I'm drooling over your anticipated Amstrad feature...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon May 15, 2006 7:15 am

DonkeySpank wrote:an atari lover?
That sounds about right. It was Stalin's favourite home computer, you know.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon May 15, 2006 7:18 am

Goddam it, I love my 2600!!!

Now please form an orderly queue for bread whilst I enjoy my Cuban cigar and wee dram of Scotch in the lap of communist luxury, Comrade!
Last edited by DonkeySpank on Mon May 15, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 am

revgiblet wrote:
GetDexter wrote:What's a 'pinko' ?
I don't know.
What do you mean you don't know? You used the word so bloody make something up! :lol:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon May 15, 2006 7:55 am

C4 wrote:
Ash wrote:My Grandad said he would buy the Amstrad issue because he had a 464+ in the early Nineties. It'll be the first issue he's ever bought.
How old is your grandfather? 37?
Not sure what you're getting at there, mate. But he's 68 since you ask.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 am

Amstrad was always third behind the C64 and Speccy in the UK, i always hear good reports about it but never the less the better games were on the other two platforms

Like people say why dont you find an Amstrad emulator on many websites etc, for the various machines i play emulators on theres always a C64 and Speccy and eventually an Amstrad

The Amstrad might have been a bit like Betamax vs VHS, Betamax was superior but because everyone went to VHS it just disappeared, Amstrad had a lot of good points but by then the C64 and Speccy had been out for years and were well ahead.

I was always stunned when someone suddenly had an Amstrad as surely their parents would have got them one of the popular two machines in the UK. Still like others have said at least it wasnt a Dragon, BBC or Oric !

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:12 am

GetDexter wrote:Just remember, Alan Sugar bought all rights to the Sinclair Spectrum for £3 million, which at the time was just ONE MONTHS PROFIT for Amstrad!!
Thus saving Sinclair from the fat pension fund thief Robert Maxwell who was eyeing Sinclair up.

AEX

Re:

Post by AEX » Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 am

GetDexter wrote:My argument as to why the Amstrad was a fantastic machine -

GET DEXTER ! An Amstrad exclusive and the most underrated isometric 3D game ever. In my book it SHARES TOP PLACE WITH HEAD OVER HEELS!!
Wasn't "Crafton & Xunk" basically Get Dexter on the Atari ST?

Karl
Atari Historical Society
----------------------------
www.atariexplorer.com (offline)
www.atarimuseum.com

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:22 am

psj3809 wrote:Amstrad was always third behind the C64 and Speccy in the UK, i always hear good reports about it but never the less the better games were on the other two platforms
As the owner of all 3 main 8 bits, as well as a few of the less well known ones I can confidently say you are talking rollocks.

I'm not talking emulators, I'm not repeating "popular opinion", I'm stating the facts. The Speccy, the CPC and the C64 all have some fantastic titles avaliable for them and I'm bloody glad I own all 3 and have hundreds of original games because I can enjoy all 3 formats without some blinkered playground opinion stemming from the 1980's.

I wouldn't dream of playing Head Over Heels on my C64's, just as I wouldn't dream of playing Wizball on the CPC. Horses for courses, all the machines have loads of decent games and I'm lucky enough to play on all 3. All 3 of the machines have outstanding titles if you are prepared to delve beneath the surface.

On the other hand, the BBC sucks donkey poop. :D

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 am

OK, so....
Head over Heals = Spectrum
Wizzball = CBM 64
CPC = ...?

What game was the CPC version the best..?

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:56 am

Opa-Opa wrote:OK, so....
Head over Heals = Spectrum
Wizzball = CBM 64
CPC = ...?

What game was the CPC version the best..?
Er Head Over Heels was my CPC example. Coded on the CPC, the Spectrum version was ported across from the CPC in the same way most of the Oliver Twins games were.

Or we could metion Sorcery +, Chase HQ (all the speed of the Speccy version, but with colour), Prehistorik 2 (even better on the Plus), etc.

Or if I had the C64 out today I'd probably be playing Creatures 2.

And I had the Speccy out the other day playing Street Fighter 2. Painful load times but less painful with a multiface and a +3 :-) A stunning technical achievement.

People can argue all day about which format is best. I don't care. The "big 3" all have something going for them and anyone who pretends otherwise is just as blinkered as the idiots in the playground 15 years ago. Get over it.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:01 am

[quote="chinnyhill10]
As the owner of all 3 main 8 bits, as well as a few of the less well known ones I can confidently say you are talking rollocks.[/quote]

Well perhaps myself, the vast majority, most of the mags and experts around at the time are all wrong then !!!

Yeah the Amstrad had some decent games but it was always a 3rd to the Sinclair and C64 whatever. Its not some blinkered argument its based on fact, the C64/Speccy sold much more than Amstrad, once Amstrad did get going it was too late in the 8 bit wars as most kids already had a C64 or Speccy.

My mate had an Amstrad, did have some decent games on it but nothing which made me think i really wanted one. Yeah all machines have some decent games, even the BBC and i'm not trying to stir up some old playground argument . I keep away from the usual C64 vs Speccy snorefest but its just a fact that Amstrad was 3rd. A good third mind you but a third.

So if any of us have an opinion of which was the better out of the big 3 we're just blinkered idiots ?!?! Come on !! Like you i enjoy playing games on other machines, to me one of the best consoles is the PC Engine and the MSX had a ton of great playable Konami games so most machines have plus points but i'm not going to stay away from the obvious truth in some cases.

I dont see why Amstrad fans get so upset if Speccy/C64 users say the Amstrad was a 3rd. It was a fact it was, in retro mags they always do the Amstrad after the other two etc etc. Nothing totally wrong with that, considering the Speccy/C64 had a huge foothold already Amstrad were an excellent third but to throw toys out of the pram and calling others blinkered idiots for stating the facts is laughable.
Last edited by psj3809 on Mon May 15, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonkeySpank

Re:

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:...the BBC sucks donkey poop. :D

OI!!! :lol: :shock: :wink:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon May 15, 2006 10:22 am

As a gamer if the CPC did have a great version of "so and so" that made all the others look crap I want to play it, I just have never really come across any game that was far better on the CPC in the same way that Wizzball or Buggy Boy were far better on the CBM (for example..)

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 am

Opa-Opa wrote:As a gamer if the CPC did have a great version of "so and so" that made all the others look crap I want to play it, I just have never really come across any game that was far better on the CPC in the same way that Wizzball or Buggy Boy were far better on the CBM (for example..)
Have you played Chase HQ on the C64?

The Speccy and CPC versions are always quite close due to the fact they often shared code. It's a close call between (for example) Chase HQ on the Speccy and on the CPC because they share a codebase so you can't seperate them except on graphics. C64 versions are always totally different as there is no way programmers could share code. The 128k Speccies even have the same sound chip as the CPC.

Certainly the Freescape games play best on the CPC because Freescape was developed on the CPC to begin with and the CPC had the graphics capacity and the grunt to best pull it off. The Speccy and CPC are better geared towards polygon based action than the C64 which is far better at sprites.

So if there's a cracking Speccy version of a game, the CPC version will probably be good as well, but won't always stand out. In many ways it's easier to make a standout C64 version of a game as it has to be coded from scratch and won't have to "compete" against another system with a simaler spec.

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon May 15, 2006 11:47 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:In many ways it's easier to make a standout C64 version of a game as it has to be coded from scratch and won't have to "compete" against another system with a simaler spec.
Actually, that's why Chase HQ was rank on the C64; from what i understand the code was ported from the Speccy/CPC versions and the only concession made for the CPU being half the speed at the breadbin end was replacing the player's vehicle with hardware sprites! And don't get me started on Hard Drivin'...