudos wrote:You missed one really nice game in the articles about product placement in games. It's "Yogho! Yogho! Spel". For the Dutch market, I think you could get it by sending some cut-out barcodes to the company who made Yogho! Yogho! (a yoghurt drink).

http://www.abandonia.com/sv/games/17184 ... Yogho.html
Ruuuuudos *waves* How's it going mate?

Two other overlooked ad games that are quite important and good:

Bifi: 2 Fast 4 U
Tony & Friends (aka the Kelloggs Jump n Run)

NorthWay

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Post by NorthWay » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Front: Unsure.
MSX: It needed its story told.
Robotron: Yes yes yes.
Zak: Nice.
System Shock: Old? Perhaps. Retro? No. And it was more about a series than a single game.
Advert: Interesting.
Frak: Very nice.
End-game: That ad should not have been good, but for some reason I like it. But then you go on about the arcade version?