Retro Gamer eMag Volume 2 Now Available

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:50 pm

The Master wrote:Is the PDF embedded image quality higher on this one?
Dude.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:07 pm

I will defenitely get it, though I'm still looking for the first disc that's now sadly sold out.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:53 am

Are the binders going to made available in the near future?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 pm

The Master wrote:
The Master wrote:Is the PDF embedded image quality higher on this one?
Dude.
Well, mine arrived today and while I didn't get the last one, some of the images are almost impossible to make out on having a browse. No way of increasing the quality I assume?

Also seems to have been sat on in the post as the box is cracked.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 am

Ok, found the 'workaround' that was mentioned in an old post and am opening the individual PDAs for each article for the best image quality.

Did notice one issue though, the 'Whatever happened to...' for Mail Plane is tacked onto 'The Making of...' for The Immortal and doesn't appear in the Whatever Happened To... folder/section at all.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 pm

First up, great disc!

Really liking the extras and bonus content.
Also the feature to search for specific articles is very good.

Just a small request....

any chance of providing an html-based interface on the third version (along with the windows/osx ones) for those of use that want to browse through the disc on other systems?

Question

Post by Question » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:56 am

I know it is not the right topic, but I don't know where I can express my thoughts:

I find it really, really frustrating to see all the "Out of stock" buttons in the "Imagine Shop" for the "Retro Gamer Collections" and the "Retro Gamer eMag" Vol.1.

It is really so hard to rerelease one of these things? I mean you saw that they were so fast sold out, shouldn't it be in your interests that everyone who wants to have that gets one?

Best regards

A frustrated reader

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 am

I dont know the ins and outs whether they can get a 100 disc run done or the minimums 500 kinda thing.

Sure if they print/make too many discs and they dont sell out then it can cause a lot of problems financially.

In this current climate a niche title like Retro Gamer, i'm just glad its surviving.

At least we have ebay !

As for the retro gamer collections i still see the first one in some WH Smiths.

Almost A Hero

Post by Almost A Hero » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:42 am

Sureshot wrote:Ok, found the 'workaround' that was mentioned in an old post and am opening the individual PDAs for each article for the best image quality.

Did notice one issue though, the 'Whatever happened to...' for Mail Plane is tacked onto 'The Making of...' for The Immortal and doesn't appear in the Whatever Happened To... folder/section at all.
Any chance someone can point me in the direction of this fix? Recently received the eMag Vol.2 and love it, but as Sureshot states, the images are kind of arse.

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:10 am

Question wrote:I know it is not the right topic, but I don't know where I can express my thoughts:

I find it really, really frustrating to see all the "Out of stock" buttons in the "Imagine Shop" for the "Retro Gamer Collections" and the "Retro Gamer eMag" Vol.1.

It is really so hard to rerelease one of these things? I mean you saw that they were so fast sold out, shouldn't it be in your interests that everyone who wants to have that gets one?

Best regards

A frustrated reader
yeah sort it out lol! I dont have enough moolah to ebay the first 30 issues dammit!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Ill add my complaints to this as well. Its shocking that you still cant get the DVD if its a concern about selling stock then why not offer the chance to preorder with say a deposit. Then when you get enough orders just do a huge batch.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Jeremiah Jones

Re:

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm

neuromancer wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:How can volume 1 have sold out? Its just a DVD with case and printed label. Isn't there going to be anymore made? :(
What he said (ugh, did I really type that)
Thirded. I'm fortunate enough to have a copy; still, it seems the relative ease of making more copies (coupled with the demand) would warrant Imagine printing more. Makes good financial sense to me.

joefish

Re: Retro Gamer eMag Volume 2 Now Available

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:21 pm

It is a ridiculous state of affairs that this disk is 'sold out'. I mean most of the readership is more than capable of duplicating stuff like this on their own so how come Imagine Publishing completely fail to do so? Is the intention to encourage piracy or something? Look - HERE IS A £20 NOTE. I WOULD LIKE TO THROW THIS MONEY AT YOU. WE ALL WANT TO THROW MONEY AT YOU. Presumably they've made sufficient profit off the original run that a re-run, at £20 each, assuming they can keep duplication and distribution costs under £20 a unit, then it's all profit. And I'm pretty sure you could get them individually duplicated to order and hand-delivered for under £20 a unit, so what's the problem?

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:07 am

joefish wrote:It is a ridiculous state of affairs that this disk is 'sold out'. I mean most of the readership is more than capable of duplicating stuff like this on their own so how come Imagine Publishing completely fail to do so? Is the intention to encourage piracy or something? Look - HERE IS A £20 NOTE. I WOULD LIKE TO THROW THIS MONEY AT YOU. WE ALL WANT TO THROW MONEY AT YOU. Presumably they've made sufficient profit off the original run that a re-run, at £20 each, assuming they can keep duplication and distribution costs under £20 a unit, then it's all profit. And I'm pretty sure you could get them individually duplicated to order and hand-delivered for under £20 a unit, so what's the problem?
Could we have an official statement on this please? After lots of badgering we did manage to have the binders reinstated (and now I have three currently empty ones in case the well dries up once again).

Personally find myself wincing at the thought of spending £40 to obtain both the DVDs (mainly as I own every copy of the magazine and the bookazines, so I'm paying for a search facility - I hate reading content on screen, pdfs especially, so it's literally 'where are references to R-Type, for example, then finding the physical issue and reading it there). That said the search facility is a killer app that wouldn't be matched by any paper-based index.

Any official word, even if that word is that there will never be a re-run of the first disc (which, as the previous posts have stated, would seem to encourage piracy)?

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 am

Why don't they just let us buy the first disc as an digital file? No discs to be made, no stocks with money in them...
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club