Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:I've now read through the magazine and found the Robotron interview absolutely fascinating, yet some people think there's been too much Robotron (you can never have enough Robotron!)
Glad you liked the article. Kinda funny people think there's been too much Robotron in RG, too. Yeah, it's been mentioned a lot in passing, but in terms of page count, it's had, what?, a RR DPS from Darran, a slot in the SHMUPs article, and this making-of in the Imagine RG run. That's under a half-dozen pages in 40 or so issues!

Kudos really to Mr Jarvis, though, for being such a great interviewee.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:I
Now I would like to know why I can't get into my original account...
I'm working on it, but my admin skills are crap to say the least...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:50 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote: Glad you liked the article. Kinda funny people think there's been too much Robotron in RG, too. Yeah, it's been mentioned a lot in passing, but in terms of page count, it's had, what?, a RR DPS from Darran, a slot in the SHMUPs article, and this making-of in the Imagine RG run. That's under a half-dozen pages in 40 or so issues!
I was thinking about this the other day, when someone mentioned the horror of having to read about Jon Ritman and Jon Hare again. I personally like to think that the main reason why people think there's a lot of repetition with certain people is because they tend to keep hold of their mags, re-read them and then get their issues confused. So they don't necessarily think, I read a piece on Jon Ritman that was in issue 23, but "hey I've already recently read about Jon Ritman".

something like that anyway...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 pm

I liked the issue. The MSX feature was great. But I reckon R-TYPE would have looked better on the cover ........unless its already been done and I've been under a rock for years (my memory is that crap!)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Garystone10

Post by Garystone10 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:35 am

JetSetWilly wrote:But I reckon R-TYPE would have looked better on the cover ........unless its already been done and I've been under a rock for years (my memory is that crap!)
Issue 21 and the Emag....

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:33 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I was thinking about this the other day, when someone mentioned the horror of having to read about Jon Ritman and Jon Hare again. I personally like to think that the main reason why people think there's a lot of repetition with certain people is because they tend to keep hold of their mags, re-read them and then get their issues confused.
That's definitely part of it. With the bulk of the mag not being remotely topical, it's one of those things that you can read any time and not miss anything, or reread a year or two later and still get value from. (This contrasts with almost every other games mag, given that they're almost all 'of the moment'.)

I suspect with some games designers, there's also the fact they're simply more approachable and willing to divulge the secrets of their games. I've done, what?, four Hare-oriented making-ofs in RG mk II (Parallax, Wizball, SWOS, Cannon Fodder), and so he has been in the mag somewhat frequently (although that averages only once every ten issues or so). However, when someone's made so many great games, it'd be a crime to ignore them, just because someone's been interviewed before.

I guess the important thing is just to avoid repetition (it'd be pointless to do another Wizball article, but SEUCK or Wizkid would make sense), and mention Robotron as much as is humanely possible, obv. (Just joking, Robotron-haters, bizarre people that you are.)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:53 am

Garystone10 wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:But I reckon R-TYPE would have looked better on the cover ........unless its already been done and I've been under a rock for years (my memory is that crap!)
Yeah there will never be another R-Type cover or any other repeat of a gamer that's been on the cover. We always try and do the best possible cover first time around.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:44 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah there will never be another R-Type cover or any other repeat of a gamer that's been on the cover. We always try and do the best possible cover first time around.
Which means there's every chance of a Bionic Granny cover in around, ooh, issue 489025. Excellent!

DRS

Post by DRS » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:I've now read through the magazine and found the Robotron interview absolutely fascinating, yet some people think there's been too much Robotron (you can never have enough Robotron!)
Glad you liked the article. Kinda funny people think there's been too much Robotron in RG, too. Yeah, it's been mentioned a lot in passing, but in terms of page count, it's had, what?, a RR DPS from Darran, a slot in the SHMUPs article, and this making-of in the Imagine RG run. That's under a half-dozen pages in 40 or so issues!

Kudos really to Mr Jarvis, though, for being such a great interviewee.
We did have him as a castaway way back in issue 24. That was thanks to Darran who gave me Eugene's contact details after he'd done a really nice Making Of Robotron for GamesTM. I suppose the feeling of deja vu might be due to so many people picking Robotron as one of their Desert Island Disks. Which is understandable as it's bloody good.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Garystone10 wrote:
Yeah there will never be another R-Type cover or any other repeat of a gamer that's been on the cover. We always try and do the best possible cover first time around.

.......I knew that. I was just...erm....testing your brain power! (oh, shi....)

:lol: :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:08 am

With a few of the Ocean gang at Byte-Back it would be good to hear from Joffa SMith whodid many clasic games or Mark Jones who did many famous loding screens. Always seemed like a dream working for Ocean in the 80's

rolan

Post by rolan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 am

great issue but one little criticism.

The system shock 2 feature is a bit difficult to keep track of as it seems to be a feature on about 10 games at once, for someone unfamiliar with the game I found I almost needed to take notes as the article kept bouncing around between system shock 1 and 2, thief1,2,3, bioshock and deus ex machina and other games in the genre. It wasnt made any easier by references to the dark project and then the dark engine and then lots of vague tie-ins to doom and john carmack... I just found the whole thing confusing... a box out going hey... these are the games in this series or an article more focused on the game it was suppossed to be about would have made it an easier read... still interesting tho, just utterly bewildering.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 pm

rolan wrote:great issue but one little criticism.

The system shock 2 feature is a bit difficult to keep track of as it seems to be a feature on about 10 games at once, for someone unfamiliar with the game I found I almost needed to take notes as the article kept bouncing around between system shock 1 and 2, thief1,2,3, bioshock and deus ex machina and other games in the genre. It wasnt made any easier by references to the dark project and then the dark engine and then lots of vague tie-ins to doom and john carmack... I just found the whole thing confusing... a box out going hey... these are the games in this series or an article more focused on the game it was suppossed to be about would have made it an easier read... still interesting tho, just utterly bewildering.
mildly agree with the above (I say mildly as I dont like PC games much, so my objectivity is suspect on this).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:31 am

psj3809 wrote:With a few of the Ocean gang at Byte-Back it would be good to hear from Joffa SMith whodid many clasic games or Mark Jones who did many famous loding screens. Always seemed like a dream working for Ocean in the 80's
I'm already in contact with Joffa about doing an interview...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
rolan wrote:great issue but one little criticism.

mildly agree with the above (I say mildly as I dont like PC games much, so my objectivity is suspect on this).
Me too, and I'm quite familiar with the games featured. I have these gripes with the feature:

1) It's way too technical. Things like the sound influencing the AI would have been covered in 1-2 sentences in a normal article.

2) It assumes to much knowledge of PC games. We all know how 8-bit and console orientated the readers of RG are. You can't expect them to get that a certain John Romero game means Doom etc etc. The article assumes you know all these popular PC games when in fact it should help you get to know them

3) The influence of the game is overrated. Almost all examples cited are games by the same developers or in the same series. And most of the ones in the Legacy boxout haven't been influenced at all (especially the RPGs). Also, the list includes a game influenced by Deus Ex because that was influenced by SS2. That's going to far. That way basically every game is influenced by Pong or similar. It's not worth mentioning.

4) The feature doesn't know what it's about. It makes you think it's about SS2 (or maybe the series) at first but then tries to focus on the influence of the game. At the same time it tries to explain all the games mentioned which just isn't possible. It also doesn't seem to know whether Thief or SS2 is more important.

5) I bet someone not having played SS2 (or even similar games) doesn't understand at all what the feature is about. The game isn't described at all (other than saying it's an FPS/RPG hybrid). How are people supposed to understand the AI technicalities if they have no idea what the game's like?!

Having said all that, the text isn't bad. It's just that, contrary to usual contents of the mag, it's aimed at people knowing the game or at least the other Looking Glass / Irrational games. It's an interesting read for them but I can't imagine any Spectrum-only gamer finishing it.