Retro Gamer Now X-rated

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Atari 800

Re:

Post by Atari 800 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

sparky wrote:
Atari 800 wrote:tell me, why in that locked part of your brain called 'common sense', is it offensive to see females advertising a sex product but not the obvious "pisses me right of" bad language?
Errm, you got me there and you're quite right. It's good that the little part of your brain pointed that out.
thats the only part i need to use when replying to some people. :wink:

Atari 800

Re:

Post by Atari 800 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Jonathon Saunders wrote:I've just read an interesting article which states that a small amount of the profits of calls to chatlines goes to advertisers. I wonder if that then means magazines i.e. retrogamer gets that for putting those ads in. If so no wonder they are reluctant to get rid of the ads from the magazines. A small profit on 35p a min which millions of people would phone could be worthwhile. In otherwords its all greed.
you think millions read RG :roll:

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 pm

Dudley wrote:I wouldn't argue black is white. You however would probably argue grey should be banned in case your kids saw it.
Why on earth would I do that.!
Just because I think there is no place in a magazine such as RG for phone sex ad's you think I would find the most boring colour on the planet offensive?
How the hell does your argumentative brain come up with such ridiculous statements..? Is there someone who looks after you.? Can you make sure they are giving you the right pills or get them to up the dosage because I don't think they are working....

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Guys! I don't want to lock this thread as there is a serious discussion hidden somewhere in here but if you all continue to use this forum to insult eachother then I will have to put an end to it either by closing the thread or deleting your posts.

It's ok to disagree with eachother but please try to do it an appropriate manner. You've been warned.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:42 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Dudley wrote:I wouldn't argue black is white. You however would probably argue grey should be banned in case your kids saw it.
Just because I think there is no place in a magazine such as RG for phone sex ad's you think I would find the most boring colour on the planet offensive?
How the hell does your argumentative brain come up with such ridiculous statements..? Is there someone who looks after you.? Can you make sure they are giving you the right pills or get them to up the dosage because I don't think they are working....
You can't come up with "You'd argue black is white" then call me out for ridiculous statements.

And you certainly can't then go on an unprovoked rant at me.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:45 pm

What Ash said. Seriously.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

rtrgrl78

Re: Has retro gone X-rated

Post by rtrgrl78 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:09 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad this subject has been raised in this chat room, I must admit it bothered a little when I first bought the magazines, as it seemed to me that it may only be targeting Blokes, presumably who would read this magazine more than Women like myself. But I have noticed particularly in this issue, there has been a decrease to these ads, I'm not justying them in any way, but to did seem to saying in the past that this magazine is aimed mostly at blokes, because if you pick up a any womens' magazines in a newsagent, there are these ads to try and get women to ring up blokes. What I think it really boils down to is probably the magazine gets paid good for these in return.

bounty bob

Re:

Post by bounty bob » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm

Dudley wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
You can't come up with "You'd argue black is white" then call me out for ridiculous statements.

And you certainly can't then go on an unprovoked rant at me.
...Fight, playground 3.30, should be good!!!
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

C4

Post by C4 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:33 pm

Fight! Fight! Fight!

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:00 pm

C4 wrote:Fight! Fight! Fight!
FACT:

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:37 pm

No...
  • I'm not female.
    I don't have kids.
    I'm not "politically correct".
Yes...
  • I am a Retro Gamer.
    I think these ads are sleazy and make RG look bad.
    I understand that the editorial staff have little control over them.
So - what can I do?

Perhaps if someone from "RG advertising" could tell us how many more subs they need to sell... so they don't need the dodgy ads..
Then we could all help them have a big "subs drive" - and get rid of the slezy ads once and for all.

Yeah - I know... Can't be revealed.. "commercial confidence".. etc etc.
(Well, at least I'm trying to find a solution....)

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:34 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
psj3809 wrote:
In Retro Fusion theres an advert saying 'bullshit'

I was quite suprised by this advert,I would have thought it wouldn't get by Advertising standards
Has anyone seen it in other mags?
Yeah must admit i was surprised, wasnt offended at all by it and i havent heard of anyone complaining about this. Most kids know that word for sure, again not saying thats right or wrong but i do think a fair few people overreact to stuff like this.

Honestly think back to when you were a kid at school, knowing some 'rude words' and trying to watch some horror films you shouldnt have been allowed to etc. The kids who were brought up so different from the other kids, eg one kid at our school always had bright polished shoes, had a briefcase instead of a trendy bag like 99.9% of the rest of the kids, never swore, never got into fights and sorry to say never had any friends. Okay he might be a good little churchgoer but i think inside he was sad and lonely like anything as his parents 'thought' they were doing the right thing by bringing him up perfectly but in the end that isolated him and he was lonely as anything and no doubt a virgin till the day he dies !

The kids who did occasionally swear, have fights did well in school, had lots of friends, girlfriends and had good jobs in the end.

A few swear words or slight rude pictures arent gonna corrupt our minors.

Again i'm not keen on the adverts being in there but i'm not shocked and i'm not thinking 'oh my god young kids will see these'. Lets use sense here, a small minority arent happy with the adverts, the overwhelming masses dont care or arent bothered by it.
Last edited by psj3809 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:35 am

psj3809 wrote:A few swear words or slight rude pictures arent gonna corrupt our minors.
Considering how much the kids round here swear, I think they know the words already ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:41 am

I'm embarassed now when i hear some kid swearing and i dont understand the ghetto slang txt talk swearing hes saying !

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:51 am

Er hang on. Have some posts been removed?

What the hell's going on?