Feedback for Issue 24

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:48 pm

David GP wrote:As Stu's experiment indicates, completing some of the levels in Gradius with a single shot is nigh-on impossible
Um, I'm not sure my experiment did indicate that. I got halfway through the game on one credit, and I don't often do that when playing it normally. Some bits, like the end of level 2, are WAY easier without power-ups. I'd like to have a couple more tries at the level 4 boss before concluding it's impossible.
Oh, and having a high-score contest on Gradius without using any power-up but a single speed-up is a great idea. Count me in!
Well, your first target to aim for is 78,300...

David GP

Post by David GP » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:42 am

I did two things last night. No, three:
- I went to bed.
- Before that, I tried Moon Cresta with the single-shot ship. God I hate this game. Even the first aliens, with their unpredictable movement patterns, get on my nerves. Clearly, I may not be the best player to succeed in clocking the game without the help of power ups, but I'll keep trying. Stu: you may have a point here. ;)
- I tried Gradius too. Without any power-up but a single speed-up. And I have learnt something: difficulty not only increases the more powerful your ship gets, it ALSO increases *when you don't die*. Even with zero power-up. Case in point: end of second level, no life lost. The boss shoots quicker lasers than at the end of the first stage. I die. Battle restarts: the boss now shoots incredibly slow lasers.
It appears the ranking system in Gradius is far more complex than I thought.

Oh, and unlike Stu, I did not really *cruise* to level 4: I found enemies to be quite aggressive, rapidly filling the screen with all kinds of projectiles as I made my way through them with a pathetically weak Vic Viper. I guess I need some serious training here. I died in the middle of stage 4. I'll try some more later.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:53 am

Well, I've just beaten the whole of Gradius without powerups. I did use some continues, because it was just an experiment to see if it was possible, but it is, and no bits of it held me up for more than three or four minutes, with the whole run-through taking under half an hour. I agree, it does seem to also bump up the difficulty when you don't die, so it's not going to be too easy to go all the way through it with a single credit (that might be my mission for today), but I'm certain it's doable, because beating each level individually is really just about learning what the technique is. For example, on level 3 it's staying at the right of the screen and taking out the Maoi heads with a single shot before they start blowing laser bubbles at you and making things awkward, and on the penultimate level it's hiding at the top or bottom of the screen (rather than going through the middle bit) and waiting out the boss's pellet storm. In general, the key is to know where the enemies are going to be and kill them quickly before they start filling the screen with bullets.

However, I'll bet you any money you like that I can go right through Gradius on one credit and no power-ups before you can beat Moon Cresta (defined as reaching 30,000 points, where it gives you a free game - I reckon six "laps" through the stages) without docking...

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:55 am

Yesterday I played Gradius, Nemesis 2, Nemesis 3, Scramble, Super Cobra, Parodius and Salamander (all on MSX) plus Gradius Advance. Had a great time and it was all because the RG article inspired me to go back and have a look.

Next stop: Gradius V.

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 am

another cool 8) issue of retro gamer, nice to see my post in "from the forum" section, oliver frey artwork, rex on p32, another world feature, fantastic the trap door double page spread is ultra cool 8) 8)
Press play on tape

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:24 pm

forestville wrote:another cool 8) issue of retro gamer, nice to see my post in "from the forum" section, oliver frey artwork, rex on p32, another world feature, fantastic the trap door double page spread is ultra cool 8) 8)
Glad you liked the DPS. I've got something special lined up for the next issue which should please those who want more screenshots...

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:34 pm

This issue covers some of my favourite (and underappreciated) games ever. I rate Gradius V as highly as you guys do (I even bought the Japanese soundtrack CD!) so it's nice to see that I'm not the only person who appreciates it.

Does this mean that a Salamander / Parodius feature is forthcoming?!

I can't wait to read the Creatures and Gremlin features.

So far so good...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:58 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
Does this mean that a Salamander / Parodius feature is forthcoming?!
No reason why not, in fact someone pitched me something similar the other day...

AndyH

Re:

Post by AndyH » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote: The game DEFINITELY uses "ranking" - enemies fire less than usual, and the bosses take fewer hits - and even bits I thought would prove tricky, like shooting through the walls in level 2 or dealing with the Moai heads in level 3, were a breeze. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. We could have a high-score contest!
I'd definately agree with this. There's a lot of clever stuff in the game that builds up its appeal for so many.

It is only natural that you think if you get all the multiples and weapon upgrades that it will be easier to get through the mayhem...but when you step back and look at the game when you have a low powered ship, the mayhem is not so chaotic :)

I learnt a long time ago that just one multiple, missile and maybe the double or laser makes the game a little easier to blast through :twisted:

I've not got my issue 24 yet, and I'm dying to read the article on Gradius!
Andy H

HEWCO (Vic 20 games)
https://hewco.uk -- https://hewco64.itch.io

ovine by design
http://www.ovine.net

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Just read a bit more.

Loved the piece on Gradius (which seems to be hogging the whole of thi thread). A really fun writing style that I think certainly warrents some more articles from Mr Campbell.
I had only ever played the 8 bit Nemesis so it prompted me to fire up Mame, only to find I didn't have any of the Gradius's (or is it Gradia/Gradium/Gradiai?). Had to make to with Parodius.

Trapdoor was great to see and made a fantastic 2 page spread. Please don't get rid of these (at least one 2 page screenshot per issue).
How about getting an interview with Don Priestly? Unless he is dead obviously :? .

Enjoyed the Gameboy colour piece and am tempted to look out for a cheap one.

Another World was an excellent read. For some reason I was looking forward to it (not sure why), but was really interesting.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:34 pm

SirClive wrote:Just read a bit more.

Trapdoor was great to see and made a fantastic 2 page spread. Please don't get rid of these (at least one 2 page screenshot per issue).
How about getting an interview with Don Priestly? Unless he is dead obviously :? .
Lol, he's not dead, but he does tend to shy aware from the lime light. I have his details from an interview I did in gamesTM, so I'll maybe look into it.

hobgoblin

Post by hobgoblin » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:07 am

Got the mag yesterday and its a really great issue. Even better than the last. I thought the last issue was getting a bit formulaic so was glad to see this issue is a real mixed bag. Good stuff.

I'm still a fan of the two page screens and this month was particulary good - Apb, Trap Door, P47. Excellent choices!

Gremlin profile was very detailed and informative and told me a lot about the company I didn't know. First rate (I thought the softography and timeline were a bit unecessary, but I realise it was all about detail and some people will want that, so don't really mind)

Another World was also excellent. I particularly loved the layout as it really captured the essence of the game. Has Flashback been covered? I get a feeling it has, but can't quite decide. Be good to see if it hasn't.

Was also nicely surprised to see Rex (loved that game and forgot about it completely!) The beat em up bouts was also a nice change of pace. Funny and ligth hearted (this mag can get too serious at times). Well done on those.

There's been a lot of talk about the Gradius article, which I have to say, I just couldn't follow. I've never played Gradius (or really heard of it) and although it looks well worth looking into, this 'definitive' article told me nothing about it. I still wouldn't know what Gradius was if I saw it, and surely thats someting these articles should be about? I found most of the games reviews just plain confusing (to the point where I wondered if they were supposed to be confusiong in keeping with the game it was talking about, but since it doesn't actually tell you anything about the game, how can you tell?). Maybe its just one for the hardcore Gradius fans, which is fine. I do feel like I've missed out on a lot after seeing the article, but I don't know whether to bother finding out. I'm guessing it was a follow up to the Rtype article, which was fantastic (I keep re-reading it!), but the writer seems to have lost direction here (assuming it was the same writer as neither article says who wrote them - they read the same though).

All in all though, I was feeling a bit down about RG last month as it seemed the same as the previous issues, but this mnth has really turned around and kept me glued to the pages. Top stuff, and well done to all involved!

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:08 am

Good issue so far... yet to read it all, but the Trip Hawkins feature certainly got my attention...

Shame about the wait, by the way. I'd consider subscribing, but that's caused more problems than enough in the past :cry:

I'll read some more and comment on it later...
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:28 pm

The best issue yet!!

Thank God it was so good! It arrived the day I left for my holiday in Devon and it actually improved the holiday! It was that good.
I could hide in the loo there reading it and let the missus deal with the kids! She must think I have IBS or something as I often spend hours in the bathroom reading Retro Gamer and playing my GP2X. Or is that too much information?

I really hope you can keep this standard up because unless Zzap64 makes a comeback with all the original staff and the Commodore 64 comes back replacing all those crappy modern consoles then this is as good as it gets and I have nothing else to look forward to except death.

Sorry if that puts pressure on you all.... :P
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words :oops: