Forgoten Fighting games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornervizion

Re: Forgoten Fighting games

Post by Cornervizion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Just remembered a fighter call "Survival Arts" an Arcade game by SAMMY which uses digitised characters like MK, and had a SWAT team characted called "Mongo" which obviously does not mean anything derogative in the states. Needless to say....it's Crap! And the only reason I have it on MAME is to remind me that there are better games on offer. For scrolling fighters "Gang Wars" Is certainly worth a look. Plays a lot like Double Dragon, but it's a lot faster. And "64th Street: A Detective Story" By Jaleco which obviously inspired the Rushing Beat series, lots of fun with Big Sprites and Destructable Scenery.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Has anyone mentioned Hot blooded Family on the ps1/Saturn. It was a class little final fight/streets of rage clone with some nice graphics and music, check it out. :D

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 pm

I really liked the beat 'em up on the original Gameboy which had five or so fighters that all pretty-much looked the same. It was quite responsive, but for the life of me, I can't recall the title.
Thoughts and prayers.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 am

thl wrote:Also the Amiga conversion of Mortal Kombat was quite good despite using only one button.
Both Mortal Kombat games on the Amiga worked with two button pads.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:37 pm

rossi46 wrote:I really liked the beat 'em up on the original Gameboy which had five or so fighters that all pretty-much looked the same. It was quite responsive, but for the life of me, I can't recall the title.
How about:

Metal Masters
Power Quest
Pitfighter
Fist of the North Star
Fighting Simulator
Killer Instinct

Just had a quick look around online since fighting games for the original Gameboy are - coincidentally - something that have interested me of late :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:28 am

Way of the Warrior for the 3DO.

Average MK Clone, but had a few nice features. Mine was that every character had a "stage name". So if the character in the game was called something like - say "Andy Death". His real name was "Andy Jones" or something.

Sub Zero is less menacing when you find out his first name is "Colin" for example.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Talking of 3DO there was another digitised effort that I didn't know about until recently called Shadow: War of Succession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3t9ZpKOquM

It does look awful, but as I'm a pervert for both Fighting games and bad digitised graphics it looks right up my street!

Also I don't beleive anyone has mentioned the nasty Double Dragon 5. It was a attempt to muscle in on Street Fighter II's patch, but used crappy characters from an also forgotton Double Dragon cartoon. Awful.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Megamixer wrote: How about:

Metal Masters
Power Quest
Pitfighter
Fist of the North Star
Fighting Simulator
Killer Instinct

Just had a quick look around online since fighting games for the original Gameboy are - coincidentally - something that have interested me of late :)
Nah, none of those
Thoughts and prayers.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 am

Just remembered "Raging Fighter" on the Game Boy by Konami, and it was quite good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMBqxpg_AU

Hope that help's.

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm

What was that really fast fighting game on the PC? Can't remember any details about it but think they showed it on Movies, Games and Videos on ITV

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Street Fighter 2 the animated interactive movie game thingy

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 am

Nobody seems to remember Tekken Advance. Certainly not retro, but it's a good start-of-the-decade 2D scrapper on - yes! - Game Boy Advance.

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. on N64 was pretty good back in the day, albeit this was probably due to the accomplished visuals more than the gameplay.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 am

Roo wrote:Nobody seems to remember Tekken Advance. Certainly not retro, but it's a good start-of-the-decade 2D scrapper on - yes! - Game Boy Advance.
I know about it. I've also come close to buying it from ebay several times as I'm a pretty big fan of Tekken (the second one is my favourite). The roster looks like it's based on Tekken 3 am I right?

I heard the AI was a bit poor though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.