Scariest moments in a videogame?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Stuart@retrogamer

Scariest moments in a videogame?

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 am

Just a bit of fun to run alongside a feature we're working on. We wanna know what have been your scariest moments in a videogame?

C'mon own up, there's no shame in it. Well, not much ;)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:48 am

The first time that dog burst through the window in Resident Evil..
That did make me jump. :oops:

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 am

Resident Evil 2 - Zombie bursts through mirror. That pair of trousers was never the same after that.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 am

Doom 3 just makes me jump a ton, the atmosphere is superb. Games quite dull but that gave me tons of 'jump out moments'.

In Half Life those little critters, bit like a spider who suddenly jump up and scream used to make me jump sometimes !

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 am

Dungeon Master when you have run out of light! Usually a rock monster that I remembered flushing down a pit came back and bit me in the ass.

Also Alone in the Dark, played in the dark, when the spinny ball ghost thing chases you and make a horrible noise. Soundblaster goodness FTW!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:16 am

For me it has to be Silent Hill, the original on the PSone when you are wandering around that school when suddenly the lights go out and that old siren sounds. All you've got is a torch, you turn round and there's one of those little demons...

Clean underwear time...

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:22 am

Project Zero.

A daft thing but I was in a dungeon in Zelda:OoT while polishing off half a bottle of Merlot which had one of those plastic vacuum corks you use to seal opened wine bottles. Midway through looking around in first person view for a spider I could hear rattling somewhere, the cork suddenly shot out with a bang and scared the absolute sh!t out of me for about a second.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 am

Not retro but...
...F.E.A.R certainly made me feel uneasy. Quite suspenseful at times and that girl! Nasty stuff. Would flip in and out at the most unpleasant and unsuspected times.

Kind of looks like that girl from the well in The Ring.

And the voices...damn those voices whispering.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 am

Opa-Opa wrote:The first time that dog burst through the window in Resident Evil..
Beat me to it, still manages to get me even today.
Other than that the Octobrains from Duke Nukem 3D just freak me out, the weird "singing" they do when you shoot them really sends shivers down my spine. Can't play DN3D anymore because of the damn things :oops:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 am

Rescue on Fractalus, when the alien jumps up in front of the cockpit and hammers on the window... a very effective scary moment.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 am

merman wrote:Rescue on Fractalus, when the alien jumps up in front of the cockpit and hammers on the window... a very effective scary moment.
Heh.. actually yes. When I was taking screengrabs for the making of, David had told me that this didn't happen until a later level than the one I was playing on, and of course it did, and I jumped like a big girl. ;)

Maybe he told me that deliberately...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 am

Yeh, the dogs in res evil is the main one - I played Silent Hill 2 in the dark and whilst it never made me jump it did start to freak me out so the light came back on!

But, as sad as it may be, I remember playing Impossible Mission and the first time I heard "Another Visitor....." it made me jump as I wasn't expecting it!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:07 am

Opa-Opa wrote:The first time that dog burst through the window in Resident Evil..
Damn, I was about to say that. I almost fell from my chair when the windows shattered. I played the PC version and I think it was 2 a.m. or something, with the room completely dark and me playing with headphones. I was the only one at home. Perfect atmosphere to scare the censored out of you.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:13 am

Pretty much all of Alien v Predator on the PC. I could only play it for an hour at a time as my nerves were shreded.

Also RE4 has some great moments, my fav being going up the hill towards the church after you have killed the big monster in the lake. As you get near the church some thunder claps kick in as the lightning lights up just enough of the play area for you to make out about three pairs of red eyes. As you get closer you can here the snarls of the dogs waiting for you.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 am

Doom on the PS1. First time I hooked it up to my stereo, I turned the lights off, cranked up the volume, pooed my pants. Brilliant. The excellent background noises on the PS version really helped with the atmosphere.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile