Official Feedback Thread - Issue 60

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 am

Zetr0 wrote:ARrrrrGGGGggghhhh NOT ROBOTRON!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!
To be fair, this is the only time the mag's featured Robotron in this capacity, interviewing Eugene Jarvis about his creation.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

thl

Post by thl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:11 am

Picked it up few days ago. Really like the Super Mario Kart and R-Type features which are still my favourite games and would be regarded as classics.

Good mention on the 'Advert Rising' feature as I'm still familiar with the Chupa Chups logo in Zool and the Lucozade bottle in Superfrog.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:So as you clearly rate it can we have a feature and put it on the cover?
I have it on good authority that issue 61 of Retro Gamer is a World Cup Carnival special*. Not only is it the cover game, but 58 of Retro Gamer's pages are taken up exploring the nuances of this classic game**.

* This is a big fib.
** So is this.
Looking forward to all the extra goodies in issue 61, only to be disappointed it's exactly the same as issue 34.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Crazyreyn

Post by Crazyreyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm

thl wrote:Good mention on the 'Advert Rising' feature as I'm still familiar with the Chupa Chups logo in Zool and the Lucozade bottle in Superfrog.
Indeed! It was those and the Penguin bars in Robocod that got the ball rolling for the article. A lot of Amiga platformers had 'em.
"Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!"

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Superb work as usual, many thanks to all involved. So many amazing articles this issue. Currently nibbling away at it, but the Boss Rush and Super Punch out features are great!

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:07 pm

I stopped subscribing to this magazine a while ago. I did not think the articles were well enough researched (and losing issues when the publisher went bust puts you off). More depth and less breadth would be the only way to get me back

I bought this issue for the MSX coverage. My first computer was a Sony MSX. The article was ok but it had quite a few errors about the hardware (the same ones as Wikipedia). It is difficult to cover an attempt at a world home computer standard in a few pages and give it justice. I have fond memories of Penguin Adventure and Konami in general (apart from Green Beret programmed in the UK) the simple anime style graphics still work today.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:51 pm

Cripper2 wrote:More depth and less breadth would be the only way to get me back
Unfortunately that's never going to happen.

Retro is such a diverse subject that if you were to go down to say 5 big articles you run the risk of alienating those who have no interest in them. In an ideal world it would be wonderful if we could devote 20 pages to machines like the MSX but the mag would disappear quicker than you could say "why are you giving so much coverage to a machine I've never even heard of?"

Of course the answer you'd no doubt give is "I love learning about new stuff" and it's a perfectly valid answer. Unfortunately I'd say more people buy RG purely for the nostalgia fix and going down the route of giving more indepth features on things that could potentially alienate them is not healthy for any magazine's fture.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 am

I'm a big fan of the MSX but i think it had enough pages in this months issue. Its a great machine, very underated but if there were a fair few more pages then i'm sure you'll hear the complaints that it was too long.

I thought the original Retro Gamer had too many long articles, much prefer Mk II where theres many more articles in the mag, if theres one or two i'm not keen on personally, there'll be plenty of other things to read about.

From this forum i'm amazed at the different tastes here, very difficult to cater for all. If in next months issue theres a 20 page feature on the Dragon 32 then it'll probably not sell too well !

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:35 am

psj3809 wrote:Dragon 32
The what 32?!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 am

Yes, much as though I'm a big fan of Retroinspections, I think 6 pages is plenty. Obviously it's not going to satisfy MSX veterans, but it's really aimed at people who, like me, only have a basic knowledge of the system and its games. Certainly the Perfect Ten and the subsequent page full of screenshots have given me plenty to look out for. There's plenty more info on the web if I need it, and besides I'm sure the MSX will crop up from time to time in relevant Classic Game/Making of/Retroinspection articles in the future. That'd be better than an MSX overload all in one place.

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm afraid I'm slowly preferring the original RG based on what's been printed in the last few issue.

Seems okay so far (not sure I can forgive the broken promise that was the Making Of Space Invaders mind!) but I keep spotting these really stupid mistakes, clearly down to lack of research and lately it's almost stopped me from buying the mag (and this is just stood reading it in WH Smiths! C'mon, I'm hardly an expert on the history of games and stuff and don't believe I'm the only one).

Case in point; not sure if anybody has noticed it yet here and I was gonna post this as soon as I got the mag but decided to let it go for a week... Then I could takes it no more! Anyway, on page 58, regarding Scooby Doo, Darran states, "Little wonder that it was another nine years before someone else was brave enough to release a game based on the iconic doggy."

Must have forgotten about the little corker below then, eh?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004368

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:I'm afraid I'm slowly preferring the original RG based on what's been printed in the last few issue.

Seems okay so far (not sure I can forgive the broken promise that was the Making Of Space Invaders mind!) but I keep spotting these really stupid mistakes, clearly down to lack of research and lately it's almost stopped me from buying the mag (and this is just stood reading it in WH Smiths! C'mon, I'm hardly an expert on the history of games and stuff and don't believe I'm the only one).

Case in point; not sure if anybody has noticed it yet here and I was gonna post this as soon as I got the mag but decided to let it go for a week... Then I could takes it no more! Anyway, on page 58, regarding Scooby Doo, Darran states, "Little wonder that it was another nine years before someone else was brave enough to release a game based on the iconic doggy."

Must have forgotten about the little corker below then, eh?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004368
As I stated Space Invaders is in issue 62. It's still coming just a little later than planned, in fact I'm reading through it tomorrow.

As for the Scooby mistake, a line is missing from the final text that clearly mentions the rubbish scooby and scrappy doo. Still that's deadlines for you and stuff getting cut at the last minute.

Still if I remember correctly you felt like this quite a few months back, only to do a complete u-turn when more stuff came along that was to your liking. Hopefully the same thing will happen again steve :)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Anyone else find the constant nit-picking at small errors in articles is taking all the fun out of this forum?

I read RG for fun between changing nappies and shovelling show - errors happen in every part of life - why expect RG to be the exception?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:why expect RG to be the exception?
Because we're effectively the only magazine dedicated to our subject in the UK and as a result are expected to be the definate source on the subject.

Of course I could point out that many dedicated magazines get their info wrong, but that's beside the point...

Certain readers will expect you to do certain things and they're well within their rights as a paying customer to point these things out. I actually finds Steve's comments quite refreshing, they're far more useful to me than the usual "this month had things I love/hate, so this month's issue was amazing/rubbish.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:44 am

The MSX feature was a great read, I've never really heard of the machine before (outside of knowing the first 2 Metal Gear games were released on it) so it was very interesting and insightful. The Mario Kart feature was also a nice addition, the cover to the mag looks ace as well!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*