Question on subscriptions and the wellness of the magazine..

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BatmiteReturns

Question on subscriptions and the wellness of the magazine..

Post by BatmiteReturns » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I live in the USA and cannot find any place to purchase this magazine anymore. I used to purchase it at Barnes & Noble but for the last 3 months I've missed it. I talked to an employee there and they said they don't know if they are still carrying it or not.

My question is, I plan on getting a subscription to the USA. It's around $125 USD but I just want to make sure that the company is still going to be in business in the next year.

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid because it did go out of business once before and $125 is a huge chunk of change.

Thanks.

Von Paulus

Post by Von Paulus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Even if they knew they weren't to be in business next year, do you expect them to tell you the truth?
The magazine is much better now than when it went out of business. I'm positive they will last at least one more year. :wink:

Quaid

Re: Question on subscriptions and the wellness of the magazi

Post by Quaid » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:58 am

BatmiteReturns wrote:I live in the USA and cannot find any place to purchase this magazine anymore. I used to purchase it at Barnes & Noble but for the last 3 months I've missed it. I talked to an employee there and they said they don't know if they are still carrying it or not.

My question is, I plan on getting a subscription to the USA. It's around $125 USD but I just want to make sure that the company is still going to be in business in the next year.

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid because it did go out of business once before and $125 is a huge chunk of change.

Thanks.
I can 100% guarantee that Retro Gamer will still be in business in the next year, Batmite. Retro Gamer is in rude health and getting stronger all the time. Your subscription is safe.
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

Dunjohn

Re: Question on subscriptions and the wellness of the magazi

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:10 am

Quaid wrote:
BatmiteReturns wrote:I live in the USA and cannot find any place to purchase this magazine anymore. I used to purchase it at Barnes & Noble but for the last 3 months I've missed it. I talked to an employee there and they said they don't know if they are still carrying it or not.

Thanks.
I can 100% guarantee that Retro Gamer will still be in business in the next year, Batmite. Retro Gamer is in rude health and getting stronger all the time. Your subscription is safe.
You're officially going to guarantee his $125? Very generous of you :wink:

It may just be something Barnes and Noble have decided to do, y'know, cost-cutting in this age of recession and all this. The magazine is pretty niche over here, I'd imagine it's even more so over there. Might've cost a lot to import.

There have been absolutely no rumblings that the magazine is in trouble, so if I was the subscribing type I would feel safe enough to subscribe at this time. Heck, if anything, my impression has been that it's been going from strength to strength. The website's been upgraded tremendously and the community aspect of the magazine that's been carefully nurtured will be a fairly solid buffer if things do go pearways.

But they won't.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:30 am

I'm gonna be renewing my subscription - so go for it! strenght in numbers

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 pm

i think the mag is doing well.Its very respected among the publishing and game company.Let alone the community here is very strong and supporting along with always fresh ideas for the mag
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Do you have to pay in one lump for overseas subs?. I'm pretty sure my sub comes out quarterly...ish.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

damoxuk

Post by damoxuk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 pm

Well considering the fact that it becomes out of stock/oop at the online shop so quick I'd give that a guess it's doing very well indeed - right?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Do you have to pay in one lump for overseas subs?. I'm pretty sure my sub comes out quarterly...ish.
Yes, international banks won't support British direct debit.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 am

damoxuk wrote:Well considering the fact that it becomes out of stock/oop at the online shop so quick I'd give that a guess it's doing very well indeed - right?
That is not a reflection on how well the magazine is doing. I guess Daz is the best person to provide an answer in this thread. But guaranteeing the existance of any magazine to be around in 12 months is not a sure thing at the moment.

Print is suffering in this economic decline, or so I hear.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 am

boyo wrote:
Print is suffering in this economic decline, or so I hear.
I thought everything was suffering in this economic decline...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:36 am

boyo wrote:Print is suffering in this economic decline, or so I hear.
Generally, niche titles tend to weather recessions fairly well, because people cut back on the very large luxuries (new TVs, holidays), but retain their small bits of happy (favourite magazines, CDs of favourite artists, etc.)

As long as the publisher's not doing anything crazy, and as long as the price doesn't skyrocket suddenly (although I'm frankly amazed RG hasn't jumped to six quid during the past couple of years—sticking at its price-point for so long is a surprisingly noble thing to see in publishing), it'd be surprising to see Retro Gamer not come through reasonably unscathed.

It's the large titles wholly dependant on advertising that are more at risk, since said advertising is purely based on circulation. When the circulation dips, the advertisers pull out and the title suddenly finds itself rather lacking in funds. With niche titles (<25,000) more reliant on subscriptions and news-stand sales, they're actually less at risk.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:07 am

I was referring to Print generally. Surely Imagine has titles that do rely on advertising revenue. If these core magazines cannot sustain their sales numbers and therefore fail to attract the big ££ advertising campaigns, the overall well-being of Imagine will suffer and inevitably there is a risk that magazines in their portfolio will get axed.

All I was saying in my original post that in this current climate, one cannot assume that any magazine is 'safe' and give a gurantee that it will be around in a years time.

And yes, I agree, that nothing is 100% 'safe' these days - 100 redundancies just announced in my company - we employ 800 (or we did!).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:54 am

He only guaranteed 'in the next year', not fo a year. So that is only 7 weeks guarantee ;)

People should spemd less time worrying about what might happen and just enjoy the here and now.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
boyo wrote:Print is suffering in this economic decline, or so I hear.
Generally, niche titles tend to weather recessions fairly well, because people cut back on the very large luxuries (new TVs, holidays), but retain their small bits of happy (favourite magazines, CDs of favourite artists, etc.)
quote]

Good to hear RG should continue. I for one will only stop buying it when I can no longer afford food for my children.

I guess it depends where you read, but I heard TVs are doing a roaring trade (along with digital tv) as people invest in stay at home activities.