Issue 58 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9013
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:31 am

The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.

Mind you, it's the only version I've played!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Post by TMR » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 am

neuromancer wrote:I keep seeing demos of a work-in-progress Space Harrier conversion on the A8 - does anyone know if this is still being coded?
That's being developed by Chris "Sheddy" Hutt and, although his site been deathly quiet recently, he did put an appearance in at Atari Age a few days ago and as far as i know it's still an ongoing project.

The problem with writing games under these circumstances is that they take a lot of time and indeed hard work and, if you're blogging about coding like some of us do, you frequently find yourself in a situation where you've done loads of work over a couple of weeks or even more but it's all little bits and bobs that just don't make for good reading!

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Post by neuromancer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 am

TMR wrote:
neuromancer wrote:I keep seeing demos of a work-in-progress Space Harrier conversion on the A8 - does anyone know if this is still being coded?
That's being developed by Chris "Sheddy" Hutt and, although his site been deathly quiet recently, he did put an appearance in at Atari Age a few days ago and as far as i know it's still an ongoing project.

The problem with writing games under these circumstances is that they take a lot of time and indeed hard work and, if you're blogging about coding like some of us do, you frequently find yourself in a situation where you've done loads of work over a couple of weeks or even more but it's all little bits and bobs that just don't make for good reading!
That's understandable. It's good to hear that the project is still live though.

I don't know if you have this month's GamesTM - there's an article on modding consoles and old computers; there is a picture of the fantastic Atari 800 laptop the chap made (I've seen it before, but it's nice to see it in print).

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah I never realised he was interviewed when it was first pitched, otherwise it would have had more coverage.
My bad, I really should have let you know that I'd gotten him on-board. Although in my defence, the feature was never actually 'pitched' by myself...you asked me to do it :)

Not got the issue yet but I'm personally looking forward to Ash's Shining Force feature...I'm a massive fan of the series.
Image

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 pm

jdanddiet wrote:The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.

Mind you, it's the only version I've played!
You don't need to. You struck gold on your first attempt. Well done!
Image

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:48 pm

I was considering picking up that Tecmo retro compilation for my old xbox as it had BombJack on it - has anyone played this version? - is it any good?

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I was considering picking up that Tecmo retro compilation for my old xbox as it had BombJack on it - has anyone played this version? - is it any good?
From what I've heard it's the original arcade version but with the Beatles music removed, which is a bit sad.

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Post by The Master » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 pm

You could always whistle. Or hum. Or get one of those kazoos. Or swanny-whistles.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:06 pm

SirClive wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.

Mind you, it's the only version I've played!
You don't need to. You struck gold on your first attempt. Well done!
Yep Speccy version is one of those rare beasts were the home conversion is better than the arcade original
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:39 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Yep Speccy version is one of those rare beasts were the home conversion is better than the arcade original
*choke* Now, I wouldn't go that far, sonny.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:05 am

Even I wouldn't go quite that far!
Image

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 am

seeing all this BombJack love, I was wondering - has BombJack had the RG treatment ever?

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:seeing all this BombJack love, I was wondering - has BombJack had the RG treatment ever?
Nope. I'm sure I'm not the only contributor to try doing so, but I did try getting in touch with Michitaka Tsuruta (the game's lead) a while ago, but didn't get a reply. Then again, experience suggests that unless you can write Japanese (which I can't), most Japanese people don't reply, so perhaps someone less linguistically challenged needs to have a go if they haven't already.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
Smurph
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Co. Antrim
Contact:

Post by Smurph » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:03 am

Not read much of the mag (only got it yesterday) but... Well... My face! In the mag! From the forum section, obviously, and I'm dead smug.

High five!

o/
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:13 am

jdanddiet wrote:The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.
WHAT!

The CPC version is much better!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests