Issue 58 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 am

I would LOVE to see the conversion capers box out on BombJack - would be quite controversial I suspect! :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:30 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I would LOVE to see the conversion capers box out on BombJack - would be quite controversial I suspect! :lol:
Not controversial. Just correct...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am

The Amstrad version is horribly flawed. You have to own an Amstrad to play it ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Got it today! Forgot to get it yesterday, didn't realise that it was meant to be out until I got home from work and found the site's front page updated. I'm used to the subscribers giving me an advance warning on Saturdays, they must've been quiet this month....

Love the front cover. Now I know where Santa dumps all the old tat he can't give out anymore. And the fact that Darren and Stuart are still queuing up anyway.

I'm back as far as the Activision article so far. Taking my time, since I blew through last month's. Lots of good Metal Slug stuff. I had been expecting a Sonic Unleashed review; did I miss it last month?
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Dunjohn wrote:Got it today! Forgot to get it yesterday, didn't realise that it was meant to be out until I got home from work and found the site's front page updated. I'm used to the subscribers giving me an advance warning on Saturdays, they must've been quiet this month....

Love the front cover. Now I know where Santa dumps all the old tat he can't give out anymore. And the fact that Darren and Stuart are still queuing up anyway.

I'm back as far as the Activision article so far. Taking my time, since I blew through last month's. Lots of good Metal Slug stuff. I had been expecting a Sonic Unleashed review; did I miss it last month?
We will be reviewing Sonic Unleashed but not until Issue 60. We'll be doing a round-up of classic franchises like Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Samba De Amigo, Street Fighter 4 in the usual 3 page format.

Granted we'll be a little late as usual, but reviews obviously aren't the main focus of the mag and we like to sit down and see everything before it's reviewed.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Darran, when are you going to finally get round to a Definitive Guide to Pac-Man? Am I the only person who feels a great injustice has been done over the last three years??
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Well we have a making of the game coming up very soon and as good as I'm sure Stuart's article would be, I'm much more interested in the original game's creation at this moment in time.

It's rare for any mag other than Edge to get big interviews on real classic games (I'm pretty sure they may have done Pac-Man once upon a time) but it's pretty good going for a mag as niche as RG.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I wouldn't mind so much, if the Definitive article hadn't been advertised as coming, like, over two years ago... and then squat.

Thoroughly looking forward to the Making Of though, and don't mean any offence by any of this, I hope you know - I'm just constantly doing my bit for the little yellow bastard, in accordance with prophecy and sacred tradition :)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

C16

Post by C16 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:08 am

After closer inspection, I have a question.

On the C16 review of Mr Puniverse, why is there a small image from the game 'Blagger' at the beginning of the text? As they have nothing in common.

Blagger

Mr Puniverse

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:35 am

C16 wrote:After closer inspection, I have a question.

On the C16 review of Mr Puniverse, why is there a small image from the game 'Blagger' at the beginning of the text? As they have nothing in common.

Blagger

Mr Puniverse
It's the avatar of the person who wrote the profile

C16

Post by C16 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:21 am

Ahhhh now I understand :) Cheers Darran

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:27 am

woody.cool wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.
WHAT!

The CPC version is much better!
Repeat after me - drugs are bad, mmmm-kay !

gizmo1990

Post by gizmo1990 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Ok got the issue finally, not reading it till Xmas tho along with the previous issue. Saving them for the hols. :)

The cover.. I'm sorry but it's terrible. Obviously I'm in the minority though as the vast majority of posters here love it. Bizarre, the only reason I can think of for that is the old rose tinted syndrome.

In my opinion however this cover should have been the perfect opportunity for RG to reach out and get a few more readers along with premiering a gorgeous new piece of Frey artwork. What we got was a ps retread of an inferior old design that was rubbish to start with.

For shame on everyone involved. All I can think of is that the guy wasn't interested in the piece and just sleep walked it. But even if that was the case, professional pride should have kicked in. So he has to bear some of the blame. To the people who like this cover, I urge you to leaf through Frey's artbook. This cover isn't worth licking the feet of any of the pieces in there. In fact you wouldn't know it was the same guy. Tbh, I'm surprised the great man put his name to it.. :cry:

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:16 pm

gizmo1990 wrote:For shame on everyone involved.
I disagree with this guy and un-shame all involved, hope that's enough to cancel it out...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Granted its a forum and we all have different views but i 100% disagree with Gizmo.

Its a classic piece of old Olli Frey artwork which hes re-done. Superb to add to the old retro theme of RG. The original was a classic retro mag Xmas cover and i'm happy as hell it was re-designed and used.

Really cant please everyone can you !