Retroinspection - Archimedes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:29 am

MSX is perfect example of a machine I'd love to know more about - specifically things like the cartridge based games.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:08 am

I never knew much about that machine, downloaded an emulator then found a dodgy pirate site with tons of games for it, was stunned by the amount of Konami games for it and a lot of very good Gradius (think 1 -4) games for it and many others.

Superb system, a lot of good games for it

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:Hmm - y'all are not interested then ...? :(
I'm interested in it!
Havantgottaclue wrote:Perhaps the Archimedes has too few games to be worthwhile - those that did appear are high quality though, so perhaps they could swing it ...
Being and Archimedes owner, I have experienced the high quality of games on this superb system.
I want to see a Retroinspection on the archie.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah it did have some crackers, here's something I posted a while ago: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=824

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, i don't know much about the machine but i do have a couple of units if the mag needs piccies done... they'll need a bit of a clean though, i got them from a primary school! =-)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Saw a Memotech 512 go for £55 on ebay today - obviously rare - and it came with 37 games - I never even knew that many games existed for the system - did anyone ever own one?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:29 pm

I have an Acorn Archimedes A3010 in superb condition (and very clean) if RG want photos.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 am

Funny you should mention the memotech.....i used to work on the same park as the R&D/factory and i used to rifle through their bins for usefull parts that they discarded....includind floppy disc drives and chips which were really expensive in those days......
Also used to rifle the bins of Steepletone for thrown out speaker boxes and spares that the chucked out as well......Great days indeed !!!!!!!!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:45 am

There's a Memotech on eBay at the moment for a Buy-it-now price of £150, so it's obviously quite rare. For me it's not worth anything like that much - according to old-computers.com it is more-or-less MSX standard without being MSX compatible. Considering you can get hold of a Toshiba HX-10 for peanuts on eBay, and games are relatively easy to come by (on cassette, anyway), you'd get a lot more value for money from buying one of those.

Interestingly, or perhaps not, the MSX, Memotech MTX and TI 99/4a have very similar graphics capabilities, being based around a TMS 9918 or 9928 processor. The Colecovision also uses a TMS 9928.

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:03 am

I don't know too much about the Archimedes and so would support a retroinspection article, and would definitely support a TI99/4A article as this was the machine I wanted for Christmas when I was 10 (we had this machine at my school), and was disappointed when my dad produced a Commodore 64!!!!!

I'd also support the "smaller article for niche machines" idea and I'd personally love to see an article on the Atari competition (I had an Acetronic MPU-1000 and loved it. There is an excellent resource for the machine at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/fountain.htm)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:44 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:There's a Memotech on eBay at the moment for a Buy-it-now price of £150, .
150 for a Memotech - mother would never allow me to buy that! (it seems pretty extreme) - hopefully one day a carboot sale will turn up one.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 pm

An Archie piece would be cool. Played around with them a bit at college (mostly just Zarch which was pretty staggering for its time) but don't know a great deal otherwise, and all the Acorn features so far have been very interesting.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 pm

I posted up a similar topic on the old Archie. I used them at school (they were in the CDST department thoug, the computer department of my old school had the legendary RM Nimbus, hey maybe RG should do a feature on them!!! LOL!). We did get Lemmings for the Archies at school, and had a demo of SWIV. The conversions were very good, near identical to the Amigas, the Archie had technically better sound hardware, but there was no difference in sound compared with the Amiga version, at least on those two games anyway. I don't know if many joysticks, or joypads were available for the Archie.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:01 am

Our school was a bit of an inner city dump - we had these really old RML 380 and 480 machines - huge black metal beasts with 8 inch discs - they were years out of date even then. anyone else lumbered with these at school?

The only game we had was 'snake' - which me and two mates type in from a listing supplied by a kind maths teacher...same game that I now have on my new mobile...

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Our school was a bit of an inner city dump - we had these really old RML 380 and 480 machines - huge black metal beasts with 8 inch discs - they were years out of date even then. anyone else lumbered with these at school?
Not exactly, the school network used one Nimbus (a 380 i think... the description rings a bell and i remember the three at the start of the model number) with a 70Mb Winchester drive as the server and the machines themselves were Link 480Zs with greenscreen monitors. There were thirty or forty in total and if both classrooms were in use at once slowed to a crawl...