For all those wanting a covermount...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

For all those wanting a covermount...

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:54 pm

My latest subscription copy of Total PC Gaming arrived yesterday. You know , one of the few mags that doesnt come with free covermount or extras?

Well now it does. Enclosed in one of those pladticky covers which seem to be all the rage these days , it comes with a DVD and a little handbook.

However the price has been increased to £5.49 , and the retro section at the back - previously one of the highlights of the mag - reduced to 4 pages ; and that spent on one feature which - to add insult to injury - is a copy of the exact same article which appeared in RG!

needless to say I will be cancelling my subscription when it is due

As a member of the ip group , I can only hope that RG does not follow suit. I'm sure that whilst Darran is editor , this is highly unlikely to happen
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Re: For all those wanting a covermount...

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Mm. The TPCG thing was something of a shock, and the "book" (such that it is) is a bit strange. Also, I got dumped from the mag for reasons I've yet to fully understand (my last features for the mag were in issue 9—Settlers, Zork and Their Finest Hour), but then maybe redux as of 11 is reprint-only. (To be honest, I've no idea.)

Maybe you should send your comments to the TPCG editor, rather than posting them here, though, where he's pretty unlikely to see them.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:00 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Mm. The TPCG thing was something of a shock, and the "book" (such that it is) is a bit strange. Also, I got dumped from the mag for reasons I've yet to fully understand (my last features for the mag were in issue 9—Settlers, Zork and Their Finest Hour), but then maybe redux as of 11 is reprint-only. (To be honest, I've no idea.)

Maybe you should send your comments to the TPCG editor, rather than posting them here, though, where he's pretty unlikely to see them.
I doubt my comments would make a difference - this is obviously a decision which hasnt been taken lightly

It is more to warn readers of RG of the perils of having a mag with discs or other add-ons
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Lets not forget that when RG did come with a coverdisc it acted as a lever point for the postie, so you'd invariably end up with a broken spine on your mag. I was so pleased to discover my mags in one piece again once they stopped the discs.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Well that's TPCG dead to me then.

Especially as they claim "FREE GIFTS" that they are, quite demonstratively charging £1.50 for which is, at best, utterly despicable practice.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: the retro section at the back - previously one of the highlights of the mag - reduced to 4 pages ; and that spent on one feature which - to add insult to injury - is a copy of the exact same article which appeared in RG!
Well we all knew that was going to happen, just as it does with the GAMEStm retro section unfortunatly...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: the retro section at the back - previously one of the highlights of the mag - reduced to 4 pages ; and that spent on one feature which - to add insult to injury - is a copy of the exact same article which appeared in RG!
Well we all knew that was going to happen
We did? I was writing most of redux until issue 9, and I had no inkling this was on the cards until my commissions rather suddenly stopped.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:33 pm

what's going to happen to GamesTM retro section?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Well, I am an active forum member over at TPCG..........

clicky link to the 14page thread.......................

http://www.totalpcgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593

They are taking a massive amount of flack over there!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:28 am

CraigGrannell wrote: We did? I was writing most of redux until issue 9, and I had no inkling this was on the cards until my commissions rather suddenly stopped.
When the mag was launched and there was a thread (read: ADVERT!) on this board regarding how great it was going to be I'm sure more than a couple of people said that the retro section was just going to end up being republished articles from GAMEStm or Retro Gamer..

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:51 am

markopoloman wrote:Well, I am an active forum member over at TPCG..........

clicky link to the 14page thread.......................

http://www.totalpcgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593

They are taking a massive amount of flack over there!
thanks , just had a browse. Although the main issue appears to be with the price rise , not the decrease in content ; perhaps people havent read/got to the back pages yet?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 am

Sadly, this has happened because when they raised N-Rev from £2.99 to £4.99 it clearly worked and they haven't lost many readers.

Unless this also happens to TPCG expect them to be forcing a crappy disk and a rise to £6.49 on Darran any time now.

And I would expect 360 will finally be merged into X360 by then too.

I wonder if I'll be buying any magazines in a year, I'm already down to 360 and RG.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:41 am

I wouldn't have a huge problem if RG went up in price a bit - Im still getting it a lot cheaper through subs anyway - Im sure those who buy it off the shelf every month may feel different though
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:07 am

Bub&Bob wrote: Im still getting it a lot cheaper through subs anyway
Oh, that just reminded me, I have to post in my subs form this month, I've got it filled in and everything...
Just like the last three forms I forgot about :(

I didn't mind the old Live Cover Disks, then again I didn't look through everything on all of them, and there are some that have never been near my PC.

It all depends what the content is I suppose, a price hike o RG may put off a lot of the casual readers though, then againe, a CD/DVD may bring more in !?!?!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am

Bub&Bob wrote:I wouldn't have a huge problem if RG went up in price a bit - Im still getting it a lot cheaper through subs anyway - Im sure those who buy it off the shelf every month may feel different though
Not to mention us foreign subs!! The price is borderline already for us, I had to convince myself over the course of almost a year to finally subscribe, not to mention convincing my girlfriend.