Issue 58 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 pm

neuromancer wrote:I was just browsing the contents of the latest issue and went straight to the Activison article; I thought it looked familiar - is this a direct reprint (barring a few layout changes) of the GamesTM piece from issue 75 (Resident Evil 5 cover)?
Hope Darran doesn't mind me answering this.

There was an emergency on the day RG went to the printers, when they realised that an article had to be pulled at the last minute. There was no other choice but to take something from gamesTM, and it was decided that the Activision piece was most suited to the RG readership.

It's unfortunate that some readers will have already seen it, but it's better than having six blank pages, and it's another chance for others to see what I believe is a cracking interview with the Activision founders.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Not a problem for me, these things happen (plus I hadn't got around to reading the GamesTM original anyway!)

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Why was the article pulled? And what was it about? :shock:

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Ash wrote:
neuromancer wrote:I was just browsing the contents of the latest issue and went straight to the Activison article; I thought it looked familiar - is this a direct reprint (barring a few layout changes) of the GamesTM piece from issue 75 (Resident Evil 5 cover)?
Hope Darran doesn't mind me answering this.

There was an emergency on the day RG went to the printers, when they realised that an article had to be pulled at the last minute. There was no other choice but to take something from gamesTM, and it was decided that the Activision piece was most suited to the RG readership.

It's unfortunate that some readers will have already seen it, but it's better than having six blank pages, and it's another chance for others to see what I believe is a cracking interview with the Activision founders.
Fair feckin dos I say.

I've got a flight to London in the morning and I'm heading to that new White City shopping centre place on business. One of my first articles of business will be to find WH Smiths for what looks like a brilliant edition of RG

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Has it hit the shops yet?

gizmo1990

Post by gizmo1990 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm a massive, massive fan of Mr Frey but.. but.. I'm sorry I just don't think much of the cover.. :shock: Maybe I'll like it better once I've got my copy?

From the pictures posted here tho it just looks quite plain and artistically speaking, pretty weak..

I really rate the guy, his art book is in my reference collection and contains many many great images.

Man I'm really gutted to write this but there you go, obviously just a personal opinion too. Everyone else here seems to love it.

Perhaps there was a tight schedule which dictated him having to rework an old image? Thus meaning he couldn't get his teeth stuck into something original that showcases his talent?

If this was the case, perhaps RG can give the guy a little longer and commission him for another cover? Pretty please?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:45 pm

gizmo1990 wrote:Perhaps there was a tight schedule which dictated him having to rework an old image?
As Darran said, it was nothing to do with scheduling—the plan was to revisit an old cover (which, from a conceptual standpoint, works nicely in a magazine about old stuff, recycling, and occasional remakes).

Personally, I think it's a nice update. It's initially a little dark perhaps, but it then feels suitably wintry and festive, and has some great attention to detail. From a technical standpoint (as a daily Photoshop user), the colouring is also fantastic.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm

neuromancer wrote:Not a problem for me, these things happen (plus I hadn't got around to reading the GamesTM original anyway!)
Likewise actually, so no real complaints here. Curious to know what was pulled though...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
gizmo1990 wrote:Perhaps there was a tight schedule which dictated him having to rework an old image?
As Darran said, it was nothing to do with scheduling—the plan was to revisit an old cover (which, from a conceptual standpoint, works nicely in a magazine about old stuff, recycling, and occasional remakes).

Personally, I think it's a nice update. It's initially a little dark perhaps, but it then feels suitably wintry and festive, and has some great attention to detail. From a technical standpoint (as a daily Photoshop user), the colouring is also fantastic.
Well if that was his mandate , he done a good job. Having the 2 RG guys in the pic was fab , and I'm something that both will remember with fondness for the rest of their careers
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Personally I'm liking it more and more as a I'm becoming more familiar with it. All the little details are great - there's actually more going on there than the original Crash version.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 am

Another GamesTM reprint - TWO retrobate reviews...don't be blinded by the pretty cover - this is shoddy shoddy shoddy.

Seems to me RG doesnt have the resources to fill it's pages with original/professional articles - and that's a worry.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 am

GenghisJones wrote:Another GamesTM reprint - TWO retrobate reviews...don't be blinded by the pretty cover - this is shoddy shoddy shoddy.

Seems to me RG doesnt have the resources to fill it's pages with original/professional articles - and that's a worry.

Hey Genghis,

I can see where you're coming from but rest assured that's most certainly not the case. As Ash said, the Activision article went in because of an extremely last minute change to the mag. With regard to the retrobate reviews, Darran and I were actually questioning our decision to put two retrobate reviews in this issue and agreed that maybe it would be best to just keep it to one per issue in the future.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 am

Having not bought GamesTM for ages, I thoroughly enjoyed the Activision piece. Regarding the cover, I love it, a festive themed piece of Frey and a knowing wink to many of us Retrogamers that remember the original piece.

Overall I think this is a stronger Christmas issue than last years.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:08 am

I just wish I could get my hands on a copy - the cover looks wonderful - the last issue said it was in shops 6th december - so I guesss a few more days to wait....

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:10 am

GenghisJones wrote:

Hardly, RG has been run with either myself and a staffer or myself alone ever since the magazine resurfaced and we've never had an issue putting the magazine out to a solid quality.

I dislike using reprints, but in this case it was unavoidable and wasn't helped by the fact that I was off work with a bad back, so it was dealt with above my level and dealt with very well. As for the reader pieces, again we've listened to feedback (something most mags rarely act on as quickly as us) and they will drop back to one from issue 60). I mean you say Another GamesTM reprint as if it's a regular occurance (it isn't).

We cut the buyer's guide down to two pages because people moaned at its length, and those four pages have to be filled as carefully (and easily) as possible to ensure that we're not putting ourselves under pressure.

Standing pages in magazines are everywhere and ours are far less common than in other magazines that are available, particularly gaming magazines. Then there's the fact that our ad ratio is less than other mags, meaning we again have more editorial to create.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their feedback, but to call this issue shoddy is quite insulting. Especially when we've been busting our balls to ensure that you got the Christmas edition that you'd all been asking for for the past several months.