Favourite articles in Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:09 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Not a huge fan of the 2-3 pages of old ads - EG the Outrun one's.
But I guess they keep the page count up!
I was against using them initially but then I realised Live Publishing used to do about ten pages a month on them :)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 am

I quite like seeing 'em as long as they're not overused as with Live ;)

Thought they worked rather well in the Outrun piece.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:53 am

Team Alfie wrote:I just remembered something else I really enjoy whenever it occasionally turns up. The 'making of' old magazines. They've all been great and top of my wish list for another one would be Super Play. I take it the likes of current Edge editor Tony Mott would have nothing to do with such a feature, and I've no idea if Imagine would want to do something about a Future magazine or if Future would allow it, but if it was possible, then there's always Wil to base the whole article around!
A feature on Super Play is very unlikely, for the reasons you mention. Future is very protective of its magazines, both past and present.

And I've been badgering Wil to do some kind of feature on his wonderful artwork, but the guy is just too damn modest to say yes to it!

And another thing - this import bashing is insane, seriously. Full of Eastern Promise is an excellent section of the magazine.

There are hundreds of quality Japanese titles that never made it over here. To assume that just because a game wasn't picked up for release in Europe (traditionally one of the most conservative regions when it comes to video game releases) it is therefore 'unplayable junk' is the kind of thing I'd expect a drunk person to utter after being hit over the head with a piece of wood several times. It's madness, not to mention very narrow-minded.

And if you're trying to say that the Spectrum version of Salamander is in any way comparible to the one on the excellent Salamander Deluxe Pack then you're clearly as mad as a bag of spiders.
mikeb wrote:Guardian Heroes (strangely never made it to the US though)
Sorry Mike me old china but it did, along with terrible boxart:

Hurrah for Western artwork! Ahem.
Last edited by Duddyroar on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:05 am

Woops. Must be thinking of the other one with the rabbit (Keio Flying Squadron 2). Erm...

And yep - that artwork's terrible.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 am

It's majestically bad, isn't it?

Thank God for Western releases of Japanese games though, eh? ;)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Not a huge fan of the 2-3 pages of old ads - EG the Outrun one's.
But I guess they keep the page count up!
I was against using them initially but then I realised Live Publishing used to do about ten pages a month on them :)
Funny thing is, I think they are too small at times!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward