Feedback for Issue 24

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 am

By the time YS got to the best years, the only "staff" would have basically been the editor. Everyone else would have been in or out of house freelance.

Pretty much like RG in a way. Darran is about the only "staff", just a lot of regular freelancers.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:11 am

Dudley wrote:By the time YS got to the best years, the only "staff" would have basically been the editor. Everyone else would have been in or out of house freelance.

Pretty much like RG in a way. Darran is about the only "staff", just a lot of regular freelancers.
Well YS had a staff art editor and an editor right to the end. That happened when Linda Barker left. Previously IIRC there had been an editor, a staff writer and an art editor.

But YS used a huge amount of in house freelance talent. There was a time you could pick up a copy of Amiga Power and a fair proportion of that months writing talent had also worked on YS that month as well! If you added in the ex-YS people, the Amiga Power line-up looked like a Your Sinclair takeover!

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:33 am

Is this the same Linda Barker who works in advertising now, selling sofas on the telly around bank holidays?

Darth Nuno

Post by Darth Nuno » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am

Hi there,

I got by mail the load 24 this morning :D

The content looks extra, specially : "the making of ...Dragon's Lair".

The article is good, but I'm so sad to see that my website is not mentioned at all :-( ...even in tiny characters :(

My website is often updates, and I present a lot of content about Dragon's Lair fans, or DL Extented univers ( custom made sculture, draws, project games, visit of the Jason Finn's DL Museum,... )

I put so many of my free time on it since many years, and I'm just sad to see it's ignored :(

I'm living in Belgium, and put so much effort to present it in english...

Sorry for that negative note, but I am little bit discouraged... I send you many mail regarding the website ( features Gaming Room construction, roadtrip through Europe for bringing back arcade game, ... ) ... and never a reply :-( )

So, for those who want to see Dragon's Lair news, have a look here : www.dragonslairfans.com

I have been subscribed with your magazine for more one year, and it's getting better month after month. Keep your good work :-)

:wink:

PS : sorry for my poor english :wink:
Image Image

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:27 am

seanmcmanus wrote:Is this the same Linda Barker who works in advertising now, selling sofas on the telly around bank holidays?
Of course not!!!!!!!!!

Goodness me, two people with the same name! DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:33 am

So far another good issue, but I was very disappointed to find that my magazine didn't come with the moon on the stick as Darran promised recently in the forum. Maybe the postie swiped mine. Did anyone get one? :wink:
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:42 am

Has anyone noticed if this issue has sneaked into the shops early?

I still haven't got my comp copy. :(

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:54 am

Okay some comments - after a quick read last night

Don't like the cover - while the theme is fine, the actual art work of monty mole is very poor (thing on a spring and bounder were fine though). Can we not get some more Oliver Frey artwork please!

Back to eighties (or whatever it's called) - In the news it just mentions English FA cup - I thought this was a British mag not just English! This section should be expanded to 4 pages though. It seems the look back at the old mags is condensed into a tiny amount of space.

Gremlin article - really enjoyed this

Another World - Again really enjoyed this - although no mention of Fade to Black - was this game not a follow up? By the way, Future wars is an excellent adventure and deserves it's own look back

I see you're still sticking with the full page blown up screenshots - lose them! Put in lots of smaller shots rather than one big screen shot

Bargain Hunt is still a waste of space

Good to see the old gp32 get some coverage
c64 > spectrum 48k

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 am

What's with the backlash against Wil? We should consider ourselves lucky to have hand painted covers in this day and age.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 am

The cover was bloody good.

Much better than last months!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:59 am

Ash wrote:What's with the backlash against Wil?
I've no idea. Given the chance, I'd love to see an original cover by Wil every other month (the other month, of course, would house a new Frey original!)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Cloud Atlas

Re:

Post by Cloud Atlas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:07 am

Ash wrote:What's with the backlash against Wil? We should consider ourselves lucky to have hand painted covers in this day and age.
There's no backlash from me, I grew up with Super Play and loved his covers, but even I'd have to say that this is one of the least visually impresive he's done. I guess it's cos we're used to seeing him do mostly Nintendo- and/or manga-based images. I don't think there's much he could have done with the Gremlin characters and keep his own style at the same time, and I'd be more than happy to see his artwork making regular appearances.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:13 am

Cloud Atlas wrote:
Ash wrote:What's with the backlash against Wil? We should consider ourselves lucky to have hand painted covers in this day and age.
There's no backlash from me, I grew up with Super Play and loved his covers, but even I'd have to say that this is one of the least visually impresive he's done. I guess it's cos we're used to seeing him do mostly Nintendo- and/or manga-based images. I don't think there's much he could have done with the Gremlin characters and keep his own style at the same time, and I'd be more than happy to see his artwork making regular appearances.
Perhaps I'm not as critical as everyone else but I love the new artwork. I'm not a particularly huge fan of Super Play or Gremlin but it looks good and is much more eye catching than the latest CGI render or a photo of a console.

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 am

How is it a backlash - I've just expressed my honest opinion that I thought the painting of monty was very poor (I did say I liked the bounder and thing on a spring).

Plus I had no idea who painted it anyway.

It hardly compares to an average cover from Oliver Frey does it.

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all agreed on everything :wink:
c64 > spectrum 48k

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 am

kaiserpc wrote:It hardly compares to an average cover from Oliver Frey does it.
I guess that's pretty subjective. I love Oli's stuff, but Wil's is great, too, and very different to Frey's approach. Then again, remember when Hewlett used to do covers for EMAP? I doubt there's much chance of him doing something for RG, now he's swanning around doing the Gorrilaz thing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com