Hot Topic - Best Resident Evil Game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best Resident Evil

Resident Evil
21%
Resident Evil II
23%
Resident Evil III
4%
Resident Evil IV
53%

Total votes: 53

Darran@Retro Gamer

Hot Topic - Best Resident Evil Game

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

Seeing the new games on the way...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:18 am

resident evil 2 was the pinacle,more ideas,more blood,more gore,helped the psone's success

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:21 am

So hard to choose just one of them, but I'll have to pick Resident Evil 2 since I loved the 2 branching scenario's and the array of fantastic monsters (Lickers, Mr X).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

David

Post by David » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 am

the best in terms of controls/graphics etc would have to be Resi 4.

But my personal favourite is Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 am

The only one I got on with at all was Resi 4 on Gamecube. Hugely playable and genuinely scary. Brilliant stuff.
Thoughts and prayers.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am

Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition IS the best game I have ever played. The controls are amazing and the only real reason IMO to buy a Wii
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 am

A close call between the Cube RE1, the PS1 RE2 and the Cube RE4, but the latter just shaves it :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 am

I love them all. Code Veronica is amazing, and the reason I bought a dreamcast, but my vote would have to be Resi 2. Although not strictly the best game in the series, it carries the most nostalgia for me. I loved the whole 80's horror movie atmosphere, the soundtrack, and the replay value.

It is still probably one of my most played games.

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 am

Resident Evil 4 by far. Although they're all great.

Missed a few out though - Resident Evil Zero is worthy of inclusion, and lets not forget Survivor :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:11 am

Resident Evil 2 was really good, and it was my favourite until RE 4 came along... It really blew me away (even though I was already seduced into buying a Gamecube by Resident Evil Rebirth) and I never regretted buying a Gamecube for this game.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:21 am

Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii. :oops:

Failing that Resi 4.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 am

The original blew me away, as did the sequels, but RE4, with it's superb camera and control system is infinitely superior IMO and totally rejuvenated a tired genre.

Also the PS2 version I played had loads of extras which vastly improves it's shelf-life - the merceneries is great fun.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Looking at this,

I would say Resident Evil 3

the why is quite simple.

Game play, graphics and story(s) were / are fantastic. much better than the original / resident evil 2

the Acting is better performed and scripted, the story more mature and envolving with other aspects and facets on whom you play, the mercenaries add on was a fantastic addition!

Graphically RE3 pushes the PS1 to its limmits and blood... oh the blood :D

I absolutely love Zombie horror games, its fantastic genere..

now RE1/2 are good games for sure, however there standard even as a first is precarious, some bad acting, poor scripting and graphics that were limmited at best.

now... lets talk Res 4.... since when has that been Retr0?!.... freakz.... :)

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Res 1 Psx and Res 1 game cube which was even better. its got to be the first one for me because i had seen nothing like it at the time. Also apart from Syndicate wars, doom and the other res titles it was the only game i played all the way through on play station.

I love zombie games and films and books and comics, in fact i am a bit zombie barmy. I can remember being really excited when my little bro picked up an import copy of res evil for playstation and neither of us were disappointed. For me zombies are the perfect icon for our modern era as they, and the films and games they are in, can represent greed, pointless consumerism, mans' destruction at his own hands, corrupt government, and just about anything else that we fear or try not to think about in our daily grind. I like the way that in Romero's films its really the humans that are the bad guys and always ruin it for themselves, whilst the zombies bimble around getting along nicely amongst themselves despite race, age and sex etc. I think the res games actually captured this ethos quite well, with umbrella and secret experiments etc
I really enjoyed Res 4 but was a little disappointed they left my undead friends behind; will still get res 5 though:)
Pz

has anybody read the graphic novel 'The Walking Dead' ? its amazing
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:47 pm

I have yet to sample Resi 4, but looking at this thread, maybe I'd better soon. That being the current situation, Code: Veronica gets it. Absolutely loved this when it came out, one of the better examples of a 2D (sorta) franchise transferring succesfully to 3D. The schnazzy new polygonal environments felt perfect. The plot was stronger than previous entries (I think), the Ashford siblings were creepy as heck, the sudden shift to the Antarctic was very convincingly done and the reappearence of Wesker was a nice surprise. Jury's still out on the Bandersnatchers, but overall the game rocks.
It's called a MEGADRIVE