Official Issue 54 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
TheShend
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:09 am
Location: Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Official Issue 54 feedback

Post by TheShend » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:54 pm

kelp7 wrote:The Making of Q*bert
Discover how an orange blob with a penchant for swearing and isometric levels hit the big time.
Image

^_^

Another mention for 3rd Strike again! oh Darren, you do spoil me :wub:

Nice and bright issue and so far really enjoying it, just saw the new retrobate thing in the News and signed up to censored that bloody game further. :D

Will you be covering either the Evolution or Super Battle Opera Tournaments that both finished in the past week or so? The winning 3rd Strike team at SBO had a player with his hand in a cast! I've heard he only had the use of 3 fingers!! Kuroda the famous Q player also was part of the team and was using Akuma/Gouki 8)

Hammy
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:38 am

Post by Hammy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 am

Great Mag this month.
Loved the detail on Outrun keep up the good work.
Hammy

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Post by hydr0x » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 am

One of the best recent issues for me with a nice range of topics. Still got to read the Neo Geo Arcade Inspection and the Intellivison Retroinspection though.

What intrigued me though were the "Six to Miss" in the Developer Lookback. There have to be much worse games from Konami than a few of those. The The one that surprised me most was Tiny Toon Adventures on the Mega Drive. Now, I must admit I've only played the quite different SNES version but that was an awesome game. The Mega Drive version got rave reviews too and I'm sure I remember a reviewer stating it's better than the SNES release. So what's up with that!?

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am

[sarcasm]
I liked the feature on Runescape, I've been asking for something like this for ages, only it should have been much longer, more detailed and included other things...

Oooops, sory, that was in Games TM ;)
[/sarcasm]



It's another good issue, didn't look like the best arcade games matched up to wat people put in on the forum to me though :lol:

User avatar
Raketbosse
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Raketbosse » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello everyone!

I just finished reading the latest issue and it was good as always, but a few things bugged me in the Intellivision article apart from the already mentioned controller. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Custer's Revenge were made for the Atari 2600 exclusively and never showed up elsewhere. And calling Custer's Revenge, which is one of the most infamous games ever made, a "saucy XXX romp" were a bit too much... :wink:

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Post by hydr0x » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Raketbosse wrote:Hello everyone!

I just finished reading the latest issue and it was good as always, but a few things bugged me in the Intellivision article apart from the already mentioned controller. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Custer's Revenge were made for the Atari 2600 exclusively and never showed up elsewhere. And calling Custer's Revenge, which is one of the most infamous games ever made, a "saucy XXX romp" were a bit too much... :wink:
yep, I just read the feature and was seriously questioning my video game knowledge when reading that bit

Steve Halfpenny
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:06 pm

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Probably already mentioned but I dunno what version of Amiga OutRun RG played... Still a fascinating interview, possibly the best ever.

Covering OutRun and Salamander (even if just briefly) in one issue automatically gets the thumbs up from me.

chrisgoodhead
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:35 am

Post by chrisgoodhead » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:47 pm

An excellent issue, thanks.

I recently got a GP32 off e-bay (recommended by Retro Gamer quite a few issues ago), so I've been playing the Megadrive version of Outrun which is excellent in my opinion. Also I've been using MAME to play Donkey Kong, which I was very familiar with anyway, being a favourite of mine. Q*Bert is something I had played in the past, probably a Spectrum version I would think, but the arcade original is fantastic!

Also, maybe I'm a masochist but I spent a while tracking down a version of that Granny game mentioned in Retro Shamer. And you are right. It is absolutely terrible. But I'm sure I remember worse games. What was that one that was deliberately bad that was released for the Spectrum. It had a yellow (I think) dog in it. Also, I remember Warlock of Firetop Mountain for the Spectrum as being especially disappointing since I was a fan of the choose your own adventure books. The game was just a stick man opening doors, although you could get a very cheap laugh from the manner in which he wapped his sword out, if I remember rightly...

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Probably already mentioned but I dunno what version of Amiga OutRun RG played...
Same version but the author of the article doing much harder drugs than the guy who coded the Amiga version :lol: :lol:
chrisgoodhead wrote:But I'm sure I remember worse games. What was that one that was deliberately bad that was released for the Spectrum.
All of them?
:wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6487
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Post by merman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:09 pm

chrisgoodhead wrote:An excellent issue, thanks.

I recently got a GP32 off e-bay (recommended by Retro Gamer quite a few issues ago), so I've been playing the Megadrive version of Outrun which is excellent in my opinion. Also I've been using MAME to play Donkey Kong, which I was very familiar with anyway, being a favourite of mine. Q*Bert is something I had played in the past, probably a Spectrum version I would think, but the arcade original is fantastic!

Also, maybe I'm a masochist but I spent a while tracking down a version of that Granny game mentioned in Retro Shamer. And you are right. It is absolutely terrible. But I'm sure I remember worse games. What was that one that was deliberately bad that was released for the Spectrum. It had a yellow (I think) dog in it. Also, I remember Warlock of Firetop Mountain for the Spectrum as being especially disappointing since I was a fan of the choose your own adventure books. The game was just a stick man opening doors, although you could get a very cheap laugh from the manner in which he wapped his sword out, if I remember rightly...
Think you mean "Don't Buy This" by Firebird - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... loadpics=3
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

JimMiller
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Post by JimMiller » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 pm

I posted this on another forum and thought I should post it here too.

It seems to me that Retro Gamer has been getting better and better over the past 5 months or so. I've bought every issue from No 1 onwards but was starting to lose a bit of interest in it about 7-8 months ago. That was slightly worrying as many 8-bit and 16-bit do interest me but I was feeling a bit jaded with it all. It was no doubt down to my own personal tastes, but there just didn't seem to be any articles that were grabbing me any more. It was probably the lack of much import coverage, although I appreciated the reasons why and had no intention of stopping buying the mag. Lately however there has been a ton of stuff in each mag that I have wanted to read. The balance seems to be much better from my point of view, and I'm even getting excited about a new issue coming out again because I can't wait to see what is in it. Highlights for me this month were the MVS feature, Salamander was nice to see, the arcade features were good and Ruff n Tumble is a favourite of mine so I was happy to see some coverage there. In fact, because I'm so happy about getting to read articles on things that I'm currently interested in, I'm more prepared to read the other articles I may not have paid much attention to afterwards. That might not make much sense, but I'm basically saying that the balance being good makes me want to read it from cover to cover. I know one of the aims of the new(er) look Retro Gamer is to interest people in playing games they haven't seen before. I like that as I'm not really into retro games just for the nostalgia, I'm looking to read about games I missed and know nothing about. I do actually go out and buy the games and play them if an article catches my interest. In my opinion Retro Gamer is a fantastic mag, I'd go so far as to say it's the best gaming related mag that exists today . I'm certainly not reading other mags from cover to cover like this one. It's great that we don't have to put up with half a mag of boring previews that are going to be reviewed properly the following month anyway. I think people should remember when complaining about too much 8-bit coverage or whatever, that at least we are getting a magazine full of proper well written and researched content rather than filler. Awesome stuff, keep it up.

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 am

Thanks, Jim. I'm sure I speak for the other Retro Gamer contributors and the In-house staff when I say it's always great to get feedback like that. Also, you seem to 'get' what Darran's trying to do, which is always a good thing!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mickey T
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Post by Mickey T » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:22 am

hydr0x wrote:One of the best recent issues for me with a nice range of topics. Still got to read the Neo Geo Arcade Inspection and the Intellivison Retroinspection though.

What intrigued me though were the "Six to Miss" in the Developer Lookback. There have to be much worse games from Konami than a few of those. The The one that surprised me most was Tiny Toon Adventures on the Mega Drive. Now, I must admit I've only played the quite different SNES version but that was an awesome game. The Mega Drive version got rave reviews too and I'm sure I remember a reviewer stating it's better than the SNES release. So what's up with that!?
The fact that Tiny Toons cost £40 for just over an hours entertainment, seriously, most gamers finished on their first sitting, even on the harder levels. Coming at a time when many gamers were complaining about the simplicity of some Genesis games it was made more noticeable.

The argument at the time was that the game was made for kids (the same argument Dinsey used for World of Illusion), but as the Tiny Toon audience was late teens and early twenties, it didnt really hold up.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am

yeah but isn't Six to Miss meant to tell us that the game is not worth purchasing?! It probably doesn't cost you more than 2-3 quid today so your argument becomes somewhat obsolete, doesn't it?

Mickey T
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Post by Mickey T » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:23 am

hydr0x wrote:yeah but isn't Six to Miss meant to tell us that the game is not worth purchasing?! It probably doesn't cost you more than 2-3 quid today so your argument becomes somewhat obsolete, doesn't it?
Its not an argument its why it is there ;) 6 to miss is really a nod to when the developer dropped its standards for whatever reason, the games are rarely benefiting the developer in sales, and it is not designed to be a review to aid virtual purchases. Like reviews, it comes down to personal preferences.

Other games offer much more value then and now. Six to miss is about the games in their life time context. Some games are poor but reserve a high price with collectors now, so are worth buying regardless, they would still feature in the miss section depite being of great value to anyone with a specialist interest in them.
Is Tiny Toons worthy of your time? probably not, thats why its there. kind of muddies the waters I know. It is a bit like the six of the best arguments, people seem to miss the "Of" in the title.
Why not try it and see? :)
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests