Forgoten Fighting games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:45 am

gman72 wrote:No-one ever talks about Final Fight Revenge. It was a one-on-one beat-em-up which appeared in the arcades and on the Saturn. I've tried to play it a few times over the years but it has always been too dear on ebay and my chipped won't play a copy of it because it requires a dedicated cart which is not the standard memory expansion/import play cart, can anyone shed any light on this hidden title?
Works with this cart:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1tn ... 0-1b2.html

If you have an older model of the 4-in-1 you might need to do this:
http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/informa ... AM-mod.htm

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Theres' a couple that spring to mind...

"Shadow Fighter" - Amiga,CD32
"Elfmania" - Amiga
"Blood Storm" - Arcade
"Blood Warrior" - Arcade
"Kaiser Knuckle" - Arcade (Quite Good Ths one Is)
"Daraku Tenshin - The Fallen Angels" - Arcade
"Dead Dance/Tuff-E-Nuff" - SNES

Survival Arts got mentioned on an earlier post and I'm sure the poster would agree with me that it's absolutely dire!! Also it has a carachter called "Mongo"!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:54 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Panzer Kick Boxing - Amiga,

brilliant game where you could pick ALL your moves and assign them to the joystick.
LOL! Maybe 'Panzer Dragoon Kick Boxing'? :lol:

Sorry, the actual title was 'André Panza Kick Boxing', named after a famous french champion, and indeed it was a brilliant game.

As for the topic, did anyone mention Metal & Lace?

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Ah YES! My kind of subject! Now you're talking!

This is why that article on Streets of Rage II a while back bugged the hell outta me. RG says "name a beat em up better. You can't" or some rubbish along them lines. Well there's two off the top of my head I'd easily class as SoR II beaters personally!

Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka on the Super Famicom. Just wow. Incredible RPG style beat em up where characters develop, more come, some are killed (whoops, bit of a spoiler there!), you get more moves and stuff, you ride a bike... what more do you want?! Interesting enemies, stages... the only thing that's missing is weapons but nevertheless, Technos really did come up with some great gimmicks to solve the problem that plagued your usual 'walking along the streets' beat em up. Repetiveness.

I didn't understand Japanese when I had this (hardly do now!) but it still managed to be so engaging. And now someone has translated it!

Check it out will you?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R60m0UD2NOY

And yes, it is one of the true Renegade sequels.

Rushin' Beat Run again on the Super Famicom. Wonderful more tradtional scrolling beat em up with six characters, a nifty Vs. mode and great comic style graphics. Much better than the original game (Rival Turf) and loads of arcade style fun. I argued with this one against SoR at school and nobody could say anything back because they hadn't heard of it!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 am

Never heard of Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka until now, looks like a really cool game. I'll have to give it a go myself.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:24 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:
gman72 wrote:No-one ever talks about Final Fight Revenge. It was a one-on-one beat-em-up which appeared in the arcades and on the Saturn. I've tried to play it a few times over the years but it has always been too dear on ebay and my chipped won't play a copy of it because it requires a dedicated cart which is not the standard memory expansion/import play cart, can anyone shed any light on this hidden title?
Works with this cart:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1tn ... 0-1b2.html

If you have an older model of the 4-in-1 you might need to do this:
http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/informa ... AM-mod.htm
I got it on release week years ago on Jap Saturn - still got it now. It's crap. Yet somehow enjoyable, but only as a 1 player game due to some of the moves being hilariously ridiculous. For example the cop dude (Eddie or whatever) turning into a police car and the player has to control the car while trying to run over the other dude. Haha.

How my friends laughed when I bought that - the guy at Raven games was adament it was a 2D fighter the lying git.

You have to see it to believe it - there used to be a vid on you tube of two americans playing it and they are just peeing themselves at it's badness, it was pretty funny to watch.

Worth a bit now though so I guess I had the last laugh :)

retrohogg

Post by retrohogg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Well for me, theres a few Fighters that don't get the recognition they deserve...
Kizuna Encounter
Warriors of Fate
Vendetta
Violent Storm
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

In Particular warriors of fate, which to me felt like streets of rage crossed with samurai showdown.
If it's a miracle Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle.

Geese

Re: Forgoten Fighting games

Post by Geese » Thu May 28, 2009 3:02 am

What was that C64 game by Melbourne House? I think it was called fighting warrior. Savage reign,Aggressors of dark combat and what was that megadrive game with the massive green last boss set in space?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 28, 2009 5:01 am

Geese wrote:What was that C64 game by Melbourne House? I think it was called fighting warrior. Savage reign,Aggressors of dark combat and what was that megadrive game with the massive green last boss set in space?
I second any calls for Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter and Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Lesser known titles from the NeoGeo's beat em' up catalogue that look interesting judging by youtube videos.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

the_hawk

Re:

Post by the_hawk » Thu May 28, 2009 7:45 am

Mulletino wrote:Not sure if they're that "forgotten" but they've not been mentioned in this thread yet. (Not so famous) Fighting type games I've enjoyed over the years:
Barry McGuigan's Boxing (spectrum)
Certainly not forgotten my me (as my avatar will attest to!)

I can't believe no one's mentioned the real Street Fighter II - Human Killing Machine!

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Sat May 30, 2009 8:06 am

Umm. I don't know any fighting games that I don't know. And all the fighting games that I've forgotten, I've forgotten. So that's not very helpful. Sorry!
Oh dear, there's little pamphlets living in it.

merman

Re: Re:

Post by merman » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

the_hawk wrote:
I can't believe no one's mentioned the real Street Fighter II - Human Killing Machine!
We'd wiped it from our collective memories... for good reason.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Dizrythmia

Re:

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:22 am

retrohogg wrote:Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
I have the arcade board of that. Sadly it doesn't work :(

No one's mentioned the Ranma 1/2 series. Sure the first 2 were a bit dodgy, but the 3rd one was pretty decent. Not up to Street Fighter standards, but I'm a huge fan of the show & really enjoy the game.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:52 am

Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:11 am

One Must Fall 2097 was a really nice and unique beat'em up for DOS-PCs back in 1994. I played that a lot with a friend of mine. Great stuff!