Issue 58 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:31 am

The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.

Mind you, it's the only version I've played!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 am

neuromancer wrote:I keep seeing demos of a work-in-progress Space Harrier conversion on the A8 - does anyone know if this is still being coded?
That's being developed by Chris "Sheddy" Hutt and, although his site been deathly quiet recently, he did put an appearance in at Atari Age a few days ago and as far as i know it's still an ongoing project.

The problem with writing games under these circumstances is that they take a lot of time and indeed hard work and, if you're blogging about coding like some of us do, you frequently find yourself in a situation where you've done loads of work over a couple of weeks or even more but it's all little bits and bobs that just don't make for good reading!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 am

TMR wrote:
neuromancer wrote:I keep seeing demos of a work-in-progress Space Harrier conversion on the A8 - does anyone know if this is still being coded?
That's being developed by Chris "Sheddy" Hutt and, although his site been deathly quiet recently, he did put an appearance in at Atari Age a few days ago and as far as i know it's still an ongoing project.

The problem with writing games under these circumstances is that they take a lot of time and indeed hard work and, if you're blogging about coding like some of us do, you frequently find yourself in a situation where you've done loads of work over a couple of weeks or even more but it's all little bits and bobs that just don't make for good reading!
That's understandable. It's good to hear that the project is still live though.

I don't know if you have this month's GamesTM - there's an article on modding consoles and old computers; there is a picture of the fantastic Atari 800 laptop the chap made (I've seen it before, but it's nice to see it in print).

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah I never realised he was interviewed when it was first pitched, otherwise it would have had more coverage.
My bad, I really should have let you know that I'd gotten him on-board. Although in my defence, the feature was never actually 'pitched' by myself...you asked me to do it :)

Not got the issue yet but I'm personally looking forward to Ash's Shining Force feature...I'm a massive fan of the series.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 pm

jdanddiet wrote:The spectrum version of Bombjack is the best.

You don't need to. You struck gold on your first attempt. Well done!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:48 pm

I was considering picking up that Tecmo retro compilation for my old xbox as it had BombJack on it - has anyone played this version? - is it any good?

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I was considering picking up that Tecmo retro compilation for my old xbox as it had BombJack on it - has anyone played this version? - is it any good?
From what I've heard it's the original arcade version but with the Beatles music removed, which is a bit sad.

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 pm

You could always whistle. Or hum. Or get one of those kazoos. Or swanny-whistles.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:06 pm

SirClive wrote:

You don't need to. You struck gold on your first attempt. Well done!
Yep Speccy version is one of those rare beasts were the home conversion is better than the arcade original
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:39 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Yep Speccy version is one of those rare beasts were the home conversion is better than the arcade original
*choke* Now, I wouldn't go that far, sonny.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:05 am

Even I wouldn't go quite that far!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 am

seeing all this BombJack love, I was wondering - has BombJack had the RG treatment ever?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:seeing all this BombJack love, I was wondering - has BombJack had the RG treatment ever?
Nope. I'm sure I'm not the only contributor to try doing so, but I did try getting in touch with Michitaka Tsuruta (the game's lead) a while ago, but didn't get a reply. Then again, experience suggests that unless you can write Japanese (which I can't), most Japanese people don't reply, so perhaps someone less linguistically challenged needs to have a go if they haven't already.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:03 am

Not read much of the mag (only got it yesterday) but... Well... My face! In the mag! From the forum section, obviously, and I'm dead smug.

High five!

o/
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:13 am

WHAT!

The CPC version is much better!