Retro Survival

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Retro Survival

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Just flicked through my RG Coverdisks and found the Retro Survival (Issue 19 that wasn't) CD that I picked up a while back. It is a really good read, but I can't stand reading it on the PC.

Has anyone (connected to its production, obviously) thought of doing a cheap print of it like the trial issue of Retro Fusion?

I would pay again for a printed copy. I am sure others would want the final issue from the Live era in their binder.
Image

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Ash » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:49 pm

It should be fairly simple to print them out from the disc.

We spoke about doing Retro Survival as a paper mag in the early days but decided that a disc would be the best solution for everyone. You never know though, if we do an Issue 2 then it may just find itself on paper.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:26 pm

Don't torment me please! ;)

(yes, I was the "volunteer" who put the CD together in terms of design, layout and graphics)

As Ash said, we went with a CD choice early on because of two main reasons:

1) Easier to do, cheaper to produce
2) The proviso of being able to load it with images, video and audio
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Turrican
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:44 pm

Post by Turrican » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:55 pm

It would be interesting, certainly, if Retro Survival did manage a paper version.

The only snag is you've got the 2 bigger competitors to battle against, those being Retro Gamer of course and Retro Fusion with it breaking out of trial issue-dom into actual mag, but I would certainly be interested to see how a paper issue of Survival would work, as it's obviously not as regular as "the Gamer"

If it was maybe a yearly almanac style then perhaps it could work :D
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Wed May 17, 2006 7:41 am

Wouldn’t it be fairly easy for the new RG to buy the rights to the Retro Survival disk and release a collectors copy one-off print of this in paper magazine format, much the same as the recently released RG Anthology magazines?

I also have the disk but would definitely buy a paper version of this.
Even if it’s only available for pre-order or in a limited print run I’m sure this would sell!

User avatar
Dimrill
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 am
Location: Lichfield, Staffs
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dimrill » Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 am

GarryG wrote:I also have the disk but would definitely buy a paper version of this.
Same here. Difficult to take a CD-ROM to the loo to read. Laptops slide off my knees.

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Post by Duddyroar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:28 pm

Is there any need for an issue 2? Now that RG is back from the dead?
Image

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6391
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:08 pm

duddyroar wrote:Is there any need for an issue 2? Now that RG is back from the dead?
We haven't ruled out a second issue yet...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

vic26
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Post by vic26 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:30 am

I was always disappointed with RS (sorry) - It never included all the goss over the end of live as promised, some of the content seemed warmed over from previous RG'ers and didn't some of the articles appear in the first new retro gamer ? (Al Lowe springs to mind)

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6391
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Post by merman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:10 am

The Leisure Suit Larry article was reprinted by Retro Gamer, yes.

Retro Survival couldn't tell the whole "behind the scenes" story because of the administration of Live and the return of Retro Gamer with a new publisher.

And as for "warmed over" - without Retro Survival, no-one would have seen all those articles (e.g. the Vectrex hardware piece, or Jon S's superb Goemon retrospective). They should have been in the "lost issue 19" or were completed especially for the CD.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:17 am

vic26 wrote:I was always disappointed with RS (sorry)
Sorry to hear you say that, we did the best we could given the timeframe :P
vic26 wrote:It never included all the goss over the end of live as promised
Legal reasons sadly, maybe in ten years time it'll come out.
vic26 wrote:some of the content seemed warmed over from previous RG'ers
Not sure what you mean by this, but we deliberately kept some of the normal RG columns for the publication. It was all new articles though.
vic26 wrote:and didn't some of the articles appear in the first new retro gamer ? (Al Lowe springs to mind)
Because Darran needed some content for the new RG at very, very short notice and had no real other choices. Remember we did start the project whilst Live was still smouldering away and RG only was announced to coming back about a day before I sent the master CD to the duplicators.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

ArcadeAction
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Post by ArcadeAction » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:32 am

Yesterday I read about the Retro Survival CD and became very interested, but when I emailed the address mentioned on their website (I believe 'orders-at-retrosurvival.co.uk') to ask if the CD was still available, the e-mail bounced back with the message that that e-mail adress does not exist :(

Does anyone know if the CD is still available? I am located in Holland.

Thanks,
Vincent
Bunnies very useful scientific facts:
Fact #3: Bunnies don't milk cows. But they can dance!

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26700
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:28 am

ArcadeAction wrote:Yesterday I read about the Retro Survival CD and became very interested, but when I emailed the address mentioned on their website (I believe 'orders-at-retrosurvival.co.uk') to ask if the CD was still available, the e-mail bounced back with the message that that e-mail adress does not exist :(

Does anyone know if the CD is still available? I am located in Holland.

Thanks,
Vincent
PM Merman, he's posted just a couple above your post in this thread. He was the Retro Survival Editor and I suspect he's still got some around...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ArcadeAction
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Post by ArcadeAction » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks, I just did :)
Bunnies very useful scientific facts:
Fact #3: Bunnies don't milk cows. But they can dance!

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8687
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:07 pm

To be honest if you can get it, it's worth having merely as a curio.

It's like "Retro Gamer - The wilderness years"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest