Retroinspection - Archimedes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Havantgottaclue

Retroinspection - Archimedes

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:23 pm

The Archimedes/Acorn RISC machines top my list of Retroinspection candidates. I know there weren't that many games for it, but I wasted quite a lot of time in later years at school during lunchtimes playing Twin World, Terramex and Zarch. There's also a decent conversion of Zool too - as far as I can make out it loses nothing to the Amiga version. It occupies a small window between the dominance of BBC Micros and Windows PCs in schools - it's a shame that it wasn't more successful. Too pricey to break into home markets, I suppose.

I'd also like to see something on the Oric-1 - I know it was covered in Best of British (issue 49), but there's quite a lot of software for it that didn't appear on other machines. Besides, any machine that has the commands ZAP, SHOOT and BANG in its BASIC deserves coverage. And it's a really elegant little machine, too.

There are still plenty of fascinating machines ripe for Retroinspections - apologies if they've been covered in earlier issues:

TI 99/4a
Sharp X68000
MSX2 - The original MSX has already been covered, I'm told - it must've been a while ago, though.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm

aye the msx was covered in very early RG days

psj3809

Re: Retroinspection - Archimedes

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote: TI 99/4a
Sharp X68000
MSX2 - The original MSX has already been covered, I'm told - it must've been a while ago, though.
Not a fan myself, its not like tons of people are downloading Sharp/TI 99 emulators to play tons of games on them though ? I mean when you think of Retro Gaming you dont really think of those machines ?

The MSX had a ton of great games including lots of very good Konami ones, still think the PC Engine should get more coverage, very underated machine.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:29 pm

metal gear on the msx-a classic

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:I'd also like to see something on the Oric-1 - I know it was covered in Best of British (issue 49), but there's quite a lot of software for it that didn't appear on other machines. Besides, any machine that has the commands ZAP, SHOOT and BANG in its BASIC deserves coverage. And it's a really elegant little machine, too.
Oric has had a full retroinspection in a back issue. Much as I love the system, I don't feel it needs any more coverage , though the occasional game feature would be nice.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:51 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:The Archimedes/Acorn RISC machines top my list of Retroinspection candidates. I know there weren't that many games for it, but I wasted quite a lot of time in later years at school during lunchtimes playing Twin World, Terramex and Zarch. There's also a decent conversion of Zool too - as far as I can make out it loses nothing to the Amiga version. It occupies a small window between the dominance of BBC Micros and Windows PCs in schools - it's a shame that it wasn't more successful. Too pricey to break into home markets, I suppose.
The Acorn Archimedes is a superb machine technically, unfortunately a lack of games is a bit of a problem. However, Krysilis were responsible for most of the ports from other machines to the archie. Lemming, Cannon Fodder, Man Utd Europe, Zool, Last Ninja. All very good versions, especially the super rare Last Ninja conversion.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 am

it appears to me that RG needs a sort of mini retrointrospection feature to cover lesser machine - especially all those 8 bits like memotech, enterprise etc. maybe just a 1 page item per issue on these lesser machines.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:52 am

Yeah thats a good idea. I mean to me the mags about gaming on retro machines, on the other hand theres a crowd of people who love techy stuff about the old machines which arent so well known. Thats fair enough but hopefully it wont be a huge 6 page type retrospection when the games for that actual machine arent great.

But would be interesting to have more features about other machines but like you say perhaps a 'mini' one.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:59 am

Hmm - y'all are not interested then ...? :(

The Oric must've been covered some time ago, as I missed out there. If it was done in the old RG, then I hope they do an article on it at some time in the future, because I think the new magazine does have a distinctive style, with its Top Ten/Best of the Rest layout.

Psj - I see what you're saying. But on the other hand, surely part of the purpose of Retroinspections is to encourage interest in obscure platforms? They've covered consoles like the PC-FX, which was a bit of a flop commercially, but there was an interesting story to it. The Sharp X68000 was quite a high powered machine, sporting titles which didn't appear on similar specced machines, such as the Amiga, over here. David GP pointed me towards some coverage of the Sharp X68000 Nemesis titles on his website, and I think titles such as these show that the machine could be interesting to readers. I think there's an interesting story to be told with the TI 99/4a too - it was a prominent casualty of the price wars with Commodore, and as such it, like the Atari 8-bit, has been demoted to obscurity rather too easily. The TI 99/4a isn't like, say, the Jupiter Ace, which had little to recommend it to gamers - it was a powerful machine that, before its demise, had some quality games (there's a great conversion of Congo Bongo for example).

As for the PC-Engine, it was Retroinspected in Issue 40, so comparatively recently, but a few more articles (I'm thinking in particular some 'The Classic Game' pieces) on it would be great.

Perhaps the Archimedes has too few games to be worthwhile - those that did appear are high quality though, so perhaps they could swing it ...

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah thats a good idea. I mean to me the mags about gaming on retro machines, on the other hand theres a crowd of people who love techy stuff about the old machines which arent so well known. Thats fair enough but hopefully it wont be a huge 6 page type retrospection when the games for that actual machine arent great.

But would be interesting to have more features about other machines but like you say perhaps a 'mini' one.
Yes, there's an idea - I guess they may have to change tack on Retroinspections as they're gradually getting towards the bottom of the barrel on interesting machines. A two-page job on something like the X68000 might be just the ticket.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:Psj - I see what you're saying. But on the other hand, surely part of the purpose of Retroinspections is to encourage interest in obscure platforms?

As for the PC-Engine, it was Retroinspected in Issue 40, so comparatively recently, but a few more articles (I'm thinking in particular some 'The Classic Game' pieces) on it would be great.

Perhaps the Archimedes has too few games to be worthwhile - those that did appear are high quality though, so perhaps they could swing it ...
Well to me i want to know about systems with great games that i might not know about. But granted most of the big ones have probably been done now. Techy fans will love to know about some obscure computer i'm sure but to me retro gamer is about great games on old machines.

But granted with no other mags similar to RG then RG could cater also for some tech retrospections of not so famous machines to keep those fans happy.

I know the PC Engine was featured a while back but thats a great gaming machine with superb emulators/games available. Hope lots of people play this machine on emulators (or buy it from ebay). Same with the MSX, very underated.

But yeah 2 page jobbies on some of the not so great gaming machines would be a good idea.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 am

of course at some point retroinspection will have coverered all the major platforms - there's only a finite amout of them - at that point I suspect RG will have to look at machines like archimedes etc

Personally I love obscure micros and consoles - but I realise they're not everyones cup of tea.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 am

psj3809 wrote:
Well to me i want to know about systems with great games that i might not know about. But granted most of the big ones have probably been done now. Techy fans will love to know about some obscure computer i'm sure but to me retro gamer is about great games on old machines.

But granted with no other mags similar to RG then RG could cater also for some tech retrospections of not so famous machines to keep those fans happy.

I know the PC Engine was featured a while back but thats a great gaming machine with superb emulators/games available. Hope lots of people play this machine on emulators (or buy it from ebay). Same with the MSX, very underated.

But yeah 2 page jobbies on some of the not so great gaming machines would be a good idea.
Hope your not refering to the X68k as a 'not so great' machine there! There are many, many great exclusives on it and ports of various games are parent platform perfect.

The reason its more of a obscure machine is that it was japanese exclusive - not because it was crap mind, but because the western markets were saturated with machines. Like the PC-98, far more popular in japan than any single equivalent platform (PC, Amiga, ST etc) ever was in the west, but how many people over here hear about that?

Personally I'd think it would be great to read about something less heard about, but it seems to me a lot of people who read RG simply want to read about stuff they played years ago and perhaps go back to it to relieve a bit of nostalgia, as opposed to discovering new platforms/games.

Kind of similar with the MSX, the better games were Japanese and thus didn't reach UK shores and as most people thought of the MSX as a generic 8bit in the UK, its not of much interest to them.

Anyway hopefully yeah, as the mainstream platforms have been RG will start covered the personally more interesting foreign platforms. I'm a bit worried they might just go with the easier and generic domestic platforms - Jupiter Ace etc. To me, as there is very little difference technically and gaming wise between a lot of domestic 8/16 bits they're not particularly interesting. The only real differences are the companies and people, which again don't particularly interest me, whereas with foreign platforms, Japanese especially, because the culture is so different, the machines and therefore games are totally different beasts.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:26 am

I'm personally all for knowing about new consoles/machines as long as theres some great games for it. Like the MSX, regularly play games on an emulator for that as there many great ones.

I dont mind if a machine is popular or not as long as it has decent games. No point having a retrospection on a 'whatever its called' from Zimbabwe which sold 100 computers worldwide but a few hardcore hardware fantatics are the only ones happy with the article.

So i'm all for hearing about something less known about as long as theres a ton of games for it. I dont want to read about games which i played years ago, due to emulators i've 'discovered' the MSX, PC Engine and a few others all of which have many great games which i regularly play.

I dont mind japanese machines/games but when an RPG is in japanese and theres no translation thats not much use then !

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52 pm

psj3809 wrote: The MSX had a ton of great games including lots of very good Konami ones, still think the PC Engine should get more coverage, very underated machine.
If I ever get to do another Eastern Promise I'll try and make it a PC Engine or MSX one then ;)