Price Guide

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chinnyhill10

Price Guide

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:18 pm

I love the price guide in the new look mag. Helps you keep abreast of the market movements.

Couple of things that may or may not be possible. Will it be the same machines covered every month? Would be nice for some other machines to get a mention. A few months back a boxed Sinclair QL was going for silly money on Ebay for example.

Also (and this may be very sad and also alot of work) would it be possible to show the climbers and fallers each month in terms of values so we can see the market trends. Anyone who used to read New Computer Express will remember they had a huge free adverts section and for a time they tracked the market values of each major format week to week. Obviously this is more difficult for RG to do as NCE already had the price data from their own pages but it would be interesting to see when it's a good time to buy Speccys and sell C64's etc.

Oh, one comment on the listings this month, it lists the CPC 664 as more common than the 6128. The 664 had a production run of just a few months and I've never even had my hands on one. It is certainly the rarest of the CPC's.

Dudley

Re: Price Guide

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:28 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:I love the price guide in the new look mag. Helps you keep abreast of the market movements.

Couple of things that may or may not be possible. Will it be the same machines covered every month? Would be nice for some other machines to get a mention. A few months back a boxed Sinclair QL was going for silly money on Ebay for example.

I was assuming it was a one off article. It doesn't seem that sensible to use that many pages every month for basically the same info.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 am

It needs updating though. No Orics for starters. No doubt there are loads of others missing too. It doesn't need to be as big as it is this month, removing the images might get it down enough to be a regular. Perhaps once per quarter otherwise?

I can't see price tracking working on a monthly basis for buying/selling. ebay prices fluctuate wildly within a fortnight, never mind the space of time needed for print deadlines. Its always only going to be a rough guide.

As an online supplement to the mag it would work...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:36 am

Dudley wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:I love the price guide in the new look mag. Helps you keep abreast of the market movements.

I was assuming it was a one off article. It doesn't seem that sensible to use that many pages every month for basically the same info.
I was assuming that it would be something that is in every month. Like the buyers guide that some mags often carry every month. I could be wrong however.

lucky spencer

Post by lucky spencer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:55 am

I don't think this should be a reguar piece. If I were to become regular then maybe more in depth articles into each company or computer/console. Maybe incorporate it into the retroinspection section. Also I would prefer it if the mag did not cover all the different computers every month. As I said maybe more in depth on one company instead of all of them only very breifly
You can sack that right off!!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:03 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I was assuming that it would be something that is in every month. Like the buyers guide that some mags often carry every month. I could be wrong however.
Yeah, it will be appearing every month, like the guides you get in classic car magazines...

C16

Post by C16 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:09 am

I thought this section was really good. GamesTM have tried to do this, but looks like you guys have gone the extra mile. You seem to have most retro machines in there, even my baby the C16/Plus 4. Have you thought about adding the C116, one of the rarest of the range?

Well done :D

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:07 am

I have a quick question about the side panels, which cover unusual sales of retro items. Are you only going to be using eBay, or VideoGameAuctions, Yahoo! Japan and selective private online markets as well? Just curious. :)
Last edited by Szczepaniak on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:25 am

This was a nice touch, although I'm not sure it needs to be there every issue. Also very surprised to see the Amstrad 6128 described as rarer than the 664. I thought the 664 was only in production for about six months, whereas the 6128 had a pretty long shelf life?

Sean

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:14 am

664s are as rare as hen's teeth. They regularly go for more than $100AU, that is if they don't have the problem with the keyboard membrane which seems to be common in that model. 6128s I've seen go for as little as $10AU with a fully working disc drive.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:10 am

seanmcmanus wrote:This was a nice touch, although I'm not sure it needs to be there every issue. Also very surprised to see the Amstrad 6128 described as rarer than the 664. I thought the 664 was only in production for about six months, whereas the 6128 had a pretty long shelf life?

Sean
Well indeed. I did mention this above. The production run of the 664 was very short (a matter of a few months) and you are looking at a sales in the tens of thousands for this model compared to millions for the other two. It's so rare that I can only think of one person who actually owned one and that was Amstrad Action writer and coder Richard Fairhurst. Every AA reader knew he owned one yet nobody would have cared if it had been a 6128!

Only a brief mention given to the Plus machines which are often more saught after due to the enhanced features but also because the machines are far newer and hence less likely to be suffering from age related problems.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:26 am

Oops - sorry I missed your mention of the 664 above.

Sean

sparky

Post by sparky » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 am

I browsed over the price guide and must say I was a little unsure at the prices placed against alot of the hardware. Some were very inaccurate.

There seems to be two elements to retro hardware these days, the Ebay price and the highstreet price.

Prices fluctuate dramatically on Ebay and there's definately a 'right place, right time' auction, as well as the auctions that you have more chance to win based on their end day (Saturday/Sunday).

Many online retro stores seem to charge excessive amounts for kit and software, thus I'll only visit them in times of urgency.

Because of this, I'm not a huge fan of the priceguide in it's current form, if RG are going to provide one, It needs to be done in more detail like a 'second hand' car guide.

Definately a good idea, but I feel more accuracy and a precise overview needs to be applied.

StartTheBiddingLow

Post by StartTheBiddingLow » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:54 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote: I was assuming that it would be something that is in every month. Like the buyers guide that some mags often carry every month. I could be wrong however.
Yeah, it will be appearing every month, like the guides you get in classic car magazines...
Unless the guide changes often, there's no point repeating it often.

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:08 pm

Well like pretty much everyone else I loved the price guide and as a result am probably nipping out to buy a cheekily priced neo-geo pocket colour tommorrow!

Do you think theres any possibility of exploring the world of peripherals at some point? After all any game no matter how brilliant is only as good as the input device allows it to be (well and the gamer). I know there are some weird and unusual controllers out there and add ons...
Genetics rolls strange dice on the green baize of life...