gamesTM Retro - Your thoughts

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:30 am

Kenz wrote:I miss the "Crash" style cover pages that GamesTM used to use for the retro section. I kind of lost interest in the mag when it had its big facelift and by dropping the Crash theme you were kind of taking away my comfy cushion. :(

The image quality of some of the Oli Frey pics that were used as Retro covers was a bit ropey and at times though - it was a shame to see such badly restored versions of classic mag artwork being used. I can remember seeing the "Elite" pic Oli did for Zzap! issue 1 being used in the mag and it looked dreadful! (Well, not as nice as the mockup I did for the RG Elite issue) ;)

I'd just like to say, that is so much nicer than the real Elite issue cover. Skills indeed. 8)
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:50 am

Cheers mate! I actually did that mockup as I thought the Oli pic would have made a great cover for the Elite issue (and it helped that I'd already restored the Elite painting) :)

But anyway, getting the thread back on track ... Seeing as how Imagine own both GamesTM and Retro Gamer wouldn't it make sense to phase out the retro section in GamesTM and use the retro content in RG instead? (Not that I want to see anyone lose their jobs or anything!) :shock:
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Kenz wrote: But anyway, getting the thread back on track ... Seeing as how Imagine own both GamesTM and Retro Gamer wouldn't it make sense to phase out the retro section in GamesTM and use the retro content in RG instead? (Not that I want to see anyone lose their jobs or anything!) :shock:
It's still a huge selling point for gamesTM as it's something the other multiformat mags don't really do, at least not in the same depth. Can't see it closing any time soon.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree - the retro section in games TM is the main reason I buy it rather than Edge. As long as GamesTM's retro is distinctive from RGs, then it's a win win situation.

content wise i'd be happy if GTM covered the 1970s and late 1990s - as RG covers the 80s and early 90s pretty well

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm

GenghisJones wrote: content wise i'd be happy if GTM covered the 1970s and late 1990s - as RG covers the 80s and early 90s pretty well
Coincidentally, those two periods happen to be my favourite to write about, so you're in luck. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Kenz wrote:Seeing as how Imagine own both GamesTM and Retro Gamer wouldn't it make sense to phase out the retro section in GamesTM
Not if they want to keep selling me 2 mags. I'd end up with RG and Edge (even though the latter only has a few pages of retro, it'd fill my mixed gen needs - 1 Wii review is all I need).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:28 pm

GenghisJones wrote:I agree - the retro section in games TM is the main reason I buy it rather than Edge. As long as GamesTM's retro is distinctive from RGs, then it's a win win situation.

content wise i'd be happy if GTM covered the 1970s and late 1990s - as RG covers the 80s and early 90s pretty well
Though it may be contrary to the wider use of retro on this forum, I would like to see coverage of games from the early days of the previous generation (PS2,GC,Xbox) in GTM Retro.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:09 pm

knight_beat wrote: Though it may be contrary to the wider use of retro on this forum, I would like to see coverage of games from the early days of the previous generation (PS2,GC,Xbox) in GTM Retro.
Interesting. We've dabbled in this since the re-design. There was a Behind The Scenes on Metroid Prime and a Best Games Of The Last Generation feature, but that's it so far. There wasn't much of a reaction to these so I wasn't sure if they were popular or not.

What sort of last-gen stuff would you be interested in? Making Ofs, mostly?

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:24 pm

I'd like to see coverage of how classic franchises faired on Xbox and Gamecube - I'm thinking for example Xbox's castlevania; Gamecube's Defender etc...basically making a thread from the old days to the early 1990s.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:57 pm

I'd like to see in depth features on great games from the last generation that didn't do as well as they deserved to (prime examples are Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts). It might be a way of getting a few more people out there to actually hunt them down & play them. :D

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I know this thread is a tad old - but I happened to read this month's GamesTM on the way home and thought the retro section was pretty good much better than when I last read it 4 or 5 issues ago. I think it compliments RG much more now.

As a semi regular reader of GamesTM, what I'd really like to see is a bookazine of each years retro sections - I got the first 2 and they were splendid indeed.

(by the way - what does the TM in GamesTM stand for???)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Dark Reaper wrote:I'd like to see in depth features on great games from the last generation that didn't do as well as they deserved to (prime examples are Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts). It might be a way of getting a few more people out there to actually hunt them down & play them. :D
I'd love to occassionally cover gameCube/Xbox etc in the mag, but I'd get lynched.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 am

DonkeySpank wrote:I absolutely friggin LOVED the big coffee-table-book anthologies! I mean L-O-V-E-D them!!!

Another one of those would be mucho appreciated!!!!
Totally agree, i wont buy GamesTM just for the mini retro games section just because i'm not interested in the rest of it.

I'll 100% buy the retro anthology though, they were superb

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 am

David wrote:And do we really need to hear every single feckin story that Atari E.T guy can remember? It's lkike the videogame version of Uncle Albert.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. He's only really got two stories. One about ET, Raiders and Steven Spielberg, and the other about how Atari programmers got drunk and smoked drugs... he's told them at least ten times each. Enough already!

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:53 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'd love to occassionally cover gameCube/Xbox etc in the mag, but I'd get lynched.
Censored that mob. I'll help lynch the lynchers.