Issue 58 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks to all the staff at retro gamer for all their hard work on this issue and everything else they contribute to, forum, blog previous issues...

I know you get the odd nobhead who thinks it is cool to slg you off or complain, but I (and thousands others) think you are doing a bloody good job. Cheers. Now have a nice break - you deserve it.

Benny :D

gizmo1990

Post by gizmo1990 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:47 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:What amazes me is how much flack Oli's got for taking the 'easy option' by having the audacity to use—gasp!—Photoshop, rather than some creaky old piece-of-crap airbrush. Clearly, anyone who genuinely considers that the easy option hasn't actually used Photoshop all that much.
Must... bite... tongue...!

EUSSR

Post by EUSSR » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:57 pm

The Master wrote: Yeah, and it's got Santa on it... twice, I believe :wink:
Santa Claus is a 19th century American creation who is neither Saint Nicholas nor Old Father Christmas. Saint Nicholas gave anonymous gifts to those that needed them and his day is the 6th December. Old Father Christmas is a 17th century English creation who represents the Christmas feast. The Ghost of Christmas Present in Dickens' A Christmas Carol is very much like Old Father Christmas. Those things that have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus Christ have their roots in Germanic Paganism, the religion of pre-Christian western Europe. So you see, you cannot state that an image which includes Santa represents Christmas, but you could state that it represents anti-Christmas, especially when accompanied by "Festive Holidays".
clarance wrote:I don't think that anyone is offended by the use of the word christmas, but for some reason it seems to be more politically correct to use 'festive' in fear of causing offence.

Surely its no coincidence that the original cover from 1984 had 'Christmas Special' in the title, yet in 2008 we have to settle with 'Festive Special'.
We don't have to settle for the politically correct substitution of Festive Special for Christmas Special. Political Correctness is Cultural Marxism and is designed to destroy western values in order to bring about the creation of a Communist state, like the previously failed one in Russia only much worse. All you need to do is understand it and confront it. Political Correctness was introduced in the 1980s under a Conservative government, but has really accelerated since 1997 under New Labour.
psj3809 wrote:Looking back at this surely 'EUSSR' must be a troll. I cant believe he registers here just to moan about the fact of the 'Xmas' cover, doesnt mention one article he might not like...
I am a fan of free speech. If something is happening that is wrong then it should be discussed without fear of intimidation.

Microprose
The Microprose articles were great, but something important is missing: About the time of ATAC, Harrier Jump Jet and B17 Flying Fortress (1992) they pushed up the price of their PC games in the UK to £45 which in today's prices would be at least £72 and maybe as much as £85. By this time they were starting to diversify a bit and this greedy pricing could also be considered to have been a contributory factor in their downfall.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 pm

EUSSR wrote:If something is happening that is wrong then it should be discussed without fear of intimidation.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Could be the best issue yet!
The first issue of 2009 has a lot to live up to.

Somethings I would like to see in the new year, though:

1 - more Oli Frey artwork and

2 - a feature on the STAR TREK games.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:13 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
2 - a feature on the STAR TREK games.
YES!
I know nothing about Star Trek games, except for the the really crap one I bought for the PS2, "Encounters" I think.

I wanna be Picard!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:12 pm

EUSSR wrote:load of old tosh

I am a fan of free speech. If something is happening that is wrong then it should be discussed without fear of intimidation.

We don't have to settle for the politically correct substitution of Festive Special for Christmas Special. Political Correctness is Cultural Marxism and is designed to destroy western values in order to bring about the creation of a Communist state, like the previously failed one in Russia only much worse. All you need to do is understand it and confront it. Political Correctness was introduced in the 1980s under a Conservative government, but has really accelerated since 1997 under New Labour.
You've posted 3 times, you registered to moan about the Xmas cover. Just ridculous.

IF something happened which was majorly wrong then fair enough but banging on abot the Xmas cover is laughable. You seem to suggst it is wrong, the vast majority dont think so. If you had posted loads to talk about retro gaming your posts might not stick out like a sore thumb. But no you join just to rant on abot the Xmas cover and waffle on about some crappy rant.

I mean your last paragraph above, just laughable. You sound like Mr Logic. SURELY it must be a joke

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:20 pm

Ordered mine, but still hasn't arrived... Night after night I'm lying awake... Wondering in agony and fear... Am I in the 'from the forum'-bit?????
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Igorthegreen wrote:Ordered mine, but still hasn't arrived... Night after night I'm lying awake... Wondering in agony and fear... Am I in the 'from the forum'-bit?????

I dont think so.

I'm not. Bah! Foiled again! I think for the first cover of 2009, should be me plastered all over it with a bovril sandwich and a can of Tizer! Would go down a treat! Failing that, Maria Whittaker with her baps out will do just fine!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:50 am

EUSSR wrote:Santa Claus is a 19th century American creation who is neither Saint Nicholas nor Old Father Christmas. Saint Nicholas gave anonymous gifts to those that needed them and his day is the 6th December. Old Father Christmas is a 17th century English creation who represents the Christmas feast. The Ghost of Christmas Present in Dickens' A Christmas Carol is very much like Old Father Christmas. Those things that have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus Christ have their roots in Germanic Paganism, the religion of pre-Christian western Europe. So you see, you cannot state that an image which includes Santa represents Christmas, but you could state that it represents anti-Christmas, especially when accompanied by "Festive Holidays".
Listen to it.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:05 pm

The timeline in the Bonanza Bros. article is genius...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:57 pm

I really liked the ST retroinspection.

Although I prefer the Amiga over the Atari ST, it was good to see an article on this excellent machine.

I know this may be asking a bit too much .... any chance of a retroinspection on the Amiga CDTV?

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Or the PET?

Yes, I'm serious.

It did have games. We used to play them at school.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Never played on a Commodore PET.
If all the other Commodore machines are anything to go by, I'd be expecting quality!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:41 pm

necronom wrote:Or the PET?

Yes, I'm serious.

It did have games. We used to play them at school.
If they're gonna do that then f*** it they can do the Sharp machines too as they were of very similar standards
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com