Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:why expect RG to be the exception?
Because we're effectively the only magazine dedicated to our subject in the UK and as a result are expected to be the definate source on the subject.

Of course I could point out that many dedicated magazines get their info wrong, but that's beside the point...

Certain readers will expect you to do certain things and they're well within their rights as a paying customer to point these things out. I actually finds Steve's comments quite refreshing, they're far more useful to me than the usual "this month had things I love/hate, so this month's issue was amazing/rubbish.
I'm not rubbishing Steve's right to reply - I'm just saying to err is human - and any magazine as rich in content as RG has the right to one or two bloopers an issue...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 am

but to complain is British - and any reader as rich in wit as Steve has the right to one or two whinges an issue... ;)

This is a feedback thread, if it is all going to be sycophantic 'we love RG' then whats the point.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:12 pm

wow - i'm getting a good beat down on this topic :shock: - thought I was being pretty even and reasonable.

Sir Clive I dont recall saying the feeback thread should all be 'RG is great all the time' - i'm just suggesting that errors and omissions aren't much fun to read...

I also thought Darran was little harsh giving out to people who drop a line to say they like or dislike the issue. For most of us, RG's just a bit of fun - why would we write essays de-constructing the magazine? I'm more than happy to leave the contents in Darran and co's capable hands.

(perhaps and errors and omissions thread would be a good idea - leaving feedback free for other stuff? )

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:

(perhaps and errors and omissions thread would be a good idea - leaving feedback free for other stuff? )

Seconded, thats a great idea!

(it'll keep the pedants happy)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm

nokgod wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:

Seconded, thats a great idea!

(it'll keep the pedants happy)
Apologies Timothy. I wasn't trying to be bolshy. I just wanted to point out that everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. It was late, and I know doubt could have worded it better than I did.

A seperate column for errors would be one stop away from having a trainspotters award, and it wouldn't serve it's purpose because I'd have no interest in looking at it ;)

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:06 am

As I incorrectly stated in the issue 59 thread, the MSX feature was bloody fantastic. Top stuff.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 am

[quote="Timothy Lumsden"]Anyone else find the constant nit-picking at small errors in articles is taking all the fun out of this forum?

I read RG for fun between changing nappies and shovelling show - errors happen in every part of life - why expect RG to be the exception?[/quote

Think we should have a YS Trainspotter type award though, they had small tiny mistakes in their issues back then, just made fun out of it.

I enjoyed seeing that huge Scooby Doo screenshot, my best mate bought that game back then (I was gutted, wanted him to get a different one), knew about the Hi-Tec game released years later late in the Speccys life but it didnt ruin my enjoyment of the column / mag etc.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:A seperate column for errors would be one stop away from having a trainspotters award
Which a lot of us already said would be a grand idea a while ago.
A useful "errata" with a bit of added geek-hood, and good ol' nostalgia.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:40 am

Think it would make it a bit more 'fun' and not so serious when someone complains about the editoral quality when a full stop has been missed.

Worked very well back in the day for YS and brings back more of the retro feel to the mag ?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 am

I agree it would be fun, but you can see why the staff wouldn't want a list of their possible errors published every month though.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 am

jdanddiet wrote:I agree it would be fun, but you can see why the staff wouldn't want a list of their possible errors published every month though.
Its surely not that difficult to make it so that errors are acknowledged, and rectified,whilst being fun. FHM just stick a small column in the mag somewhere as a space filler, offer a t-shirt or something for the most outrageous error spotted, and everyone's happy!

Why not do the same? ( i need a new T-shirt :wink: )
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:the rubbish scooby and scrappy doo
The WHAT Scooby And Scrappy Doo?

You and me, car park, now.

http://amr.abime.net/review_370

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:the rubbish scooby and scrappy doo
The WHAT Scooby And Scrappy Doo?

You and me, car park, now.

http://amr.abime.net/review_370
Ill bring the baseball bat, you bring the big, pointy sticks!!! :lol: :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 am

Talking of errors, i noticed in the Mario Kart article about the Blue 'heat seeking' shell thing was only in N64 and Advance versions, but its also in the DS version, and its probably on of the games annoying features! THE one reason why you can never have a serious race on Mario Kart!

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I seemed to have started something :S.

Despite only showing up on this forum every few months or so to voice an opinion, I was never here just to complain and should probably explain myself a bit more. This is one of the only video game forums I still read mostly down to the decline of intelligence on the internet in the last few years ('ths gam sux', 'halo is bettr! lolz'. etc - the comments on youtube and the like make me wonder about the future of mankind...). The other reason is because I have yet to understand why anybody would suck up or rubbish something without giving any reason why. Just seems like a waste of time to me.

I do think RG IS a bit of fun as people have said and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's a shame when you become so engrossed in a magazine, in RG's case at its best when an article brings back fuzzy feelings of years gone by. Then suddenly you snap back to reality just because something you've read is factually wrong (SF2 came out in 1991 NOT 1990!). I really expect it elsewhere. RG is now the only video games magazine I buy because I think the others are completely full of it; particullarly down to reasons that RG's main man mentioned in his recent editorial (though on a seperate matter, RG did rate Super Smash Bros Brawl and Rez ridiculously high and I have yet to meet anybody that still bothers with either to be honest).

Darran's responce to my post was surprisingly very good and I empathise with deadlines and the like. In my line of work and play, I totally get this.

Going back to the current issue, I would like to add that I've now read through the magazine and found the Robotron interview absolutely fascinating, yet some people think there's been too much Robotron (you can never have enough Robotron!). So diff'rent strokes an' all and in closing, there's your early u-turn from me, Darran ;).

Now I would like to know why I can't get into my original account...