I'm drooling over your anticipated Amstrad feature...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Mon May 15, 2006 2:28 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:Since the CPC was the market leader in France...
Yes, I am aware of this wee bit of oddness in the history of the Amstrad CPC. Why was this I wonder? Was it simply that Amstrad had already established a superior distributers network throughout France with their midi systems etc, compared to Sinclair and Commodore?

Or was it because the French saw something special in the Amstrad CPC range that the British didn't?

Your answers on a postcard please...
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Mon May 15, 2006 2:32 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What I'm saying is that the Amstrad didn't have that 'killer app' that made it's machine worth buying.The Speccy had Ultimate , the C64 had US Gold/Epyx/Access , the Amstrad had..Amsoft
This is quite simply the most "load of old bollocks" statement I've ever read.

Congratulations!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon May 15, 2006 2:34 pm

It was more than likely that the French like anything the rest of the world thinks is total pap.

Frog legs, Citreon cars, huge great scaffold towers stuck in the middle of town, eating snails... ;)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 15, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm not saying that the Amstrad didn't have any good games,I'm just saying that there weren't really any games worth buying the machine for

As stated before , Amstrad games were generally similar to their Spectrum counterparts - which shouldn't have been the case , (particularly in relation to sound) .

But when you consider that the Spectrum was selling for approx £80 and the Amstrad for £300...even with a monitor and cassette built in,most
schoolkids didnt have much of a decision to make

The reason I mentioned Amsoft is that (as far as I am aware) they were the only games produced exclusivey , and always seemed to be the ones 'showcased' playing on the machine in Dixons and in mail order catalogues.They should have sold the machine,but instead had the
opposite effect.

Amstrad did something similar with the Spectrum 'Seal of Quality' when they introduced the +2,which generally meant that the game was completely censored (eg It's a Knockout)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The reason I mentioned Amsoft is that (as far as I am aware) they were the only games produced exclusivey
Yeah but you can't say that other machines had Ultimate, US Gold and Epyx or whatever as those companies also produced for the CPC.

I may as well say Amstrad had Ocean then. Utter rubbish.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Mon May 15, 2006 2:57 pm

The Spectrum had rubber keys.

Here endeth the argument.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 15, 2006 3:07 pm

stigodump wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:The reason I mentioned Amsoft is that (as far as I am aware) they were the only games produced exclusivey
Yeah but you can't say that other machines had Ultimate, US Gold and Epyx or whatever as those companies also produced for the CPC.

I didn't say that they produced games exclusively for those machines,
what I said (or meant to say at least!) was that they produced the 'killer apps' for those machines

Sure,Winter Games and Impossible Mission etc. came out on other machines , but they were nothing in comparison to the C64 versions .Have you ever tried playing Beach Head 2 with the great graphics and speech on the c64,then comparing to playing on a Speccy?

And the Spectrum was the historical home of Ultimate- unless you were
playing their games on a rubber keyboard (with those abysmal key configurations!) it just wasn't the same
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 pm

GetDexter wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:Since the CPC was the market leader in France...
Or was it because the French saw something special in the Amstrad CPC range that the British didn't?

Your answers on a postcard please...
Apparently the French just did not get on with the whole idea of plugging a computer into the family TV and all the associated cables. The dominent computer before the CPC arrived was from Thompson which IIRC also had the "all in one" design the CPC had. The CPC killed off the Thompson pretty quickly.

Amstrad did get an effective network in place, but only as a result of their market strength off the back of the initial sales. They also did OK in Spain as well.

As a sidenote, another French oddity is that they didn't have budget games (they had loads of compilations instead) and they never really took to software on tape either.

As a CPC owner, a trip to France was lovely. So much software, much of it unreleased in the UK. Even as late as 1993, the shelves in the Virgin Megastore in Paris were overflowing with software. I'd graduated to an Amiga 1200 by then, but I returned to the UK not with Amiga games, but CPC games!

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Mon May 15, 2006 3:22 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
stigodump wrote:

I didn't say that they produced games exclusively for those machines,
what I said (or meant to say at least!) was that they produced the 'killer apps' for those machines

Sure,Winter Games and Impossible Mission etc. came out on other machines , but they were nothing in comparison to the C64 versions .Have you ever tried playing Beach Head 2 with the great graphics and speech on the c64,then comparing to playing on a Speccy?

And the Spectrum was the historical home of Ultimate- unless you were
playing their games on a rubber keyboard (with those abysmal key configurations!) it just wasn't the same
Yeah but it was unfair of you to compare Amsoft who generally did a load of crap looking games for the CPC to companies that produced for all three formats with some of the biggest games being better on other formats. The CPC did have it's killer apps but you seem to be ignoring these even though I listed some of them in my earlier post.

Maybe you don't see them as killer apps because you could get versions for your machine but the same was true of the CPC. You could get perfectly decent versions of the same games.

Having said that Amsoft's Oh Mummy is still one of my favourite games. :lol:

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Mon May 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Agree. Oh Mummy has a strangely addictive quality to it, once you get into the 'zone' (about level 10). A sort of Amidar/Mr Do/Qix hybrid, but good.

Sorry Dexter!

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:36 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:And I had the Speccy out the other day playing Street Fighter 2. Painful load times but less painful with a multiface and a +3 :-) A stunning technical achievement.
Considering how bad the the graphics are on the CBM64 verison of Street Fighter II, I dread to think how bad the Spectrum version was.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 15, 2006 3:41 pm

I guess I'm looking at the rubber keyboard with rose-tinted specs
along with colour clash and poor sound,it was one of the main arguments from the C64 owners

But just like the 'Woody' 2600 ,even though it wasn't the best design ,it's the one I remember with the most fondness (if you owned one you would probably know what I mean)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:50 pm

C4 wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:And I had the Speccy out the other day playing Street Fighter 2. Painful load times but less painful with a multiface and a +3 :-) A stunning technical achievement.
Considering how bad the the graphics are on the CBM64 verison of Street Fighter II, I dread to think how bad the Spectrum version was.
Pretty much a 2 colour version of the arcade. It is an achievement. Not a great game but it is technically impressive. Very bad loading times however.

To be fair the screenshot doesn't really do it justice. On a normal TV it's not that bad. A static shot from an emulator makes it look pretty bad.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 15, 2006 3:55 pm

The most technically astonishing game for me on the Spectrum was Carrier Command

It was unbelievable what some developers could get out of the 8-bit machines.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C4

Post by C4 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:56 pm

You're right! The "MobyGames The definitive resource for PC Games mobygames.com" error image doesn't do it jutsice.