Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks Craig.

Very keen for System Shock 2 and Zak McKraken... who wrote those two?

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:37 pm

wow sscott - that new My Nintenbaby DS game you're playing has great graphics

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:13 pm

I felt quite guilty picking up this issue tonight. Looked at the cover and saw System Shock 2, a game that's been sitting in my 'new games to play' pile for so long its become retro :oops:
For years I've been saving it, first until I had a PC to do it justice, then until the hi-res pack was complete, then until I had a decent holiday to play it in... and now I feel like I've missed out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm

craigritchie wrote: Very keen for System Shock 2 and Zak McKraken... who wrote those two?
Holds up hand regarding a very *pink* Zak making of...

Nice issue so far - Robotron and R-Type in the same issue eh?
Shame about all that Mario Kart guff tho*

*I jest of course Mr Jones ;)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Really enjoyed this issue, I agree there seems more content, liked the product placement in games feature. Nice to see you defending Mario Kart 64, I like it too. Would like to have seen more of the collectors corner.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 pm

8 pages and a front cover is far to much for a single game. Particularly when it is an extremely overrated game.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 pm

I quite liked MK64. I thought it was a bit easy though, but I liked it. I haven't been home yet, so I don't know if its arrived but, if it has, toilet time beckons!!!!! :D :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

SirClive wrote:8 pages and a front cover is far to much for a single game. Particularly when it is an extremely overrated game.
I don't agree. I'd perhaps rather it wasn't this particular game, but that's a matter of personal taste. I'd be more than happy for that amount of coverage of a game I had real love for.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Hell of a front cover, though. Yellow. BRIGHT yellow. Retro Gamer is always so easy to spot on the shelves.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Today is the FIRST EVER DAY that I've grabbed hold of an issue of RG the very moment it hit the floormat.

Tore open the wrapping, opened at random, and inhaled deeply - MMMMMMmmmm, the scent of Robotron 2084.

This occasion must go down in history,

(now for another sniff)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm

SirClive wrote:8 pages and a front cover is far to much for a single game. Particularly when it is an extremely overrated game.
Bit harsh - while I'm not really a fan I think it was probably the most cover-worthy title this issue, if in terms of popularity and retro adulation, though Robotron would have been nice (seeing as R-Type's already been 'covered', so to speak).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I agree it should be in there and that it is a cover worthy choice. I just think the feature is at least 2 pages too long. That is about 10% of the content on one game.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Hey, I know at least one random "from the street" person who bought it JUST because of our favourite plumber on the cover.

I know one isn't a lot, but cube it by my width, girth and presence, and you're probably onto something, hey...

gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm

It's not a single game, it's an entire franchise, one of Nintendo's biggest. The Wii version has been an incredible success and RG is just trying to get some of those millions of new Nintendo owners to take a look at the mag :wink:

There hasn't been a 16-based cover for a few months now so I think it was a fair and well-timed choice.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Like I say, the choice of game was sound, but from what I can see only 1 page covers other games in the franchise?