Readers' Retro Shamer: Episode 6

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which game would you most like to see feature in Retro Shamer?

Street Combat (SNES)
24%
Cap'n America and the Avenegers (SNES)
56%
Microleague Wrestling (C64)
20%

Total votes: 25

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:17 pm

SirClive wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:Well I thought Breakthru on the Speccy was ok so won't be voting for that. I've never played the others.
I voted Breakthru because the Speccy version was so bad. Completed it on my first go and wrote a letter of complaint to US Gold about how bads it was. They didn't reply.
That's funny. I'm still waiting for a reply to my letter about World Cup Carnival. :roll:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:14 am

merman wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I say Cap & the Avengers. One of my favorite arcade games but such a shabby home port.
Don't you mean Cap & The Avenegers ;)

It is terrible, so I've voted for it
Thanks, you two :D

I've been 'championing' this since Retro Shamer started. The Megadrive version wasn't the best game ever but the SNES port made it look like a masterpiece.

I'd even go as far as saying that the SNES version was perhaps even worse than Rise Of The Robots :shock:

Time it got the Shamer treatment, it's been let off way too long already.

And thanks Stuart for continuously including it in the polls for me, we'll get it in the end ;)

Definitely will vote for Speccy Breakthru next time though, as you can complete it by just holding 'Jump' down. :lol: But even then it offers more playability than Cap'n America and the Avengers on SNES.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:27 am

I had Breakthru on the Speccy and I did not think very much of it as it had appalling gameplay and no enjoyment at all. :(
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:59 pm

You are all MAD!

Captain America And The Avengers was absolutely brilliant, at least on the Mega Drive.

Having said that, my mates and I did take the censored out of it a lot. The way Captain America would say "Thank you.................... Wonder Man" used to have me in stitches.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:37 am

I voted for Street Combat as it was the only one I remember.. Rather than releasing Snes Ranma - they took all the Ranma characters changed the sex on half of them and americanised them
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 am

Ash wrote:You are all MAD!

Captain America And The Avengers was absolutely brilliant, at least on the Mega Drive.

Having said that, my mates and I did take the censored out of it a lot. The way Captain America would say "Thank you.................... Wonder Man" used to have me in stitches.
Not at all. Read my post again. I eventually got the Mega Drive version and still have it, it's still fun to play.

The SNES version I originally had was a censored up of epic proportions however.

I urge anybody who's never played it to first try the arcade version on MAME, then the Mega Drive version, then the SNES version on emulators. You'll soon see why I specifically hate the SNES version and you'll be voting for it in droves!
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:06 am

I voted for Cap only because I'm a Marvel fan and have no knowledge of this game outside that is exists.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:33 am

JD! wrote:I voted for Cap only because I'm a Marvel fan and have no knowledge of this game outside that is exists.
Which is why these votes are pretty pointless. A lot of the time people have different agenda's other than the 'which is the worst game' one (I have been guilty of that myself!).

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 pm

SirClive wrote:
JD! wrote:I voted for Cap only because I'm a Marvel fan and have no knowledge of this game outside that is exists.
Which is why these votes are pretty pointless. A lot of the time people have different agenda's other than the 'which is the worst game' one (I have been guilty of that myself!).
Well, I've not actually played any of them so I couldn't do a "good" vote anyway. :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 am

Ash wrote:You are all MAD!

I absolutely love the arcade version, which is why after the terrible Snes port and the average Megadrive port I went out and bought the original arcade PCB to play on my Supergun. I voted for the Snes port because it disgraces a great and playable arcade game and transformed it into an unplayable mess.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 am

I don't know any of the aforemetioned titles so I picked at random: Street Combat...

Sounds like a cheap crossover between Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter... should be dreadful! :lol:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 am

Looks like Christmas has come early for Toxie then. :)