gamesTM Retro - Your thoughts

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

gamesTM Retro - Your thoughts

Post by Ash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:54 am

Guys, I'm still on gamesTM but haven't been officially in charge of the retro section for some time. That all changes this month and I'm now thinking of making a few alterations/additions to the current formula.

I value the opinion of all of you here, so I'd like to ask what kind of stuff you would like to see in the section in the future. What do you currently love and what do you hate?

Bear in mind I can't do anything about the visual design of the mag - just the editorial content. Also, be aware that I'll consciously be trying to make something different to Retro Gamer... no point making a miniature version of mag that's already available now is there?

Anyway, let me know what you'd like to see. And please be gentle with me. Smile

Ash

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:56 am

Would it be at all possible to make the mini mag a pull-out? I like GamesTM, but don't buy it. I'm not interested in current gen stuff, tbh. I would, however buy it if the retro bit was seperate. Like all the mini mags in recent history from the CVG one for handhelds in the 90s to the PSP one in the PS2 mag a couple of years ago, I really liked having and collecting them.

I'd buy GamesTM if the Retro bit was detachable.
Thoughts and prayers.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:58 am

That won't happen but it's possible that we'll do another anthology of just retro material at some point.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:09 am

Well I'd like to see game format comparisons and complete history of franchises... or even a look back at retro compilations.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:43 pm

another Games TM anthology would be fantastic - the first two get are awesome.

as far the monthly mag goes, i'd love to see more articles covering slightly more offbeat stuff - old Binatone pong consoles; Vic20 games on cartridges - things basically that havent been done to death.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:57 am

I miss the "Crash" style cover pages that GamesTM used to use for the retro section. I kind of lost interest in the mag when it had its big facelift and by dropping the Crash theme you were kind of taking away my comfy cushion. :(

The image quality of some of the Oli Frey pics that were used as Retro covers was a bit ropey and at times though - it was a shame to see such badly restored versions of classic mag artwork being used. I can remember seeing the "Elite" pic Oli did for Zzap! issue 1 being used in the mag and it looked dreadful! (Well, not as nice as the mockup I did for the RG Elite issue) ;)

http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 am

I used to love the retro section in GamesTM. It was the only reason I bought the mag to be honest (before I knew RG mag even existed)

But when the format and layout of GamesTM changed it kinda put me off the whole mag, and the retro part seems to have shrunk.

And do we really need to hear every single feckin story that Atari E.T guy can remember? It's lkike the videogame version of Uncle Albert.

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:44 am

I used to buy GamesTm when Darran was at the helm of the retro section - he's now at the helm of Retro Gamer so there is no point me buying GamesTm.

I flick through the mag now and then to see what is in the Retro section - but it's pretty crap now really, just like the rest of the GamesTm mag.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:02 am

I absolutely friggin LOVED the big coffee-table-book anthologies! I mean L-O-V-E-D them!!!

Another one of those would be mucho appreciated!!!!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 am

Scrap GamesTM Retro and just produce annual coffee table books.
Not very helpful to you Ash, but I have always felt that having Retro in TM was wrong anyway.

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 am

nothing to do with retro, but that bit where the guy in Japan rambles on for two pages, then gives you a wee bit of japanese phrases translated is really annoying as well.

Rgds,

Victor Meldrew :D

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:43 am

I think it should just be about Retro in the modern day - ie Xbox live arcade stuff, PS3 downloads, new retro compilations for PSP et all etc. I see RetroGamer as being about 'proper' retro and look-backs whereas GamesTM is a modern day all formats mag bought by people who have modern equipment. Showcasing super old stuff may not be as relevant unless it links to a modern day version.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:26 am

My fave bit about Games TM retro is the Top 10 section - I always enjoy reading that. Although I don't buy Games TM as I'm a Retro Gamer subscriber and my friends a Games TM subscriber, so we share -hehe.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 am

Mootown wrote:I think it should just be about Retro in the modern day - ie Xbox live arcade stuff, PS3 downloads, new retro compilations for PSP et all etc. I see RetroGamer as being about 'proper' retro and look-backs whereas GamesTM is a modern day all formats mag bought by people who have modern equipment. Showcasing super old stuff may not be as relevant unless it links to a modern day version.
I think that is a great idea.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:44 am

rossi46 wrote:Would it be at all possible to make the mini mag a pull-out?
I strongly agree with this, 'cos then it'd be easy to nick from Smiths :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip