Scariest moments in a videogame?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Any of the project zero games by a long way! The woman who crawls under the floorboards with broken arms and legs got me. The song in PZ3 about the priestess freaked my girlfriend out so much she went in the other room whenever I played it.

Any RPG when you've played for 2 hours without a save point gets quite scary too.

Baki

Post by Baki » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Not just a moment but all the time I was playing Silent Hill 2 I had an uneasy feeling. The ambient sounds just scared the sh#t out off me all the time.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Resident Evil 4 - PS 2, when the snakes jump out of the barrels!

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm

In Gribbly's day out when all the force fields come down and that black spider monster thing comes after you.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Okay, so I'll bypass the obvious (and aforementioned) dogs in Resident Evil, though it was the first game to scare the world!

Anyway, I suppose that the encounter with Pyramid Head on the steps in Silent Hill has to be one of the scariest moments outside of the Resident Evil series. Though the scariest game I've ever played is definitely Condemned, that game just creeps me out too much to even warrant playing it (especially in surround sound). Much like I don't really see the point of scaring myself silly watching a horror film, I also don't see the point of doing in a game, where the interaction creates an even more intense experience!
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 am

First game that scared me was a game (probably educational) on the BBC b school computer called "Grannys Garden".

You had some sort of task to complete, i seem to remember 3 dragons with different coloured rings or something anyways if you went "wrong" then the witch would capture you....and a pixely witch was the size of half the screen a bit like those scary maze exorcist things would appear.

And trust me when you are like 6 or7 that is scary.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:First game that scared me was a game (probably educational) on the BBC b school computer called "Grannys Garden".

You had some sort of task to complete, i seem to remember 3 dragons with different coloured rings or something anyways if you went "wrong" then the witch would capture you....and a pixely witch was the size of half the screen a bit like those scary maze exorcist things would appear.

And trust me when you are like 6 or7 that is scary.
I remember this one....Good call.....

BOO!

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:18 am

Some of the scariest moments for me where in System Shock 2. I got so drawn into that game that every message I listened to added to the atmosphere, every time Xerxes spoke filled me full of dread and when I first encountered a Nanny, with her warped way of speaking about her "babies"... <shudder>.

Silent Hill 2 scared me half to death as well. At one stage I walked into a room and encountered pyramid head doing something unspeakable, I left the room and refused to go back in for a long time despite my mate urging my on. I found other places to explore and swore I hadn't been to them before.

I think I get too involved with these video game thingies.
I think therefore I'm right!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 am

What about that giant spider in the Dungeons level on LAST NINJA on the c64?!?! I remember playing that late at night back in the day, the music alone creeped me out, when I saw that monster scuttling around I practically sh@t my pants.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Smurph wrote:Doom on the PS1. First time I hooked it up to my stereo, I turned the lights off, cranked up the volume, pooed my pants. Brilliant. The excellent background noises on the PS version really helped with the atmosphere.
I fully agree with this, theres one level where the backgropund sounds consist of babys crying, scared the hell out of me I didnt want to progress into the game!!! Even to this day the sounds of cats shagging in the bushes at night sends shivers up my spine!!! lol......

And of course the obvious, the arms smashing through the windows at the start of Resident Evil 2, every bloody time!!!
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:44 pm

Sherringford Hovis wrote:Some of the scariest moments for me where in System Shock 2. I got so drawn into that game that every message I listened to added to the atmosphere, every time Xerxes spoke filled me full of dread and when I first encountered a Nanny, with her warped way of speaking about her "babies"... <shudder>.

Silent Hill 2 scared me half to death as well. At one stage I walked into a room and encountered pyramid head doing something unspeakable, I left the room and refused to go back in for a long time despite my mate urging my on. I found other places to explore and swore I hadn't been to them before.

I think I get too involved with these video game thingies.
System Shock 2 is one of the games that need to be put on GOG - as is Realms Of The Haunting
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Any bad guys that smashing through windows or walls in the resi evil series & the chainsaw man in resi evil 4.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:03 pm

tekaotaku wrote:
I fully agree with this, theres one level where the backgropund sounds consist of babys crying, scared the hell out of me I didnt want to progress into the game!!! Even to this day the sounds of cats shagging in the bushes at night sends shivers up my spine!!! lol......

I really hate that sound!
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

JD!

Post by JD! » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Playing Resident Evil Code: Veronica late at night with no lights on. My first survival horror game. There are so many things that made me jump I couldn't name just one.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:21 am

It's good to see Project Zero on the posts as I remember picking up number 3 quite cheaply and getting creeped out by the ghost that appears in the bathroom mirror during one of the episode interludes, Also "Black Tiger" the spider boss in RE1 (Gamecube) was particularly frightening. There's a couple of unnerving moments in Castlevania 64 particularly meeting the villager and finding that he has no reflection (classic hammer-horror) and that Chainsaw dude in the hedge-maze when you are rescuing Malus (Or Henry in Curse Of Darkness).

I remember as I kid seeing pictures in SU of a spectrum game called "Soft and Cuddly" Which had quite gruesome imagery and that used to freak me out a bit.