Issue 57 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 am

no election special with banarepublic and diplomacy and stuff? miss opportunity!
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:55 am

Thought the Bubble Bobble pixel perfect feature was rubbish!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 am

romanista wrote:no election special with banarepublic and diplomacy and stuff? miss opportunity!
Well, there's not an election happening in the country where Retro Gamer is published. The US one wouldn't be a large enough hook for the newsstand.

As for Bubble Bobble, I'm reliably informed that it'll make its way on to the pixel perfect pages at some point over the coming months.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 am

romanista wrote:no election special with banarepublic and diplomacy and stuff? miss opportunity!
Err ? You joking ? Theres no election in the UK and if there was i wouldnt expect a retro games mag to cover it/have political themed games in the edition etc !

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Thought the Bubble Bobble pixel perfect feature was rubbish!!
I don't remember saying it was definately in this issue...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 am

pforson wrote:Why was there even a halloween feature? we're not American.
Eh!? What American?!!? What!!!
Ofcourse we celabrate haloween!? 'Dooking' for apples and nuts, decorating the house/garden/highstree shops etc with 'spooky' stuff. Turnips (now pumpkin) jacko lanterns (was started/invented over here by the way). Going out 'guising', halloween parties in houses, pubs and clubs!?!

What are you talking about? :(

P.S. The level 9 stuff is good :)
Last edited by GarryG on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:35 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Thought the Bubble Bobble pixel perfect feature was rubbish!!
I don't remember saying it was definately in this issue...
You didn't - just hoped it was, that's all!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:06 pm

GarryG wrote:
pforson wrote:Why was there even a halloween feature? we're not American.
Eh!? What American?!!? What!!!
Ofcourse we celabrate haloween!? 'Dooking' for apples and nuts, decorating the house/garden/highstree shops etc with 'spooky' stuff. Turnips (now pumpkin) jacko lanterns (was started/invented over here by the way). Going out 'guising', halloween parties in houses, pubs and clubs!?!

What are you talking about? :(

P.S. The level 9 stuff is good :)
After having eventualy read the rest of this thread, I should say that I am Scottish.

Don't you celebrate Halloween in England, Irland and Wales then :o
I just sort of assumed that all of Britain did!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:29 pm

romanista wrote:no election special ...
But there was an Electron special. Close enough, I'd say.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 pm

GarryG wrote: Don't you celebrate Halloween in England, Irland and Wales then :o
I just sort of assumed that all of Britain did!
Nowadays yep but when i was growing up in the 80s no-one up our street had ever heard of it when we tried to go trick or treating. Don't even know where we picked up the idea of trick or treating from. We knew about it from somewhere, maybe some american movie or something. But after turning up at a few people's doors and saying "trick or treat" to their bemused faces and replies of "what's that mean then?" we gave up pretty quick...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Ok, proper mag feedback from me (for a change!)

Cover - Really like it. However, I prefer those recent covers such as Outrun and Track & Field which may be spotted by someone in Smiths and buy it for the first time.

Letters Page - Not great as ever but that's not the fault of the team!

Collectors Corner - I feel this is dying a slow painful death. Again, not the fault of the team but the shot of Playstation games on the 2 shelves is pointless.

Back to the 80s / 90s - Love it, as always!

Level 9 - Not into text adventures but the feature was excellent.

Alien vs Predator - Ok but not enough game shots.

Pixel Perfect - Great choice of game. All of the sprites look great, except for the Crow one - how come?

Acorn Electron - Retroinspections are always fantastic and this is no exception. Still gutted about the C16 not having the best of the rest pics though! Question - reference was made to Peter Scott's port of Sim City but no screenshot?

Videogame Nasties - Quite good article, perfect for us non Germans who got the mag a day or two after Oct 31st :wink:

Something Old Something New - Great feature and want more of these. The screenshots page is awesome!

International Soccer / Basketball - Best thing about the mag this month! Another well done from me for Craig - I love it when someone from the 8bit era is prepared to provide such insight.

Quake II - Its an FPS, so meh.

Microprose - Looking forward to part 2 already.

Stormlord - Knockers - I want more.......

Desert Island Disks - Good to see this again, more please (no 8 was a great choice!)

Retro Shamer - Still not really liking this but its the best one so far.

Panzer Dragoon - Not for me, shame its a 2 parter.

Retro Rated - HUGE number of games this time - cool!

Homebrew - Like the 4 pages, split equally between reviews and interviews. This section really needs a make-over though.

Readers Revival - Not bad - thing is, im on the site every day so have read every review. But its another bit of reader interaction so its a good thing - screenshot is ace!

Adverts - The Stormlord feature was the only pic of boobies this issue, which is a shame :wink: :lol:

So to sum up (and im bored now) really great issue (even though I wasn't in it!!!!)

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Acorn Electron - Retroinspections are always fantastic and this is no exception. Still gutted about the C16 not having the best of the rest pics though! Question - reference was made to Peter Scott's port of Sim City but no screenshot?
Thanks for the feedback (I'm the author of the Electron piece).

I did file a screenshot of Sim City, but in fairness I filed a ridiculous number of pics, and it probably would've taken another 2 pages to accommodate them all. All told, I think Mr Scott still did pretty well out of the piece!

Here's the pic...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:40 pm

ivortheinjun wrote:Thanks for the feedback (I'm the author of the Electron piece)
You are welcome, it was a great piece - I said it on here earlier but I just love the look of the Electron - I think its the best looking 8-bit computer of the time!

Oh, and thanks for the pic - it also saves me from asking the question of recommending an Electron emulator!!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Bub&Bob wrote: Alien vs Predator - Ok but not enough game shots.
Hmm.. I'd agree actually. I did spend ages taking screengrabs so not sure exactly what happened. Personally I'd rather see more smaller screengrabs than just one or two blown-up ones.

Cheeseburger

Post by Cheeseburger » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:57 am

Great to see Level 9 featured as text adventures always seem to be down the pecking order. I don't know if they've been featured in early issues but something on Zenobi or Gilsoft would be great.