Why Retro Gamer will fail

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Why Retro Gamer will fail

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:09 pm

So is Retro Gamer failing? This person certainly seems to think so...
I don't want to say "I told you so" after the event so i'll list the reasons why its going wrong at RG:

Too much new compilation coverage - For the ad revenue?

It's had so much of this issue after issue.

Answers from RG - No there's not.

-

Will not have readers reviewing games.

Answer from RG - It takes too long to edit them.

Insulting to many.

-

It costs £5 for a magazine.

Fine if its wall to wall quality

Answer from RG - We got rid of the coverdisk so its now cheap/er *(its still £5 for paper).

_

Its Lazy

Month after month we have to have numerous double page spreads of one screenshot.

Do they think we are blind or daft?

Answer from RG - Darran is busy and some people like them (Yea usually people who contribute to the mag!)

The forum - Enough said - Ive seen the posts from many good people here that venture over and I can see why this website is still a home for most of you.

Some of the best answers from the RG...

"You can't please everyone"
"Tomb Raider is Retro"
"We'll reduce the double page spread from 7 to 5 or 6"
"More content than the old RG" Yea same stuff re-written

Out of respect for Darran I didn't want to post this over there but felt I had to say the obvious.

Please feel free to share your comments - If you agree or not
So to sum up - People who like Retro Games aren't going to be interested in PS2/Xbox/PC/PSP compilations that featured the games they loved playing when they were kids.

Readers should review games

Retro Gamer is obviously not worth £5

You all hate the dps Retro Revivals

I have no idea what a Retro Game is as I covered Tomb Raider, a game that came out on a dead console (Sega Saturn)

The only reason I've plucked this post from another forum (and I won't say where it was from, or who posted it) is because the only way RG will ever continue to improve is if you tell me what you don't like about it.

No point having a rant, somewhere where I won't see it, how's that going to help ;)

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:21 pm

hmmmm,
Too much new compilation coverage - For the ad revenue?
Ad revenue keeps the cost of the magazine down, and more importantly helps it break even. Its a nieche title and needs all the advertising it can get. Look at any current gen games mag and check how many adverts. Even with large circulations a magazine needs advertising revenue.
Will not have readers reviewing games.
Im not being funny, but there are not that many people who can write cohearently, let alone writing about the subject matter in an interesting way, so this does not surprise me to be honest.
It costs £5 for a magazine.
Subs are now £2.50 an issue. There is no arguement here.
Its Lazy

Month after month we have to have numerous double page spreads of one screenshot.
This probably needs to be looked at, a bit of a waste if you ask me.

Unfortunately your argument seems to be, in the whole, unfounded I am afraid. It is a common belief amongst the majority of readers that the new style RG is tons better than the old one, including the ads, screenshot spread et al.

Failing? I cant see it myself. Looks as if it is getting stronger each issue. Besides if you don't like it don't read it, like me :) (although at £2.50 an issue I may be tempted back!)

Regards
Simon

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:34 am

There's nothing wrong with reviewing compilations-after all ,it's the only way most of us can legally play these games.And I'd rather read the review in a magazine like RG which knows what it's talking about

We don't need readers reviews-that's what you're paid to do!

I don't want to see the price come down,as it will have a detrimental effect on the quality and content of the mag.and as Simon pointed out,it's only £2.50 if you subscribe

I quite like the double screens-sometimes pictures can say more than a thousand words-and at the end of the day,we've bought a magazine,not a novel!

I would like to see a return to showing old adverts (like in the old RG) rather than the retro price listings

And I wouldn't say the new RG was a lot better than the old RG,I would say that it's just as good (after all as someone once said
change is not a good thing!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:03 am

1: I need to know if the compilations are any good before I buy them, nearly every other magazine just reviews them as "old games lumped together on a disc, why would you bother" where as RG reviewers really love the games and can tell us if they are true to the original or hashed up cash cows. Keep them as they are.

2: Readers reviews. I am in the firm belief that readers are readers and reviewers are writers. I am sure that if someone sent in a piece of writing so fantastic everyone in the RG office was amazed then you would print it. Untill then lets not.

3: Every magazine I buy costs £5.00..? It seems to be around the average price. Wheres the problem..?

4: The Double page Screen shot could do with looking at, I like the "mini" reviews that accompany them but perhaps more than one image of the game could be used..?

5: What is wrong with the forum, there are some fun and informative posts and some healthy arguments. Not everyone can agree on everything but that just mirrors life. Can't really see a problem.

And Tomb Raider is Retro ;)

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:07 am

[quote="Opa-Opa"]

5: What is wrong with the forum, there are some fun and informative posts and some healthy arguments. Not everyone can agree on everything but that just mirrors life. Can't really see a problem.

quote]

It would be a pretty boring if all we did was agree with each other
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 am

I agree :lol:

rossi46

Re:

Post by rossi46 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:19 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
It would be a pretty boring if all we did was agree with each other
Yes, but it's equally tedious to be shot down in flames by 'the clique' every time you make a post. I think that's what he was referring to.
Thoughts and prayers.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:21 am

I'll do a Darren......

Here is my reply from the 'other' forum (just being lazy cus I'm off to work).

Sorry (the nameless one), I disagree with you.

The old RG was a great mag - but as far as I am concerned, the new RG is a far better read and far more professional.

Price wise - cant argue with the subs price - and if you dont sub, then the 5 quid you pay is hardly massive in comparison to other mags out there.

In agreement with you on a couple of areas though - the stupid double page screenshots are really shat! The write up is just about the right length - but I personally would like a series of decent screenshots - maybe 8 to 10 of them.

AND

Reader reviews - RG really should do this and bring its fan base closer to home. Rossi is right, we have the same spell checkers as the rest of the team. And, if it was headlined as READER REVIEWS and smallprinted saying these are not by the RG team - why would it be so bad? It would be a right larf reading some reviews - but the majority would be average joe's view. I think it would work.

You are wrong to dig RG's grave so early in its comeback - give it a chance.

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:48 am

Opa-Opa wrote:1: I need to know if the compilations are any good before I buy them, nearly every other magazine just reviews them as "old games lumped together on a disc, why would you bother" where as RG reviewers really love the games and can tell us if they are true to the original or hashed up cash cows. Keep them as they are.
Agreed. The amount of magazine space devoted to the second Taito pack was spot on, and it was great that some of the stand-out titles in the pack received their own separate reviews as well. I thought this worked brilliantly, and would hope this style of compilation reviewing continues.
Opa-Opa wrote: 2: Readers reviews. I am in the firm belief that readers are readers and reviewers are writers. I am sure that if someone sent in a piece of writing so fantastic everyone in the RG office was amazed then you would print it. Untill then lets not.
Indeed! I run a weekly email newsletter for the band Madness, and people often submit material for it. With the amount of time I have to spend editing some contributions I should have written the article in the first place!

Most readers do not make good writers!
Opa-Opa wrote: 3: Every magazine I buy costs £5.00..? It seems to be around the average price. Wheres the problem..?
£5.00 per issue is a cracking price, and with a sub it's even less.
Opa-Opa wrote: 4: The Double page Screen shot could do with looking at, I like the "mini" reviews that accompany them but perhaps more than one image of the game could be used..?
I do like these double-page jobbies, but agree that perhaps a few more screenshots would be nice.
Opa-Opa wrote: 5: What is wrong with the forum, there are some fun and informative posts and some healthy arguments. Not everyone can agree on everything but that just mirrors life. Can't really see a problem.
I think the general atmosphere in this place is spot-on. Most people are friendly. I've certainly spent many a happy hour on here.
Opa-Opa wrote: And Tomb Raider is Retro ;)
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but as it was originally released in 1996 on the Sega Saturn it gets my vote a retro.

Long may the mag and forum continue!

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:37 am

I've said it before but I don't want to read readers reviews - If I want that, then I'll buy another magazine. The two-page screenshots are a nice break between the articles. I would rather read compilation reviews than reviews of new games.

Why didn't the person involved put these complaints in the 'Feedback' section rather than on another forum? - perhaps becuase he knew that some of the people on that forum are 'anti-rg'?

Kai

My two cents...

Post by Kai » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 am

unknownbitterman wrote: Too much new compilation coverage
Not too much IMO. And interesting.
unknownbitterman wrote: Will not have readers reviewing games.
Answer from RG - It takes too long to edit them.
Insulting to many.
Insulting??? I don't want readers reviewing games.
unknownbitterman wrote:It costs £5 for a magazine.
I would pay even more for such a high quality mag like RETRO GAMER!
unknownbitterman wrote: Month after month we have to have numerous double page spreads of one screenshot.
And I love those.
But that's just my opinion :wink:

sparky

Post by sparky » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 am

Same old crap, just a different day. It seems to me that these sorts of threads dominate over the real interest of retro.

No wonder I'm losing interest in visiting forums and thank god I have a life away from this tittle tattle bitching.

It's not idle chit chat, it's muckspreading. The forums and self important idiots need to get back on track before people get fed up with it once and for all because it's spiralling out of control.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:09 am

So to sum up - People who like Retro Games aren't going to be interested in PS2/Xbox/PC/PSP compilations that featured the games they loved playing when they were kids.
I don't buy the compilations, but I don't mind reading about them as long as they don't take up too much space.
Readers should review games
I don't really see why people want this. Anyone can review a game on this forum if they want to. Why do we want to use up valuable space in the mag with user reviews? I'm very happy for them to use the space for a "making of" or an interview with a programmer/artist/musician instead.
Retro Gamer is obviously not worth £5

See other replies. It's not £5 if you subscribe.
You all hate the dps Retro Revivals
When I first saw one, I thought "they must be short of things to put in the mag". They are okay, but do seem like a waste of a page. Maybe you could put the pic in landscape and only use one page, or have two pics - one at the top and one at the bottom of one page.
I have no idea what a Retro Game is as I covered Tomb Raider, a game that came out on a dead console (Sega Saturn)
To me, retro is the C64 and Spectrum years (and earlier). I can accept that the Amiga is retro, but it doesn't feel "very" retro to me. Having said that, I don't mind seeing more modern games in RG, as long as there aren't too many.
The only reason I've plucked this post from another forum (and I won't say where it was from, or who posted it) is because the only way RG will ever continue to improve is if you tell me what you don't like about it.
It's good to see you posting it here. It shows that you are willing to listen and have the right attitude about feedback.

I've only read the first of the new ones so far (I've been catching up since issue 5!), but I saw that lots of making of features were in the latest. I look forward to reading them, as I like those types of articles the best.

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:21 am

roberthazelby wrote:Indeed! I run a weekly email newsletter for the band Madness, and people often submit material for it. With the amount of time I have to spend editing some contributions I should have written the article in the first place!

Most readers do not make good writers!
Absolutely, i mean i fancy myself as a bit of a writer but i also know that, if unchecked, my "style" naffs off on all sorts of tangents; looking at some of the reader "reviews" i've seen on some 8-bit sites lately, the writing is atrocious and in a lot of cases factually inaccurate too. If i'm paying a fiver, i'd rather it were someone who can string a sentence together and check their facts as far as is reasonably possible who was doing the writing.
LeeT wrote:I would rather read compilation reviews than reviews of new games.
If we're talking new games as in new C64, Spectrum or whichever format titles then i have to disagree strongly because, if i'm totally honest, that's my primary reason for buying the mag in the first place. Granted, i have a vested interest as a coder myself, but at the same time the act of developing on these machines is, in some part, my form of nostalgia since i spent my formative years trying to make my first million from a game (said with a shovel-load of irony). And i'd be surprised if the majority of RG's readers hadn't at least dabbled with writing their own games as well...

Weblaus

Re: My two cents...

Post by Weblaus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:36 am

Kai wrote:
unknownbitterman wrote:It costs £5 for a magazine.
I would pay even more for such a high quality mag like RETRO GAMER!
Which we, as non-UK-readers, actually do, so there's the proof.

Actually, I'm a little bit miffed about the new subscription offers, as they came about a month after I got in with the higher rates.. ah well.