Official Issue 54 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:20 am

kelp7 wrote:so.... probably only a couple more days till the new RG...

woohoo.
Indeed, it came in to the office today and looks great :)

luth714

Post by luth714 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Well, before we all move on to the next issue I'll apologise and say that the Out Run articles criticism of the Speccy version is probably fair. I'm guessing I had my rose tinted glasses on when I wrote it. Just played it on my DS and it is shocking. The music isn't too bad and at least you do get the road splits...but traffic jerks all over the place and from one frame update to the next its hard to know what the hell is going on.

Still think technically its quite interesting, but when compared to the Spectrum conversion of Enduro Racer it is a dog (which, okay, rose tinted again, haven't played in a long time, but I do remember Enduro Racer as being playable, fun and pretty swish looking)

Looking forward to the next issue!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 pm

luth714 wrote:Well, before we all move on to the next issue I'll apologise and say that the Out Run articles criticism of the Speccy version is probably fair. I'm guessing I had my rose tinted glasses on when I wrote it. Just played it on my DS and it is shocking. The music isn't too bad......
Funny, im normally the first to jump at the chance of some Spectrum bashing - To say the music isn't too bad on a Spectrum game must mean that the game is utter, utter censored.

However, I think OutRun is ok on the ZX. It pisses on the CPC version (which im still convinced is nothing more than a few pre-rednered stactic screens, which change every 10 seconds, its that slow!!!) and if it was as quick as the C64 version (which, music aside, is all it has going for it) it would have been a triumph!

There, I said it - gonna go and wash my fingers out with soap now :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:12 am

I was gutted when the Amstrad version was released :(

Skidding sounds like a dying seagull, while it actually looks like you're going backwards in the tunnel sections. :shock:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 am

We obviously have to take into consideration the limitations of the machines.

Ok , the Speccy version may be slow , but the graphics themselves are excellent , and the overall game experience as good as it was possible to get for that particular game.

the Amstrad and C64 versions WERE pretty dire , however all 3 machines had far superior racers - Chase HQ on the Speccy , Burning Rubber on the Amstrad and Buggy Boy on the C64 all showed how good racing games COULD be
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 am

Im still not convinced that C64 Outrun was dire, not saying is anything more than OK though.

As I said, its quick, sounds pretty good. Ok, as a conversion of the arcade game its not that close but I would take speed and a basic feel of the original over slow and jerky. If the car sprite wasn't so fat and odd looking it might have been seen in a slightly different light.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Im still not convinced that C64 Outrun was dire, not saying is anything more than OK though.

As I said, its quick, sounds pretty good. Ok, as a conversion of the arcade game its not that close but I would take speed and a basic feel of the original over slow and jerky. If the car sprite wasn't so fat and odd looking it might have been seen in a slightly different light.
It's more disappointing than outright terrible... the worst bit is not having the proper junctions.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:11 pm

I thought Zzap!'s review was pretty spot-on (as was Gary Penn's in CU)—they said that it wasn't that the game was outright awful (because it wasn't), just that it fell short in all aspects. The graphics were rough, the colours were garish, the game was far too easy, and it lacked the most important element of the arcade game.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

rolan

Post by rolan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:39 pm

finally tracked down a copy and have to say it was one of my favorites so far. The outrun feature was beyond superb (can't believe you actually managed to get Yu Suzuki) and I liked pretty much everything else especially cannon fodder.... the only problem is now i feel like whizzing away more money on more old games i didnt know existed... on a sidenote the cover was so good I actually would proudly slap it on a t-shirt and wear it round the place... awesome issue all round.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:46 pm

I'd have put Bombjack in the top fifteen of greatest ever arcade machines, other than that great issue as always.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 pm

1500graham wrote:I'd have put Bombjack in the top fifteen of greatest ever arcade machines, other than that great issue as always.
I think bombjack was one of those rare games were the home formats were substantially more popular than the arcade original. Although the 8-bit conversions were best-sellers , the arcade machine from which it was converted was never that popular - well not in the arcades which I frequented back in the day anyway

Same thing happened with Rainbow Islands and one or two others
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
1500graham wrote:I'd have put Bombjack in the top fifteen of greatest ever arcade machines, other than that great issue as always.
I think bombjack was one of those rare games were the home formats were substantially more popular than the arcade original. Although the 8-bit conversions were best-sellers , the arcade machine from which it was converted was never that popular - well not in the arcades which I frequented back in the day anyway

Same thing happened with Rainbow Islands and one or two others
Yeah mate you're probably right on that, especially the C64 version which many people now consider to be superior to the arcade version! :wink:
I, on the other hand think that it's purely a matter of opinion and enjoyed both versions on their own merits.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Sorry for the late arrival. Issue 55 arrived this morning in my mailbox, but I still want to make a point on issue 54.
I liked very much the issue, and I share most of the positive criticism that has been moved so far.

Anyway, I was quite disappointed by the Intellivision piece. I found it well under the usual standard. There's a very active community around the Intellivision throughout the globe, with plenty of information and people to contact.
Instead I felt last RG's hardware piece was almost rushed away, only making a quick summary of Intallivisioin existence with some added smart remarks.
The article lacks passion and fails in focussing the interest on what actually made Intellivision (and any game system) great: the games! Even if a few titles are mentioned and addressed as 'light years ahead of the competition', there's not a clear picture of where those games came from, who planned the strategy in developing and deploying them and how it was followed. Even if that must have had an influence on the whole market, it is not clear at all.
Why did the Intellivision had such a success, both in the US and overseas? How did Mattel care for the customers? It's noteworthy that games were often released in each country with proper localisation, not simply 'international editions'.
For example, why not mentioning the superior sport games of the 'sports network' series? Why not to cover the incredible support from Imagic and other third parties, each with an exclusive range of games never seen on other platforms, in some more detail?
In the text, both Intellivoice and the other peripherals seem to suddendly appear out of nowhere, but then there's not a single photo of them.

Finally, another insight that the article was somewhat hurried: at the end of the first paragraph, 6 lines are wasted mentioning pointlessly some Videopac G7000 curiosity. Why? It's an Intellivision feature (and already a short one) - let's speak of the Philips machine in its own article.

I am sorry to sound rude, but, being very fond of the 8-bit era, I was really expecting that feature on Intellivision .

All the best

Chinnico

NorthWay

Re: Official Issue 54 feedback

Post by NorthWay » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Front: Good idea, suboptimal execution. I seem to very often prefer things zoomed out a little more.
Intellivision: Interesting system. What 64-bit technology btw? I have the PS2 compilation - too bad the gfx are sucky and the games bad.
Cannon Fodder: Nice.
Q*bert: Goodie.

Bub&Bob

Re: Official Issue 54 feedback

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:12 am

NorthWay wrote:Front: Good idea, suboptimal execution. I seem to very often prefer things zoomed out a little more.
Intellivision: Interesting system. What 64-bit technology btw? I have the PS2 compilation - too bad the gfx are sucky and the games bad.
Cannon Fodder: Nice.
Q*bert: Goodie.
Am looking forward to your comments about issue 1......
Not quite sure I can see the point in giving feedback about a mag which is 7-8 months old??