Forgoten Fighting games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 pm

woody.cool wrote:Nobody's mentioned Thai Boxing on the C16, yet :shock: :lol:
Oh yes, what a game. Quite possibly the most fantastically bad fighting game ever. And it had plenty of competition on the C16 as well.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
thl wrote:Quite a few that springs in mind:

Brawl Brothers aka Rushing Beat Ran
Ehrgeiz
Final Fight 2 & 3
Final Fight Revenge
Legend
Mighty Final Fight
Peace Keeper aka Rushing Beat Syura
Rival Turf aka Rushing Beat
Sengoku 1-3
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha 1-3
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Violent Storm
I'd love to see Violent Fight turn up in the magazine, everyone remembers Konami's other great beat em ups such as Turtles, Simpsons and X-men but VS never gets a look in.
Violent Storm is awesome, can't believe other people remember it as well.. Great music with that woman singing or screaming.. I remember the bosses 'Fast Freddy' who was like a skinny Blanka, and that Statue that came to life
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 am

K9spheres wrote:It probably isn't forgotten by most of us, but I liked Ballz on the Mega Drive as a kid.
As soon as K9 mentioned this old SMD Gem I instantly thought of SNES's game of similar age Clay Fighter 1, 2 & 33 & a 1/3

I would mention Barbarian 1 & 2 but that, in no way has been forgotten

Then there was that miserable attempt at a Robot Fighting game on PS1 called Zero Divide.. it had a mini-game hidden in it, a side-scrolling shoot-em-up called Phallanax and that was actually better than the game it was hidden in =)

I think I Did see a review of a game called War Gods for the Jaguar(64 i think) at some point back in the mid 90's?
Can anyone back me up on this one?? it was a bad attempt at ripping off Mortal Kombat..might have been an early 3D graphics

And let us not forget Thrill Kill for the PS1, it was banned in Australia after release for having such sick ideas in it for attacks and Fatalities... pretty sure it used the same game engine as that terrible Wu-Tang Clan fighting game also on PS1
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 am

I once had a PC demo which only had 2 playable characters: Dan and Ninja. So each time I played a rather robotic voice said "Dan, versuuuuus Ninja, FIGHT! Don't remember the name of it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:55 am

harlequ1n wrote:I once had a PC demo which only had 2 playable characters: Dan and Ninja. So each time I played a rather robotic voice said "Dan, versuuuuus Ninja, FIGHT! Don't remember the name of it.
It wasn't Body Blows was it? There was a character called Ninja in it and I'm 99% sure that there is a character called Dan it as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 pm

harlequ1n wrote:I once had a PC demo which only had 2 playable characters: Dan and Ninja. So each time I played a rather robotic voice said "Dan, versuuuuus Ninja, FIGHT! Don't remember the name of it.
One of the most memorable for me is in Kasumi Ninja for the Jaguar the guy says in an exaggerated oriental accent "Show no, MERCY!" :lol:

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:22 pm

ArcadeMYK wrote:I think I Did see a review of a game called War Gods for the Jaguar(64 i think) at some point back in the mid 90's?
Can anyone back me up on this one?? it was a bad attempt at ripping off Mortal Kombat..might have been an early 3D graphics
I know it was out on the Nintendo 64 and had better graphics than the actual arcade machine!

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:24 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
It wasn't Body Blows was it? There was a character called Ninja in it and I'm 99% sure that there is a character called Dan it as well.
I think you're right, I checked the Wikipedia site and it certainly looks like it. Thanks :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 pm

harlequ1n wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
I think you're right, I checked the Wikipedia site and it certainly looks like it. Thanks :)
The full version had many more characters, but I remember the dodgy voice saying "Dan, versuuuuus Ninja, FIGHT!" - Even the Amiga version had the speech too.
I quite liked the Body Blows games, but maybe the rose-tinted glasses are kicking in.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:27 am

Mutation Nation on the Neo Geo is another decent but forgotten fighting game to look out for. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 am

woody.cool wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: It wasn't Body Blows was it? There was a character called Ninja in it and I'm 99% sure that there is a character called Dan it as well.
The full version had many more characters, but I remember the dodgy voice saying "Dan, versuuuuus Ninja, FIGHT!" - Even the Amiga version had the speech too.
I quite liked the Body Blows games, but maybe the rose-tinted glasses are kicking in.
I remember loving the demo but being hopeless at the main game, I think the furthest I got was beating 4-5 opponents some how. I picked up Ultimate Body Blows for the Amiga 32 a little while ago and still am hopeless at it even today!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Skarnz

Post by Skarnz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 am

i recently found this one ive never heard of it before but its quite good :P
Brutal : paws of fury http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paws_of_fury

what a cool lil game its like a clean mortal combat made by furries :P

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm

No-one ever talks about Final Fight Revenge. It was a one-on-one beat-em-up which appeared in the arcades and on the Saturn. I've tried to play it a few times over the years but it has always been too dear on ebay and my chipped won't play a copy of it because it requires a dedicated cart which is not the standard memory expansion/import play cart, can anyone shed any light on this hidden title?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mulletino

Post by Mulletino » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:33 am

Not sure if they're that "forgotten" but they've not been mentioned in this thread yet. (Not so famous) Fighting type games I've enjoyed over the years:

Karate Champ (arcade) - I (hopefully) still remember the combo which would get you through a lot of rounds (left stick down + right stick up, both sticks up, both sticks right = FULL POINT).

Barry McGuigan's Boxing (spectrum)

Way of the Tiger (Spectrum)

Uchi Mata (C64)

Ninja (C64) - Matertronic game, it was pretty bad but I always like the underdog.

Budokan - Amiga. I was sooo disappointed to see it was the MD version on the EA Replay PSP disc.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 am

Rakugakids!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.