Page 1 of 2

Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO [actually, no it doesn't]

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 am
by mr.zzapback
Yes, from issue 43 on.
Here's why:

• first, just because it's just too much (on a lot of different levels, and for many reasons) to publish +20 pages in a multiformat magazine, next to Retro Gamer.
• On the cover of Games™ issue 42 the 'platforms' Arcade and Retro are 'by accident' covered by the DS Lite.
• At the end of the RETRO part of the mag, Retro Gamer is being advertised as the Retro Gaming channel.
• On the Next Month in Games™ pages, there's not a word about any upcoming Retro feature in the next issue -of course, because their won't be one.

From now on, I'm sure, Imagine will stick to Retro Gamer as their voice for Retro Stuff, and give Gamesâ„¢ their 'making of' feature or whatever as a Retro Related Regular, sort of like Edge.

This is good news for Retro Gamer (the mag, the makers and readers) because all worthy Retro content will now be focused on one single magazine, ensuring its existence, quality and diversity.

It's good news for me too, because now I don't have to by Gamesâ„¢ anymore, a magazine I hate, and which I solely bought for the Retro bits.
As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.

I'm glad to inform you all, beforehand, about the smartest move Imagine could possibly make at this point.

Ta! 8)

Re: Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:44 am
by Kai
mr.zzapback wrote: As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.
8)
That seems expensive, but it's even more expensive over here: €12,50. (almost 9 B.pounds)

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:54 am
by LeeT
Is this offical news or just a rumour? :?

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:04 am
by boyo
Ironically a lot of us here buy Games Tm for the retro section. Surely this will result in a dip, maybe not that signifcant, in sales.

Personally I have never been interested in the non-retro section of Games Tm as Edge satifies all my reading interest there.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:52 am
by Darran@Retro Gamer
Well, considering I've just written the past two retro sections for the magazine. You couldn't be more wrong.

The retro section is an essential part of gamesTM, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Just because Imagine has two retro mags, it doesn't mean that one of them is going to be closed down.

Re: Games™ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am
by Morkin
mr.zzapback wrote:
It's good news for Games™ as well. Their public won't be bothered anymore by Retro stuff, a part of the mag most of them skipped anyway, because they only want to read about the latest FPS, or interesting details about the next gen wars.
How do you know that most of them skipped it ?

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:02 am
by cheeky_muffin
Besides I thought that was Future's way of thinking (alledgely!) We buy some mags from a different publisher like C+VG. Hang on a mo, we have Gamesmaster in our stable. We best close down C+VG, never mind its 20 year history! :lol:

Re: Games™ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:02 am
by Darran@Retro Gamer
Morkin wrote:
mr.zzapback wrote:
It's good news for Gamesâ„¢ as well. Their public won't be bothered anymore by Retro stuff, a part of the mag most of them skipped anyway, because they only want to read about the latest FPS, or interesting details about the next gen wars.
How do you know that most of them skipped it ?
It's pure speculation. Nothing more, nothing less

Re:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:36 am
by Dudley
cheeky_muffin wrote:Besides I thought that was Future's way of thinking (alledgely!) We buy some mags from a different publisher like C+VG. Hang on a mo, we have Gamesmaster in our stable. We best close down C+VG, never mind its 20 year history! :lol:
C+VG was closed before Future bought it. They bought the website and the rights to restart the magazine.

Re:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:04 am
by LeeT
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well, considering I've just written the past two retro sections for the magazine. You couldn't be more wrong.

The retro section is an essential part of gamesTM, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Just because Imagine has two retro mags, it doesn't mean that one of them is going to be closed down.
Glad to hear it - I've bought every issue of it, primarily for the Retro section.

Re: Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:55 am
by Smurph
mr.zzapback wrote:Yes, from issue 43 on.
Here's why:

• first, just because it's just too much (on a lot of different levels, and for many reasons) to publish +20 pages in a multiformat magazine, next to Retro Gamer.
• On the cover of Games™ issue 42 the 'platforms' Arcade and Retro are 'by accident' covered by the DS Lite.
• At the end of the RETRO part of the mag, Retro Gamer is being advertised as the Retro Gaming channel.
• On the Next Month in Games™ pages, there's not a word about any upcoming Retro feature in the next issue -of course, because their won't be one.

From now on, I'm sure, Imagine will stick to Retro Gamer as their voice for Retro Stuff, and give Gamesâ„¢ their 'making of' feature or whatever as a Retro Related Regular, sort of like Edge.

This is good news for Retro Gamer (the mag, the makers and readers) because all worthy Retro content will now be focused on one single magazine, ensuring its existence, quality and diversity.

It's good news for me too, because now I don't have to by Gamesâ„¢ anymore, a magazine I hate, and which I solely bought for the Retro bits.
As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.

I'm glad to inform you all, beforehand, about the smartest move Imagine could possibly make at this point.

Ta! 8)
Oh, yeah, you're right: and Paul McCartney is dead because he has no shoes on on the cover of Gtm issue 42, and you can't see him because he's invisible.

I have been buying Gtm for ages now, for the complete package. I know loads of people who read it because of both modern and retro coverage. It's the mag's USP, for f**k sake. If they got rid of it they'd just be a less up their own arse Edge.

And don't buy it if you hate it.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 am
by merman
Can I suggest a thread title change? Because I almost had a heart attack when I read it.

Re: Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 am
by CraigGrannell
Keep it civil, Smurph. Sure, Rob jumped the gun here, but so what?

merman—thread title changed!

Re: Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 am
by koopa42
Smurph wrote:
Oh, yeah, you're right: and Paul McCartney is dead because he has no shoes on on the cover of Gtm issue 42, and you can't see him because he's invisible. Nob.

I have been buying Gtm for ages now, for the complete package. I know loads of people who read it because of both modern and retro coverage. It's the mag's USP, for f**k sake. If they got rid of it they'd just be a less up their own arse Edge.

And don't buy it if you hate it.
Ha ha ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats the best post i've read on here all month

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:48 am
by retro mania
GamesTM is fine the way it is both new and retro content.





Much better than edge :wink: