Any plans for a Mame cab feature?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Post by David » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:14 am

The Master wrote:I would literally worship an article on MAME cabs. So long as you don't call them "MAME cabs" .
How about "Home Made Funboxes"?

Big Wooden Gamebox?

:lol:

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:20 am

Big Hairy Fun Box...

wait, that's a different forum...!

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:43 am

I would be happy to oblige :D

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:55 am

DonkeySpank wrote:Big Hairy Fun Box...

wait, that's a different forum...!
You could be getting yourself into a sticky situation :shock:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:58 am

Happy for pictures of my bartop to be used if theres anything about Boyo and his cabs. I didnt go for a full arcade machine because of space but got just the 'top half' which is ideal and looks superb.

Some people moan about the price of these machines which is laughable as if you tried to get one from a proper store it'll cost you over a grand easily.

The parts cost a fair bit so i doubt if Boyo or anyone else makes tons from it. The end results are superb though, recently went down to see Boyo to put an upgraded machine in mine, works like a dream

John

Post by John » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 pm

I'd really like the opportunity to see companies like Chicago Gaming Company or Global VR get some coverage on thier cabinets. Chicago Gaming's cabs such as Ultimate Arcade 2 sold in Costco, and Arcade Legends 2 are really well constructed cabs.

Ex:
Chicago Gaming Company Link
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/alegends.php

Check out Ultimate Arcade 2+ at Costco.com as well.

The most important aspect is that all of games that appear on these machines are fully licensed. Games from Technos Japan/Million, Taito, Irem, Atari, Capcom, Exidy are all legit - each of these companies gets paid royalties. While covering the hobby and homemade scene is great, it wouldn't be a great service to cover the operations that are ripping off developers and publishers.

Namco is one such company that is cracking down on the bootleg home cabinet operations, their lawsuit against Eagle Distributing for their pirate Pac-Man cabs is one such example.

I'm all for the homemade scene as long as it's kept in the home, but I hear that the legit cabinet makers are really hurting due to the pirate operations. :cry:

- John

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:39 am

ripping off developers? I put so many 10p's into the arcade games since 1981 the way I see it they should pay ME for having a cab!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:13 am

John wrote:
I'm all for the homemade scene as long as it's kept in the home, but I hear that the legit cabinet makers are really hurting due to the pirate operations. :cry:

- John
I agree with most of that 100%. Its important to remember though that most 'legitimate' makers of multi-game machines utilise loads of stuff thats developed and made available for free by the emulation community, the whole multi-game cab industry in fact owes its existence to the emulation community. Just about all of them use software that is either directly ripped off or derivative/modified versions of software that is made freely available. The Mame licence specifically forbids its use commercially in any capacity.

The quality cabs using quality parts always cost a lot more and will be bought by people who want something a bit smart and classy, they aren't really in competition with the Jamma cab conversion merchants who bung a mame cab full of roms on ebay for a couple of hundred quid.

The people buying those cabs wouldn't consider parting with the dangerous side of £2000 for a machine anyway. Even the 1xxx -in - 1 Jamma boards you can buy aren't legitimate game boards they are just modified PC's running mame (and usually the mamewah FE).

So their market isn't really being hit at all and its a bit naughty when they themselves are playing fast and low with the software they use on their machines in the first place.

Its the whole reason Mame was trademarked by its devs a little while back when the owner of Ultracade tried to apply for the trademark and ownership of Mame.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

jojo86blah

MAME

Post by jojo86blah » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi i really want to get a MAME cab for my boyfriend's 21st in january he loves his games an stuff an i know how much he wants one an it'd b perfect. heres the thing wen it comes to building one i think if i could get all the bits in flat pack form with all the wires and monitor and controls it'd be great cos he cud jus put it2gether himself, but at the same time getting it already made would be great too even though im pretty sure he'd enjoy messing around and fixing it up himself!! heres my problem though i want to get this on a budget because as much as i love him im a student!!!!
:P iv read online that you can get old arcade machines from arcades and that for nothing but i really dont know were2start could some one please help me out and email me with some good advice on sligo_pinkie@yahoo.ie
i check it daily so itd be best to email me!!! thnks guys (n girls!!!) :lol:

John

Re:

Post by John » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:31 pm

FatTrucker wrote:

Its the whole reason Mame was trademarked by its devs a little while back when the owner of Ultracade tried to apply for the trademark and ownership of Mame.
Speaking of which, and that particular owner (or former owner) of Ultracade that's in big-time trouble with a 35 count felony indictment against him, I was wondering if anyone has seen or played games on the Ultracade cabinets in any other countries other than North America? I understand that a lot of Ultracades were distributed in the UK and Australia, even Japan at one point, but has anyone seen them in arcades still in operation? I'm interested to know in which countries they can be found outside North America.

- John

paranoid marvin

Re: Any plans for a Mame cab feature?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 am

Would love to see one based around an original arcade cab restoration. Think we had one in 'old' RG with Archer and a Missile Command cab? Seeing an Afterburner, Outrun , Space Harrier hydraulic cab would be sweet , or a Battlezone , Star Wars sit-down or Op Wolf cab would be ace.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Joey

Re: MAME

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 am

jojo86blah wrote:Hi i really want to get a MAME cab for my boyfriend's 21st in january he loves his games an stuff an i know how much he wants one an it'd b perfect. heres the thing wen it comes to building one i think if i could get all the bits in flat pack form with all the wires and monitor and controls it'd be great cos he cud jus put it2gether himself, but at the same time getting it already made would be great too even though im pretty sure he'd enjoy messing around and fixing it up himself!! heres my problem though i want to get this on a budget because as much as i love him im a student!!!!
:P iv read online that you can get old arcade machines from arcades and that for nothing but i really dont know were2start could some one please help me out and email me with some good advice on sligo_pinkie@yahoo.ie
i check it daily so itd be best to email me!!! thnks guys (n girls!!!) :lol:
Mine stood me at about just under £400 to buy and get going.

This included:
The cab
P4 PC
J-PAC
Arcade VGA
6 extra buttons and switches
Wires and connectors etc

You can do it for cheaper, the major factor being how cheap you can get the cab for. Also you dont have to use the Arcade VGA gfx card as there is software like soft-15khz that will display windows on an arcade monitor.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:24 am

I just wish I could find somewhere aside from eBay to buy an already altered cab. I'm all for this feature obviously.

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I would absolutely love to see a feature on mame cabs. I could also submit some pics and stuff of my cab which is in mid-production.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:06 pm

monkey puzzle wrote:I would absolutely love to see a feature on mame cabs. I could also submit some pics and stuff of my cab which is in mid-production.

The problem with featuring a 'mame' cab would be the legal issues regarding emulation , something RG understandably has to be wary of. Whether a feature can focus on a 'mame' cab without going into detail on the software installed is questionable.Building a cab to house legitimate ROM(s) on the other hand would present no problems.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"