article on modded retro consoles?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rolan

article on modded retro consoles?

Post by rolan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Sorry if this has been suggested or covered already but i was just thinking an article on modded consoles would be interesting. I have a modded snes and would never go back to a slow regular pal machine now. I am interested in buying a handful of other modded machines but dont know enough some machines to risk setting down notes for something like a modded pc engine that might not work in the uk.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:47 pm

I'd be interested (I had a self modded JAP Megadrive back in the day that without a Scart cable displayed in black and white :-)

Not sure though if it would be considered too technical?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:10 pm

I'd like to see this too, however I think it would get blocked on legal grounds...

norm7446

Post by norm7446 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I think a modding of consoles feature would be a very good idea as without a modded console in Britan how else could you play Imported gems from the Far East, that only play on NSTC consloes..

As for actually doing the modding as long as you can use a soldering iorn it wont be to much of a problem. I havent modded any of my Sega Consoles but I have fixed the sound in my two Game Gears + sorted the fuseable resistor on the joystick port pcb and put a new backup battery in my Dreamcast.
Rise from your Grave...

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:29 am

Personally I am not very fond of modded consoles, as I prefer to collect and preserve pristine items. On the other hand, I am aware that, like for the PC environment, there has always been a large number of people wiling to do a number of things to their consoles, from applying stickers to completely take them inside out and fit the board in an armchair.
An article giving an overview of modification, both 'opportunistic' (i.e. to play otherwise region locked games) and purely 'aesthetic' might be interesting.
Do 'unofficial' peripherals fall in the subject too? A remember a friend of mine having bought a floppy drive in Taiwan that could be connected to the SuperNintendo and load backed-up games, in spite of any region lock.

Cheers

JD!

Post by JD! » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:00 am

I agree this would be a very interesting article. I've seen so many modded consoled posted on forums and so on it's be great to have an article detialing what they do and the pros and cons of modding.