time for a Trainspotter award in RG?`

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

time for a Trainspotter award in RG?`

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:42 pm

Anyone remember YS?
And the 'Trainspotter' section they had in the mag for people pointing out mistakes in the previous issue?

Now we all know there are occasional mistakes in the mag - it would be virtually impossible for there not to be ; and there is always someone on the feedbacl thread to point them out.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a 'Trainspotter' sticky on the forum for people to leave input on the latest issue - then this could be reprinted in the next months' issue. Not only would it help to acknowledge any minor/major mistakes in RG , but do it in a humorous way
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes, why not? But I doubt it would get much space and would be restricted to a handful of comments, I would rather have a 'reinvention' of the Buyers Guide than anything else however.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 am

I don't really like the idea. I don't mind the odd error and when people jump on them it just feels so, I dunno, nasty. Like blooper reel websites. They just feel so smart-alecky. So what if that's a Torpedo Ted sprite instead of a Bullet Bill. So what if the Konami article refers to my beloved card game as Might: the Gathering. I don't want Darren & co to become too bogged down in spotting every tiny error like that; if it was more commonplace, yeah, it'd be a quality control thing, but these are just tiny human errors.

If it's genuine wrong information in an article, like you said, that'll be pointed out on the forum, and if it's huge enough, maybe the magazine could print a correction. I can't think of anything that's been that big. Everything else should stay here on the introweb.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Dunjohn wrote:I don't really like the idea. I don't mind the odd error and when people jump on them it just feels so, I dunno, nasty. Like blooper reel websites. They just feel so smart-alecky. So what if that's a Torpedo Ted sprite instead of a Bullet Bill. So what if the Konami article refers to my beloved card game as Might: the Gathering. I don't want Darren & co to become too bogged down in spotting every tiny error like that; if it was more commonplace, yeah, it'd be a quality control thing, but these are just tiny human errors.

If it's genuine wrong information in an article, like you said, that'll be pointed out on the forum, and if it's huge enough, maybe the magazine could print a correction. I can't think of anything that's been that big. Everything else should stay here on the introweb.
but that was the whole point of the Trainspotter article - to poke a bit of fun at the person spotting the mistake , and acknowledgement that an error had found it's way into the mag
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:30 pm

The logo below (from the mag) gives an idea as to what they thought of entrants to this section...

Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:29 pm

I hate the idea. In the old fanzine style mags that was fine, but in a professional mag that people pay a lot for I don't think it is wise.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:01 pm

I think the opposite. In a fanzine you expect daft errors, but in a pro publication you expect errors to be noted and corrected.

Fair enough typos and other minor errors are of no significance, but if you're attributing the wrong company to a game or describing a play mechanic in completely the wrong way, it should be sorted out in the following issue.

And its easy copy that practially writes itself.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:14 pm

I think it's a great idea. Errors always creep in no matter how much proof-reading goes on, but not everyone will spot them, and for the mag to then print "apology columns" would seem perhaps self-indulgent; whereas if it's the nerdy types taking extreme joy in doing it for them, it redresses the balance somehow, whilst also providing an errata of sorts.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:38 pm

As far as I can remember , YS was the only mag that used this way of dealing with errors. It could be brilliantly funny column - amazing some of the petty things people picked up on , but suprising also the number of obvious mistakes not picked up on by either the writer , editor - or indeed reader - when readingthe preview/review/feature the first time around

And of course people took perverse pleasure in being named in the Trainspotters' section in YS
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:00 pm

There definitely ought to be an error-correcting corner somewhere in the mag (in any mag), and if you're going to do it you might as well make it fun. It enhances knowledge for everyone.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:There definitely ought to be an error-correcting corner somewhere in the mag (in any mag), and if you're going to do it you might as well make it fun. It enhances knowledge for everyone.
Could replace the Bargain Hunt section - might even fill it!! :wink: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:26 am

Think its a great idea, the original Trainspotter award in YS was always fun (and people didnt think 'YS had tons of mistakes'). Hope there can be something similar.

kochane

Post by kochane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Will need to bring my flask of warm lemon drink for this then :D

ToxieDogg

Re: time for a Trainspotter award in RG?`

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:01 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone remember YS?
And the 'Trainspotter' section they had in the mag for people pointing out mistakes in the previous issue?

Now we all know there are occasional mistakes in the mag - it would be virtually impossible for there not to be ; and there is always someone on the feedbacl thread to point them out.
Yes, me ;)
paranoid marvin wrote:Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a 'Trainspotter' sticky on the forum for people to leave input on the latest issue - then this could be reprinted in the next months' issue. Not only would it help to acknowledge any minor/major mistakes in RG , but do it in a humorous way
As I've already stated elsewhere, I did a couple of threads like this a while ago, (I called them 'Retro Gamer Gaffes') and Daren closed them down. He told me why and I see his point.

I'd love to see Trainspotter's back. If anybody's going to get a Trainspotter Award though, I'd damn well better be first in line for it ;)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:37 am

Also The odd Easter Egg could be pointed out where the Art department gets carried away and modifies pics of old games ie Alien 8 ln the Knightlore screen or Retro Gamer on the Express on the Indy article.
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!