Retro Shamer Candidate

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Oh not again!

Retro Shamer Candidate

Post by Oh not again! » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Dark Castle on the Mega Drive. My God, I've played some bad games in my time, but this is almost indescribably bad and fully deserving of the Retro Shamer treatment (if it hasn't already, that is).

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:12 pm

It has :P Hadn't played it myself, but I'd heard of it, I remember CVG (or was it Mean Machines Sega) calling it the worst game on the Megadrive.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Damn - missed it!

Dudley

Re: Retro Shamer Candidate

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 am

Oh not again! wrote:Dark Castle on the Mega Drive. My God, I've played some bad games in my time, but this is almost indescribably bad and fully deserving of the Retro Shamer treatment (if it hasn't already, that is).
It's not the worst game on the megadrive simply because you can (quite literally) finish it in under 3 minutes from "Press Start".

There's plenty of games just as bad where the pain is much much longer.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:20 am

Well it's definitely the worst game I've ever owned (not by choice, I hasten to add - it was a very unwelcome early-90's Christmas gift!), but I fancy giving this emulation business a go... and since this probably won't cost me any money it might be fun in a perverse sort of way to play Dudley's Top 5 Worst Mega Drive Games -

Over to you Dudley to select your top five worst games on the MD :)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:41 pm

No.

If the next Retro Shamer game isn't SNES Captain America & the Avengers, then I'll start throwing my toys out of the pram.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:29 am

Dark Castle has already been covered in RS. It was in issue 45, mate.

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:33 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Dark Castle has already been covered in RS. It was in issue 45, mate.
Well I hope you tore it the new one it so thoroughly deserves! I'm now off to find a back issue :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Shaq Fu.......nope, been done.

ok, then Dark Castle.......shizer, done that. Bionic Granny? nope, thats this issue...

what about then Batman And Robin? p!ss poor all round. plays like a dog, looks like a dog, sounds like a dog.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Imhotep on the C64

Every time an Ultimate game came out, I rushed to Boots and grabbed a copy!

I loved Staff of Karnath and Entombed - this though was a pile of steaming poo :evil:

Rock hard shoot-em-up that looked worse than a bad budget game.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:00 am

Oh not again! wrote:Well it's definitely the worst game I've ever owned (not by choice, I hasten to add - it was a very unwelcome early-90's Christmas gift!), but I fancy giving this emulation business a go... and since this probably won't cost me any money it might be fun in a perverse sort of way to play Dudley's Top 5 Worst Mega Drive Games -

Over to you Dudley to select your top five worst games on the MD :)
If we're restricting it to the MD, DC is certainly up there. :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 am

The worst game ever made imo is Championship Hockey on the SMS. It's incredible it was actually released at all. It was released by EA in 94 and it's tough to find on ebay but I can lend whoever writes the artical my version if they want to play it on real hardware - otherwise you would be forgiven for thinking that your emulator is faulty, it's really that bad.

The computer struggles to move its players so much that you may aswell be in 2 player mode with no 2nd player. It's absolutly full of glitches that make the whole thing practically impossibe. It really must be played to be beleaved.

And the Graphics.. well it looks like pre 86 graphics never mind the fact it was one of the last releases for the system.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

Another one is

Jack and the Beanstalk by Thor

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0002562

Terrible game. Just have a go (click on the java box in the link), the collision detection is so bad. I somehow made it to screen 2 once and that was just as bad.

Shocking to think they cant have had any testers playing this game as its just dire.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Rampage on the ATARI 8Bit, I still regret paying full (Disk) price for this load of old, thrown together in 2.5 minutes compleat and utter, tosh!!! :cry:

The movement is jerky, the PMs are awfull, the sound is a afterthought, the PMs are awfull, the colision detection is rubbish, the PMs are awfull, the background graphics are blocky and it looks like very little efort has bene made in the game, oh and have I mentioned the the PM graphics are awfull?

Uridium

Post by Uridium » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:54 pm

BMX Racers by Mastertronic on the C64.

Oh how I laughed at the graphics, oh how I laughed at the "sound", oh how I laughed about the non-existent gameplay. And then oh how I cried when I realised I could have bought about 20 packets of flavoured Toffos for £1.99 instead (mmmm banana flavourrrrrrr)!!!!