Official Issue 54 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

McBoosh

Post by McBoosh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:59 pm

yethboth wrote: ...The collectors corner is much better with more photos and less text.

:)
Whilst i generally agree with you, i would actually prefer a bit more text on the collectors corner, just to flesh out who the collector is, exactly why they collect, what they most enjoy collecting etc... Just my own opinion mind :wink:

mmmonkey

Post by mmmonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:51 pm

I can't remember the last time I bought Retro Gamer, but this issue jumped off the shelf at me and I love it.

Really enjoyed the Outrun article, the MVS article and Q*bert - for some reason I've always dismissed Q*bert when I've seen a screenshot? I've never played it but now I want to track it down and try it out.

Just went out and bought Retro collection vol2 today also :)

Cheers
Pete

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 am

ok, i've enjoyed most of the recent issues of retrogamer, but this months i felt lacked something.

i was looking forward to the outrun piece, konami is one of my fave software houses. the intellivision i have no experience of or little interest in and the article didn't change my mind as there just wasn't enough information about the object. i usually find the hardware peices interesting no matter what the hardware in question is.

in fact this is probably the problem i'm having with the issue, there doesn't seem to be enough, or enough of the type of information i expected from past issues, on the subjects in question. all the articles felt too light, concentrating on - for want of a better phrase - 'gossipy' style content and anecdotes/conjecture rather than reasoning or facts.

it usually takes me a while to read through and digest (usually a re-read), but this month i won't need to do that because its all a bit flimsy.

the best arcade games of all time was odd/comedic in some senses. undoutably outrun 2 is a great game, but is nowhere near being the greatest arcade game. i can't see how it would be in the top 25 unless the list is supposed to show the greatest arcade style games of all time. i have only ever seen one coin op of outrun 2, and i know from the limited run of sega rally 3 that theres probably reletively few outrun arcade machines in exsistence especially compared to something like SF2, so how can a game that hardly anybody would of played in an arcade be no1? just from ubiquity and popularity daytona should of been there or there abouts, but outrun? i don't see it.

the bionic granny thing i found just pointless as i've never played the game (it might be relevant to someone who has).

the neo geo hardware inspection was ok but not enough detail about the hardware....and so on. i'll shut up now.

hang on, no i won't.....also i'm not looking forward to more homebrew coverage in the mag but i'll reserve judgement until i see what form it takes. i hope you'll cover homebrew for something other than PC or 8bit.

sorry to be so down on you lot!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

HEAVYface wrote:
Goodness, you don't have to apologise.

You pay good money and are perfectly entitled to your opinion and at least you've given us something constructive to chew upon.

You only have to read the official threads each month to realise that the mag doesn't appeal to everyone, all the time, each and every month.

Hopefully next month's will be more to your liking.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:
Hopefully next month's will be more to your liking.
i'm sure it will, like i said i liked most of the recent issues.

BTW getting an interview with yu suzuki was impressive!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 am

HEAVYface wrote: the neo geo hardware inspection was ok but not enough detail about the hardware....and so on. i'll shut up now.
Thanks for the feedback. I did try and include a number of hardware tech stats in the piece, but made a conscious decision not to overdo them as with the previous arcade inspection articles I've done a few people complained that they were overly technical. I guess it's a question of finding a balance between solid in depth information about the hardware and the lighter, more readable info, and the mini-reviews of the games so as to appeal to both 'hardcore' gamers like yourself and also more casual readers who may be approaching the subject for the first time. If anyone has any suggestions let me know and I'll take them into account next time.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 am

The reviews section is much more polished looking and much nicer to read with a good selection of new games being reviewed each issue. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 pm

mikeb wrote:
HEAVYface wrote: the neo geo hardware inspection was ok but not enough detail about the hardware....and so on. i'll shut up now.
Thanks for the feedback. I did try and include a number of hardware tech stats in the piece, but made a conscious decision not to overdo them as with the previous arcade inspection articles I've done a few people complained that they were overly technical. I guess it's a question of finding a balance between solid in depth information about the hardware and the lighter, more readable info, and the mini-reviews of the games so as to appeal to both 'hardcore' gamers like yourself and also more casual readers who may be approaching the subject for the first time. If anyone has any suggestions let me know and I'll take them into account next time.
yep it must be difficult. i own an AES system and actually the specs mentioned in the article are printed on the box (i'm not saying you did the wrong thing in putting them in the article).

i guess what i was looking for is some sort of explanation of any sort of custom chips that let the neo pump out the pictures/colours/380 sprites, especially as from what i can see the neo uses the same basic components (but faster mhz) as the megadrive. its just when anybody writes about the amiga they always write about fat agnus or copper and blitter chips(?), or in relation to the snes, mode 7 or the sony sound chip. the neo must have some serious custom chippage going on, especially for the sprite scaling capabilities. also i don't know what bank switching is - i'll look it up when i finish typing this :)

actually i'm not that hardcore a gamer i just find the tech stuff quite interesting and wouldn't mind someone explaining it all, this is something the early Edge magazines did quite well (until they started buying in to sonys emotion engine nonsense).

i realise i am in a minority on this, but when a term such as 'bank switching' is used i wouldn't mind knowing what it means in a box out or something.

anyway, cheers and good luck with damned if you do/dont nature of the job!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 am

Goddamnit i want the next issue RIGHT NOW :)

This issue was so good it's got me agitated waiting for the next... just waiting for the days to roll by.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am

HEAVYface wrote:i realise i am in a minority on this, but when a term such as 'bank switching' is used i wouldn't mind knowing what it means in a box out or something.
Bank switching Is a technique used when the processor can't simultaneously address all of the ROM required for a larger game; the specifics vary from scheme to scheme but one example for the Atari 2600 is that the first 2K of the ROM is fixed and the second 2K acts as a "window", looking at blocks of 2K (called banks) from the rest of the ROM with the program selecting which bank it wants to see.

The problem with putting something like that in the magazine is that i'd be expecting more people to complain about it than if it were left out...

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Lots of arcade content this month - well done! Outrun, Q*Bert, Top 25 etc. The No.1 was a very strange choice and goodness knows what the SF games were doing in there - they shouldn't have been anywhere near the top 25 but never mind. Loved the Intellivision feature as well. All it needed for a perfect issue was some decent Speccy / Vic 20 coverage!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 am

Is it a possibility if we could have a proper preview section of all the new 'Retro feel' games that are due for release on the next gen systems i.e. a two page preview per game, as well as having the 'Things To Look Forward To Diary' as a roundup summary please?

Also, I know I keep asking this, but is there any chance in having a Reader's Desert Disk section as well please?

Thanks.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 pm

yethboth wrote:a two page preview per game
With the modern making-ofs annoying some readers, I can't see large previews happening. However, smaller previews are included in the news when relevant.
Also, I know I keep asking this, but is there any chance in having a Reader's Desert Disk section as well please?
I'd hate to see this as a feature. However, as a boxout within the letters page, it could actually work nicely (perhaps with a smaller selection of games).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

avant

Post by avant » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:25 am

loved the outrun feature - would have been nice to see a photo of Yu Suzuki within the article.

the intelivision article was interesting, but the style of writing seemed a bit out of place compared with the usual house style. a little over the top in terms of hyperbole. I would have liked to see a bit more detail on the controllers - how exactly did they work, why were they good?

overal loved the issue, nice balance of features, great work as always!

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 am

so.... probably only a couple more days till the new RG...

woohoo.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com