Favourite articles in Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:22 am

the only bits I dislike are:

1) Reviews of retro-styled games for current consoles. But this is purely cause I don't actually OWN any current consoles.

2) All thos pages at the back with lists of consoles and prices.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:23 am

Another Negative here for Eastern Promise, I'm not interested in unpronounceable, unplayable import junk.
The reason these titles never "made it to our shores" is because no-ones interested.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Another Negative here for Eastern Promise, I'm not interested in unpronounceable, unplayable import junk.
The reason these titles never "made it to our shores" is because no-ones interested.
Finally someone who agrees with me on this.

I never understood all these guys who struggle through hundreds of pages of japanese text in some dodgy RPG just cause they think they are "hardcore"

You're not. you're just a dork.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Another Negative here for Eastern Promise, I'm not interested in unpronounceable, unplayable import junk.
Make that 4
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:11 am

Erm... seeing as the last few of these I've done have included stuff like Salamander Deluxe Pack, Battle Garegga and Twinkle Star Sprites, all hugely popular titles, to say 'no-ones interested" or they're "unplayable" or "unpronouncable" is a little dim...

Have you actually ever played any of them?

I think that to completely ignore 'import' gaming in the mag would be a very narrow-minded attitude given Japanese heritage in classic video-gaming. These games deserve to be remembered.
Last edited by mikeb on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 am

Ah, well. I like Eastern Promise.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 am

mikeb wrote:Twinkle Star Sprites
+1 for that game!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:30 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Forgot about conversion capers - I really like that one. Its always nice when your favoured machine is better than the rest! (Darran - don't bother with Wec Le Mans mate, however Power Drift.....!)
Funnily enough, a certain freelancer (me) has pitched a couple of Power Drift articles to our esteemed overlord a few times, although conversion capers is rather reliant on getting the agreement of Mr. Chris Butler, who's currently proving rather elusive.
If you get hold of Chris Butler first, I'm going to come down there and slap you. :lol:

The Making Of articles (particularly those with a bit more depth and perhaps a tiny smidgen of technical info on how things were done) are the ones that I enjoy the most.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:36 am

mikeb wrote: Erm... seeing as the last few of these I've done have included stuff like Salamander Deluxe Pack, Battle Garegga and Twinkle Star Sprites, all hugely popular titles, to say 'no-ones interested" or they're "unplayable" or "unpronouncable" is a little dim...
Salamander and Twinkle star sprites never made it to our shores then..?

So what was I playing in the arcades in the 90's.?
Whats the feature about, games that did make it to our shores but have some rubbish re-release on a crappy PSP/PS2 compliation you can only get via import or rubbish games that know one cares about and so didn't bother sending over here.
Do you really think any publisher would have passed up the chance of squeezing the PAL gamers out of even more cash if they thought they could.
Even these money hungry morons saw that it wouldn't be worth bothering with, and they will release any old tat if they think theres a few quid in it.

The feature's boring and with so many fantastic games released in the west since the 70's I'm sure we can find something better to fill the pages of RG with...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:49 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Salamander and Twinkle star sprites never made it to our shores then..?

So what was I playing in the arcades in the 90's.?
Home versions with regard to the Salamander 1 & 2 compilation didn't(Salamander Deluxe on PS1/Saturn and the recent PSP package). TSS never got a domestic release - either the AES or the Saturn/Dreamcast conversions.
Opa-Opa wrote:Whats the feature about, games that did make it to our shores but have some rubbish re-release on a crappy PSP/PS2 compliation you can only get via import or rubbish games that know one cares about and so didn't bother sending over here.
Do you really think any publisher would have passed up the chance of squeezing the PAL gamers out of even more cash if they thought they could.
Even these money hungry morons saw that it wouldn't be worth bothering with, and they will release any old tat if they think theres a few quid in it.
Have you ever thought there might be other issues, like licensing and distribution deals, or cost of English translations? And lots of so-called 'niche' Japanese games did get released over here (Parodius, Layer Section (Galactic Attack here), Darius Gaiden, Guardian Heroes (strangely never made it to the US though), Ikaruga (GC), Rez, all those Taito compilations...)

The feature is, to my understanding, based on home console/computer games/game compilations that were not released in the UK. That includes stuff that did make it to the USA like Silhouette Mirage, Thunderforce V...
Opa-Opa wrote:The feature's boring and with so many fantastic games released in the west since the 70's I'm sure we can find something better to fill the pages of RG with...
You are of course entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to say what I think of it though. :P

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:02 am

mikeb wrote: Home versions with regard to the Salamander 1 & 2 compilation didn't(Salamander Deluxe on PS1/Saturn and the recent PSP package). TSS never got a domestic release - either the AES or the Saturn/Dreamcast conversions.
So what..? I have been playing Salamander for years in this country from the arcade versions to conversions on the Spectrum, NES and many other machines.
Opa-Opa wrote: Do you really think any publisher would have passed up the chance of squeezing the PAL gamers out of even more cash if they thought they could.
mikeb wrote: Have you ever thought there might be other issues, like licensing and deistribution deals, or cost of English translations? And lots of so-called niche' Japanese games did get released over here (Parodius, Layer Section (Galactic Attack here), Darius Gaiden, all those Taito compilations...)
So if they got a release over here why are they in a feature about games that "never made it to our shores"..? Which is it, they did come out over here or they didn't..?
Opa-Opa wrote:The feature's boring and with so many fantastic games released in the west since the 70's I'm sure we can find something better to fill the pages of RG with...
mikeb wrote: You are of course entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to say what I think of it though. :P
You can say what you like about my opinion, I'm not going to run off and start crying, but before you do remember that I was just agreeing with at least four other people in this thread and it's not just my opinion ;)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:18 am

Opa-Opa wrote: Have you ever thought there might be other issues, like licensing and deistribution deals, or cost of English translations? And lots of so-called niche' Japanese games did get released over here (Parodius, Layer Section (Galactic Attack here), Darius Gaiden, all those Taito compilations...)

So if they got a release over here why are they in a feature about games that "never made it to our shores"..? Which is it, they did come out over here or they didn't..?
You seem to be missing my point. Those would not be eligible for the feature as they were released here in the UK. I was using them as examples of so-called Japanese 'niche' titles that were deemed worthy of European release, but that doesn't mean to say others that were not released here were not also considered marketable, there could be other factors involved. Everything that has so far been covered in Eastern Promise did not get a domestic release in the UK.

My point would be that not (if only occasionally) covering 'import' titles in the mag would be like Empire never covering foreign language films...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 am

mikeb wrote:Erm... seeing as the last few of these I've done have included stuff like Salamander Deluxe Pack
mikeb wrote: You seem to be missing my point. Everything that has so far been covered in Eastern Promise did not get a domestic release in the UK.
Your right I don't get it, which is maybe why I don't like the feature.
As I have said I have been playing versions of Salamander for years on various consoles, I don't care what "pack" it is released in, even more so if I have to sod about importing it..!
Anyway I have been told I need to try and be nicer to people so even though I don't like the feature I'm sure it is fantastic for those people that do :? (how was that..?)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:00 am

FoEP—the 'Marmite' of Retro Gamer!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 am

CraigGrannell wrote:FoEP—the 'Marmite' of Retro Gamer!
Was Marmite released in Japan?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward