Favourite articles in Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08 am

Marmite = Yay!
FoEP = Booo :(

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:FoEP—the 'Marmite' of Retro Gamer!
Was Marmite released in Japan?
No but it was available on import!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am

Oh, what about Collectors Corner?

I think the concept is sound but mostly the collections are not always that exciting - However, thats not the mags fault, they can only print what they are sent I guess!

At least we haven't had a photo of someones loft hatch with the caption "here's where I keep my sealed games collection which I never even look at" :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree that Collectors corner should have a better mix of type and pictures. I think the balance is still to be found.

I liked Pixel Perfection but don't overuse it. Again, not a lot of text, and therefore doesn't hold my interest for very long.

Faves are the obvious ones, Makings ofs, retroinspection, conversion capers etc.

Also, the letters are dull. It's odd, but every month their the same.

Letter 1: I love Retro Gamer.
Letter 2: There's too much coverage from the 80's/90's (delete where applicable)
Letter 3: I can't run this game, please help?

Does nobody have anything interesting to say?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Put simply:

Back to the 80s
Homebrew coverage
Retroshamers for a bit of a laugh
Desert Island Disks when it occurs :)

any 8-bit coverage at all really :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:54 pm

I just remembered something else I really enjoy whenever it occasionally turns up. The 'making of' old magazines. They've all been great and top of my wish list for another one would be Super Play. I take it the likes of current Edge editor Tony Mott would have nothing to do with such a feature, and I've no idea if Imagine would want to do something about a Future magazine or if Future would allow it, but if it was possible, then there's always Wil to base the whole article around!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Enjoy the whole mag, the buyers guide is still the pointless filler its always been (but we've been there and done that) and the letters are by and large pointless, other than that don't change anything.

I think perhaps you could replace the letters page with a making the mag blog type of page. Essentially just as pointless but nevertheless it would be entertaining to read exactly what trials and tribulations, thoughts and observations funny or not the RG team have had/dealt with getting the mag out that month.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 am

Eastern Promise is a favourite of mine.
Japanese gaming history is MY gaming history, as well as that of thousands of others that have imported since the 90s. I'm still importing top titles like Under Defeat and soon to be released Thunderforce 6.

No suprise people who are mad over the 80s UK micro scene aren't going to 'get it'. No point in pushing the matter further, this thread is about personal taste. Speaking of which, I'd rather read the phonebook than 'back to the 80s'.

The mag is all the better for the excellent recent interviews / articles by Jonti Davies + Eastern Promise, and the exposure both give to Japanese gaming history.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 am

Tellah wrote:The mag is all the better for the excellent recent interviews / articles by Jonti Davies + Eastern Promise, and the exposure both give to Japanese gaming history.
Agreed, I love the general weirdness that comes fom Japan so Eastern Promise is one of my fave parts.

I also especially love the Retroinspections and am fond of most of the regular features, but am not overly keen on Conversion Capers (though it depends on the game) and am not sold on Pixel Perfection yet...

I echo the sentiments about the letters page - it should be reduced to 2 pages at most.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Cheeseburger

Post by Cheeseburger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:06 am

Mr Drury's Desert Island Disks are always a great read and I also like the Retro Revivals a lot - they break up the pace of the magazine nicely.

Also a fan of the "Back To" series. They're a nice way to start the magazine before taking you into the meatier articles. The screenshots and captions are always worth a second look too!

Stuart Campbell's Definitive series are also entertaining and "The Making Of" articles are mostly excellent.

Eastern Promise I can absolutely live without and like several others, the price guide needs a overhaul or making into a quarterly event.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:10 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Kinda surprised no-one's mentioned the making-ofs. They're usually my favourite bits of the mag, followed by Stu's guides, conversion capers and the retroinspections. That said, I really loved the pixel perfect piece last issue.
I really like the 'Making Of' articles. Especially if it's a favourite of mine.

On top of that thumbs up for 'Converstion Capers' and 'Back to the 80's / 90's' articles

On a negative note, I'm not feeling all 'warm and fuzzy' inside when reading the letters and when looking at the bargain hunt pages.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah , I like Stu's 'Definitive' articles

Not a great fan of Japanese titles myself , but I can see why some would be interested , and have no problems with a few pages each month in the mag ; helps to keep it diverse
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm

My favourite articles are:

1. Back To The 80's/90's
2. Retro Forum
3. Retro Shamer
4. Why You Must Play
5. Desert Island Disks
6. The Classic Game
7. Conversion Capers
8. New Games / Downloads Reviews
9. Hombrew Game Reviews
10. Retro News
11. The new Pixels article
12. Eastern Promise (Japanese Games)

Please, Please keep these articles going.

Many Thanks.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Favourite: High Score articles on arcade games

Least favourite: Homebrew (yawn)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 am

Not a huge fan of the 2-3 pages of old ads - EG the Outrun one's.
But I guess they keep the page count up!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward