Question on subscriptions and the wellness of the magazine..

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:57 am

Hi all - just signed up to forum - and was bit alarmed to see this - I'm thinking of becoming subscriber for the first time...

N-revolution really committed suicide I think - I have a Wii and DS and used to buy t at first when it had those ace little booklets - but it just kept changing and I got bored. N-Gamer has much funnier writing.

Anyway - hopefully the excellent RG will continue

T.L.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:05 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
Anyway - hopefully the excellent RG will continue

T.L.
Why wouldn't it? We have a rock solid readership, don't have to rely on advertising like many other magazines have to and have no competition, offline or otherwise. I've been on Retro Gamer for three years now. Three years, which is an insane amount of time for what is such a ridiculously niche subject.

When RG first launched I gave them 3 months, I was wrong, we all were. Since it's revival (I obviously feel that) the magazine has gone from strength to strength, many freelancers who financially lost out with the closure of Live Publishing remained committed to working on the magazine and the pool of talent has continued.

You've only got to see some of the interviews we've run lately (Yu Suzuki, Hideo Kojima and a few I can't reveal just yet) to realise that Retro Gamer's reach and influence is continuing to grow and we're going to constantly push the mag both in terms of its redesign, the website and our blog.

Honestly, it's almost as if some people still want the magazine to fail...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:13 am

I think the majority of people will agree, just some of us because of the last 'event' with RG when it went under people are a bit nervous the second theres a recession.

I think retros getting more and more popular with lots of the big consoles etc allowing download services or repackaging old classic games.

Think theres a good healthy set of retro gamers on the net for many of the machines. Still wish there was one major forum as posting on all of them is difficult !

When you see how long some of the 8 bit mags lasted its amazing RG is fast approaching its 60th issue

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:19 am

Oh dear - only my 2nd post and I think I upset darran...sorry

I certainly don't want RG to fail.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:26 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Oh dear - only my 2nd post and I think I upset darran...sorry

I certainly don't want RG to fail.
Sorry - no pun intended? :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
... don't have to rely on advertising like many other magazines have to...
Why is this?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:16 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Oh dear - only my 2nd post and I think I upset darran...sorry
I don't think you upset him, Timothy—he was just using you post as a trigger to respond to the health of the mag.
clarance wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:... don't have to rely on advertising like many other magazines have to...
Why is this?
Retro Gamer is a niche title that (presumably) remains profitable just via sales and subscription copies, along with the small amount of advertising it attracts. By comparison, much larger titles (such as lad's mags) are utterly reliant on advertising revenue due to having much larger overheads, more pages and an expected lower cover price. Consequently, such mags are screwed if half the advertisers up sticks.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:26 am

So niche title really means lower overheads?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 am

Apparently the text on web pages starts to fade when there's a recession... :roll:

RG sounds like it's in a strong position, so a little less worrying and a bit more gaming!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:45 am

clarance wrote:So niche title really means lower overheads?
Not entirely—that's part of it. Niche title actually typically means a bunch of things, such as a lower readership, but one that's far more loyal, focussed editorial, a high editorial to ads ratio, a fairly high cover price, a fairly low staff count, and a fairly low number of adverts.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:44 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote: N-revolution really committed suicide I think
I totally agree. N-revolution started off as a nice glossy magazine aimed at the older Nintendo gamer (priced £3). Several issues down the line it completely changed (with no warning) into a magazine for kids (with 'free' sweets and stickers on the front), now priced £5!

I won't miss it.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:51 am

The one magazine I'm amazed that keeps going is that bi-monthly PSP guide. There's no content in it...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:52 am

Online is good but i love taking something away with me to read, i didnt just mean the bathroom !

I do like reading online reviews but just prefer reading them all in a book or magazine.

Sad to hear about N-Revolution and i presume potential redundancies but strange the way they changed it. Reminds me of Sinclair User, used to like that mag until it turned into one for much younger readers

Quaid

Post by Quaid » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:38 pm

boyo wrote:I see Imagine are launching a multi-platform web site as well at the end of the year to compete against IGN and Gamespot.

Not much overhead with online publications - this is the future I tell yer, and I bet $1 that Imagine will move 100% this way.
Then you'd be wrong, Boyo
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

Von Paulus

Post by Von Paulus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:13 pm

psj3809 wrote:Online is good but i love taking something away with me to read, i didnt just mean the bathroom !

I do like reading online reviews but just prefer reading them all in a book or magazine.
Fully agree. I don't read much online. I need to feel the weight, the volume, the smell of printing paper... call me old, retro or whatever, but that's the way. That's the reason why I subscribe RG.