Official Issue 54 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kelp7

Official Issue 54 feedback

Post by kelp7 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:27 am

The Making of...
OutRun
It's easily one of the best known arcade racers of all time, but what makes it so special? Creator Yu Suzuki has all the answers

Retroinspection
Intellivision
Discover how Mattel's excellent Intellivision nearly beat Atari at its own game

Retro Shamer
Bionic Granny
This is quite possibly the poorest game you will ever, ever play. You have been well and truly warned.

Developer Lookback
Konami - Part 2
The final part of our Konami retrospective looks back at how the company's past has helped shape its future.

The Greatest arcade games of all time
With so many arcade games available it was virtually impossible to choose all of our favourites. That didn't stop us from giving it a good go though...

the Making of...
Cannon Fodder
Jon Hare takes time out of his busy schedule to discuss the creation of one of Sensible Software's most popular games.

The Making of Q*bert
Discover how an orange blob with a panchant for swearing and isometric levels hit the big time.

Arcade Inspection
Neo-Geo MVS
It's one of the oldest running arcade boards of all time and launched SNK into the big leagues. Meet the MVS.

The Making of...
New International Track & Field
Pat Phelan of Sumo Digital explains how the company resurrected Konami's classic for a brand new audience.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 am

Tis is a nice Outrun theme cover, if this doesn't pull in extra new readers by a front cover, I don't know what will.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:25 am

cheeky_muffin wrote:Tis is a nice Outrun theme cover, if this doesn't pull in extra new readers by a front cover, I don't know what will.
Quite! And it's fully of lovely 8-bit goodness this month by the looks of things, which is perfect for me being an 8-bit retrogamer myself :) Loving the look of the homebrew section too and liking what i read about something more to look forward to sometime in the next few issues on that topic
MZ-80A Secrets

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:33 am

Post a pic! My local shop stacks magazines on these really tight display shelves with about two inches of the cover visible, and Retro Gamer's almost impossible to pick out among all the plastic-wrapped games mags with the attention-grabbing top flaps. Knowing what it looks like in advance saves me like five minutes on average.

...Five minutes really is a long time when you're staring at a shelf looking for something.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 am

Looks like a great issue, one of the best covers yet. Great top 25 Arcade games -sadly no mention of Star Force :D . Great Outrun feature.

Best of all had one of my comments from the forum printed. Yay!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:57 am

Just had a quick flick through - and read the RetroFusion write-up of course :D

Will pop the cover up in a mo - but one thing to say....................

Number 1 in the top 25 arcade games :shock: I won't spoil it for you, but :o :shock: I hate that game :roll:

Next stop - the Neo-Geo 6 page article :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:07 am

I like this one :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 am

One of the best issues to date. So far, I really liked the Neo Geo MVS piece, and Kim's Q*bert making-of was an excellent read. I was also very happy indeed with what the designer did with my Cannon Fodder feature.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:53 am

Call me a weirdo if you like, but I'm actually more interested in reading about Q*Bert and Cannon Fodder than Outrun - having said that all the Making Ofs look good this month. Love the layout for Q*Bert (this is exactly how I want arcade game pieces to look - give me big nostalgia-inducing pics of cabinets, flyers and cheesy merchandise!) and Cannon Fodder (nice use of that famous font, poppy and the barbed wire!).
Last edited by mikeb on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:58 am

cheeky_muffin wrote:Tis is a nice Outrun theme cover, if this doesn't pull in extra new readers by a front cover, I don't know what will.
Mine dropped through the box this morning, too!
kelp7 wrote:Er.... just dropped through the letterbox... Bloody nice cover :) another great retro themed cover there.
I was very impressed with the Outrun cover, and to make it even better, I was really impressed with the Cannon Fodder piece. Excellent!
CraigGrannell wrote:One of the best issues to date. So far, I really liked the Neo Geo MVS piece, and Kim's Q*bert making-of was an excellent read. I was also very happy indeed with what the designer did with my Cannon Fodder feature.
Not read the Q*bert piece yet - that's next on the agenda! :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:45 am

Mmmmmmm, Cannon Fodder.."drools"

Excellent article!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:52 am

Got my copy from Mr Postie this morning as well, just in time for when I go on holiday next week! :)

That Outrun cover is bloomin' marvelous. If I remember correctly, this is the same artwork that was used on the packaging of U.S. Gold's home computer conversions, albeit tampered with slightly (the number plate for example).

Just had a quick flick through and from what I've seen so far it is another great issue. Was quite surprised with the top 25 arcade games though! I would have thought that Street Fighter 2 would have been placed a little higher, and that Outrun would have been in there but instead there was Outrun 2 SP (not that there's anything wrong with Outrun 2 SP though, as it's just as class). Won't read it all at the moment as I'm saving it for next week!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:54 am

pottyboy wrote:Was quite surprised with the top 25 arcade games though! I would have thought that Street Fighter 2 would have been placed a little higher .....
I was very disappointed to see SF2 so low, really, SF2 should be in the top 10 (in my opinion the number 1, but I can understand people putting it slightly lower)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 am

Interesting to see the Retrogamer Website given an article of its own. Thank god it did! I actually rarely visit it and in the main only come on here, to the forum. Now I'll be checking out the website much more, creating a profile and doing some game reviews! Brilliant to see the community becoming more of a community!! :)
MZ-80A Secrets

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:38 am

Yep, that's a fantastic cover alright.
mikeb wrote:Call me a weirdo if you like, but I'm actually more interested in reading about Q*Bert and Cannon Fodder than Outrun
Ditto. Never was a fan of Outrun, in a respected-it-but-didn't-play-it sorta way. Cannon Fodder, though, excellent.
It's called a MEGADRIVE