Forgoten Fighting games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Re: Forgoten Fighting games

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:20 pm

What about Fist Fighter on the Amiga ..... that was an amazingly bad game!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:46 pm

woody.cool wrote:What about Fist Fighter on the Amiga ..... that was an amazingly bad game!

Virtually EVERY beat 'em up on the Amiga was awful
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:47 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
woody.cool wrote:What about Fist Fighter on the Amiga ..... that was an amazingly bad game!
It's a shame, as the Amiga was capable of much better.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:43 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

To some extent I agree. The only fighting game that stands out well for the Amiga was Body Blows, which was very decent and playable than Street Fighter II and Final Fight.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:47 pm

thl wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:

To some extent I agree. The only fighting game that stands out well for the Amiga was Body Blows, which was very decent and playable than Street Fighter II and Final Fight.

Personally I found Body Blows to be a terrible series of games . After playing SFII on my mate's SNES , nothing came even close - least of all a clone like Body Blows. I know there are many who would disagree , and certainly most of the Amiga mags of the day thought it was great - but I guess SNES SFII spoilt it for me.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm

woody.cool wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
It's a shame, as the Amiga was capable of much better.

What about Shadow Fighter? Brilliant game. Paraponzipopo!

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm

I agree with Shadow Fighter. And Fighting Spirit to a lesser extent. Other than that Amiga beat-em-ups were pants.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

I AM WALKING THE COW

Post by I AM WALKING THE COW » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:32 pm

im not a huge fan of fighting games, but does I remember playing a game i think was called pit fighter??
Deffo on the amiga I know that for sure.

One of the bad guys was called the executioner :D
Image Image Image Image

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 am

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:What about Shadow Fighter? Brilliant game. Paraponzipopo!
Graham Humphrey wrote:I agree with Shadow Fighter. And Fighting Spirit to a lesser extent. Other than that Amiga beat-em-ups were pants.
I agree with Shadow Fighter, however, I also quite liked Elfmania.

One that many seem to forget, is Super Street Fighter II .... (no, not the original SF2 and not the bloody slow SSF2T)
US Gold redeemed themselves with this.

OK, the graphics aren't great, and some of the sound samples are missing, but it's highly playable and the AGA version is pretty damn good in comparision to a lot of other games of the same genre on the Amiga.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 am

What's that crappy Konami SFII rip-off for the PC Engine CD called?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

I also remember Shadow Fighter for the Amiga. Used to love that game, I enjoyed it more than Body Blows and SF2.

Saying that I did like the first BB game, I kind of liked the characters at the time. BB Galactic or whatever never really interested me for some reason.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 pm

The reason for the lack of quality beat-em-ups on the Amiga was probably the solitary fire button on most joysticks; you could only get so many special moves out of a single button.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:The reason for the lack of quality beat-em-ups on the Amiga was probably the solitary fire button on most joysticks; you could only get so many special moves out of a single button.
Yeah, I agree to some extent .... but didn't anybody else use pads from their Mega Drive/Master System?
The Amiga understands the second button without any problems.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:22 pm

woody.cool wrote:
Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:The reason for the lack of quality beat-em-ups on the Amiga was probably the solitary fire button on most joysticks; you could only get so many special moves out of a single button.
Yeah, I agree to some extent .... but didn't anybody else use pads from their Mega Drive/Master System?
The Amiga understands the second button without any problems.
I did used the Master System/Mega Drive control pad when attempting to play Street Fighter II on the Amiga. However, due to awful programming that led to collision detection feeling broken, it made it incredibly difficult to pull off those special moves. No wonder why US Gold are responsible for the mess they've made!

Also the Amiga conversion of Mortal Kombat was quite good despite using only one button.

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 am

How about Street Fighter II: The Movie: The Game (I assume that was what they - rather untidily - called it) - a Mortal Kombat-esque digitised version of SFII using the characters from the film (Van Damme, Kylie Minogue et al). The controls were much like the regular SFII but much less responsive and all round crappy. Perjaps they then could have made a movie of SFII:The Movie:The Game. And a pinball table of SFII: The Movie: The Game: The Movie, and a set of trading cards of SFII: The Movie: The Game: The Movie: The Pinball Table, and a high-on-E-numbers confectionary snack of... you get the idea.
Oh dear, there's little pamphlets living in it.